Academy 1/48 A-10C

12 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Does the kit have decals or something to represent the AN/ARR-47 sensors?  All I see are empty circles on the wingtips and plain tubes on the tail cone.

They do not, maybe something a aftermarket decal company will tackle ?

Steve

1 hour ago, A-10 LOADER said:

They do not, maybe something a aftermarket decal company will tackle ?

Steve

Thanks, I thought I was missing something.  Pretty sad of Academy not providing decals on the sheet.  Maybe Mike will do his wingtip/tail cone set for the Academy kit, like he did for the Italeri kit.  Disappointing that this brand new kit is already requiring some fixes.  

Before anyone says it, yes you can build a nice kit OOTB, and the kit is way better than any previous A-10 kit, but errors like the intake depth and nothing for the MWS sensors detract from how good the kit generally is.  The annoying thing, to me at least, is they could have easily been fixed by Academy.

3 minutes ago, Solo said:

Yes, I do believe I can do it much better than any decals can.

Those are really tight spaces to add all those details to Solo, I'm very interested in seeing what you can do.

Steve

1 hour ago, Solo said:

Have you got good pictures of that sensor on A-10 wingtips?

There is the same sensor in the rear facing and downward facing tubes on the tail cone.  Just search for A-10C AN/AAR-47.

Here’s a picture of the ones on the tail.  Note they are slightly recessed in the tubes.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/Fairchild-A-10C-Thunderbolt-II/2445758/L

Edited by Dave Williams
13 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

There is the same sensor in the rear facing and downward facing tubes on the tail cone.  Just search for A-10C AN/AAR-47.

Here’s a picture of the ones on the tail.  Note they are slightly recessed in the tubes.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/Fairchild-A-10C-Thunderbolt-II/2445758/L

Maybe some small jewlery crystal from Micheals might work. They come in diferent colors and sizes.

Dave

17 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Those are really tight spaces to add all those details to Solo, I'm very interested in seeing what you can do.

Steve

I do believe UV clear resin and Toolz punch and die will make it. It is really not so difficult.

Edited by Solo
2 hours ago, Tracy White said:

Is Quinta still a Russian company?

Yes. Eduard Space, Red Fox and Kelik are a few companies offering similar style products to Quinta, they just don’t currently have Academy kit/A-10 exterior products at this time. 

18 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Are the A-10's inservice still using the same Aces II seat? Or have they switched to the newer one with the folded down Pitot's?

I can speak with authority that IN ANG seats have the fixed pitots.

FWIW they all have sheep skin cushions.