Painting after Gluing Engines to Wings

So I realize there is a seperate section for Tools and Tips but thought this would get more "eyes on target" so to speak if I posted it here.   My question is how do you all do your final paint once you glue the engines to the wings and blend in the attachment point.   I'm talking jets with multi engines that hang from the wings (707, 720, DC-8, Airbus), etc.).   I've always prepainted the engines and then glue them on after the kit has been painted and decaled.   I'm left with the unsightly seam/joint.   Gluing and filling the joint before paint looks so much cleaner but how to mask and paint the engine?

Don, You may want to mosey over to airlinercafe.com and check out these two threads (720B) & (VC10) where Mike (Convair990A) gives excellent detailed instructions on creating solid pylon-to-wing and pylon to fuselage joints before removing the engine(s) and painting, then re-installing the engine(s) without the ugly seam. K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
  • 2 weeks later...

I will be doing this on my 1/100 and 1/144 707's, and 720 builds. You've seen my threads I'm betting. All my engines are on and filled prior to priming.

You have to have a plan on what you're painting first, then work in layers. You'll see that I already started with the Coroguard on a couple of them first. That will be masked off, then I'll start in with black and blue basing for the bare metal surfaces. Those get masked off then I move on to the White and Color phases.

Tracy