So The Rumor Was That Kitty Hawk Molds ...

...were bought by Trumpeter as well as the Panda line, their ground equipment stuff.   There were a few posts, one by "Rumormonger" himself and to this day....I'm making like Yukon Cornelius.....(Nuthin'!)

So I assume that Trumpeter, being very close-mouthed about their business....but does anyone know the deal here?  Would be very worthwhile to know as I had a few items on the "must have list for stashability purposes and stuffing the closet with more things I will never build.  But you know...

Anyone have any intel?  

I have heard that the Chinese IM company made unauthorized changes to some of the kits designs for “easier production” that really made for some difficult building. Such as the simple round cowl on the T-6 split into 4 pieces that have to be assembled into a perfect shape.  Almost sounds like intentional sabotage by the IM people hoping they could take the designs and run with them. 
I wanted another T-28 kit and paid the premium price just to get one.  I want taking a chance on a re-release that might not come for another 5-10 years.  I’m getting too old for that kind of a wait. 
But I posted a very similar question as yours on another forum and no one really had any answers.  I’m wondering if the Chinese economy might have something to do with the radio silence on these kits. 

20 hours ago, Scott Smith said:

Almost sounds like intentional sabotage by the IM people hoping they could take the designs and run with them. 

Seems it's the end-user who always suffers.  But....after all, I guess it's just a hobby.  To them, of course, it's a business and has to generate revenue and the revenues have to exceed costs.   In many cases, it's just that simple.  But to intentionally alter a mold or method-of-production is (possibly) a "cardinal sin".  I remember some other things that went like that but not with model kits.  Like when Hot Wheels went to the "fast wheels" bit and the cast metal cars looked more like toys than collectible miniatures.  But still, they found a bigger audience in the eight-and-under set and many adults today have their collections in secret bunkers.  Personally, I thought the changes ruined the whole thing for me, but who am I to blow against the wind?

6 hours ago, nspreitler said:

The Trumpeter kits have only gotten better,  I doubt they would want to release a bunch of Kittyhawk junk under their name.   I think if they do come out again it will be under a new brand name 

Junk is a relative term.  The F9F-8 Cougar was a gem and it's getting $180-$220 on theBay

I also thought the 1/32 F-5F was pretty well done.  By the time I found the money to get either, KH had shut down.

I wouldn’t call them junk from the one I built.  Sure, had some difficulties due to some strange designs (some were also related to changes made as I mentioned above) but as a modeler you should be able to make changes on the fly and not build everything exactly as the instructions tell you to.  I find instructions on any kit a suggestion. 😆

Heres my Texan I built.  I have another in the stash, two T-28’s, F-86D and a Kingfisher. 

RpN4qp.jpg

0JLPPV.jpg

Very nice job, Scott!  They offered up kits of things that others did not.  

I guess at the end of the day, I just wish I could get my grubby little mitts on a couple of the ones I wanted.  Perhaps, after that, maybe I don't care what happens.   However, and also, any new kitmaker is welcome in my world and the "best in the business" Tamiya, etc., keep upping their game.   Z-M has certainly done some nice stuff and I guess I'll wait forever for Trumpeter's 1/32 F-106 but that's ok too.   Meanwhile, 3D printing is becoming quite a thing.  It may be the eventual replacement of the whole shebang.

On 12/20/2022 at 6:26 PM, VADM Fangschleister said:

Junk is a relative term.  The F9F-8 Cougar was a gem and it's getting $180-$220 on theBay

I also thought the 1/32 F-5F was pretty well done.  By the time I found the money to get either, KH had shut down.

I agree. I have both the F9F-8 and 8T and while there's enough plastic in the sprues alone to make another kit, the kits themselves are quite well done. I think the weakness in the two kits is the cockpits. Resin replacements would have been nice. I also have a few FJ-3 Furys and I find it to be a pretty good kit if a bit fiddly. Their helicopter models seem to be sought after as well.