1/144 HAF F-16C Block 52M Aegean Tiger (modified Academy F-16A kit)

X'mas is round the corner as 2022 draws to a close. 2022 is also the Year of the Tiger in the Chinese Zodiac. Well, I thought it would be nice to round up the year with a Tiger-theme build. I did my search and chanced upon an HAF F-16C Block 52M from 335 SQN "Tiger" S/n 005. 335 SQN is the oldest squadron in the Hellenic Air Force and had inducted the last batch of F-16C 52M under the Project Peace Xenia IV signed in April 2002. The Vipers were originally designated as F-16C Block 52+ Advanced. 

I used the 1/144 Academy F-16A kit as the base model to modify as this is the only available kit from the LHS.  As usual, substantial modification is needed to transform it from a A to C variant i.e. the the enlarged stabs, extended leading fillet of fin and all those external probes, blisters and bumps using styrene strips. this was followed by a lot of putty work to fill the gaps and also to reshape the radome as original one looked too conical in shape. The most trying part was having to scratch-built the CFT using styrene. That took quite a number of manhours to get it into a reasonably looking one that fits onto the fuselage.

This build features S/N 005 from 335 SQN in Aegean Ghost Camo that took part in NTM 2016 in Spain. It featured a special Tiger theme marking on its fin, Tiger stripes on the CFT and markings on the drop tanks. 

I am happy that it all turned out okay to look reasonably acceptable in resemblance to the real bird.

Enjoy the photos. Here's wishing all ARCers and hobbyisys alike a Very Merry X'mas and a Happy and Healthy New Year 2023 ahead. 

Best regards,

S K Loh

ARC 01.jpg

ARC 02.jpg

ARC 03.jpg

ARC 04.jpg

ARC 05.jpg

ARC 06.jpg

ARC 07.jpg

ARC 08.jpg

• 2 weeks later...