Issues with Iwata Power Jet Plus

On 12/24/2022 at 2:21 AM, JoshMC said:

Hi everyone, Merry Christmas. 

I have issues with a $400 Iwata compressor I purchased recently. As soon as I pull the trigger on the gun it drops to 10-15PSI regardless of what I set the pressure at on the actual compressor. 

Any ideas? 

IMG_2238.MOV

Set the regulator to 10 or 15 psi

press the trigger on your airbrush, the pressure on the regulator drops?
If so turn the dial on the regulator until it reads 10 or 15 psi

After that the static pressure will read higher than 10 or 15 psi but at the trigger pull it should output 10 or 15 psi.

Except for that momentary 30psi blast that will ruin your paint job. You need an air reservoir to overcome whatever relief pressure the compressor’s factory setting is.  I painted with a compressor only for a year or two until I couldn’t stand not having consistent regulated air.  A tank solved that, but I could never get a moisture trap that would completely block water from the airbrush. Gave up and went with a CO2 bottle. No noise, no moisture, no draining a tank, no pressure spikes, nothing wears out. Now if I could only paint as well as the system is capable of. 

Rick L. 

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it. I’ve tried setting the regulator first then pulling the trigger to set the required pressure. I’ve also tried pulling the trigger on the gun, then setting the pressure on the regulator. I’ll go through everything again this morning. 

Didn’t realise I could paint using a simple CO2 tank?????

have a look at the two images I’ve attached. One is from the Iwata international site, the other from the Australian site. Anything look odd ??

5EE1A524-56AA-4841-8073-8ABF96E32441.jpeg

C953681C-68D5-4A85-AF7A-6B9A1D7EE4AE.jpeg

4 hours ago, Spruemeister said:

Except for that momentary 30psi blast that will ruin your paint job. You need an air reservoir to overcome whatever relief pressure the compressor’s factory setting is.  I painted with a compressor only for a year or two until I couldn’t stand not having consistent regulated air.  A tank solved that, but I could never get a moisture trap that would completely block water from the airbrush. Gave up and went with a CO2 bottle. No noise, no moisture, no draining a tank, no pressure spikes, nothing wears out. Now if I could only paint as well as the system is capable of. 

Rick L. 

That burst pressure is the downside of it.
But you just start off the model and then move it to counter that.

Now I have an industrial compressor located in a store room with a trap on it and another at the other end of the airline that takes the air from the tank to my bench.

18 minutes ago, JoshMC said:

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it. I’ve tried setting the regulator first then pulling the trigger to set the required pressure. I’ve also tried pulling the trigger on the gun, then setting the pressure on the regulator. I’ll go through everything again this morning. 

Didn’t realise I could paint using a simple CO2 tank?????

have a look at the two images I’ve attached. One is from the Iwata international site, the other from the Australian site. Anything look odd ??

5EE1A524-56AA-4841-8073-8ABF96E32441.jpeg

C953681C-68D5-4A85-AF7A-6B9A1D7EE4AE.jpeg

Gun is to hungry for the compressor. But considering you posted those two images I think you already know that.
The over pressure you will get when you first press the trigger will be quite large if you use the method above.
I was working on the basis you were using a airbrush along the lines of an HP-CS or similar not a spray gun.

You need a larger compressor with a storage tank for something like that.

Give it a try.

Set the pressure and then turn it up when youre using it like I said above.
But you wont get any good results from it.
It moves a lot of air and that compressor just isnt really designed for it.

I never really liked on demand compressors. My first compressor was built out of an old refrigerator compressor which at the time was just about all you could get, then I got another that was more recognisable as a hobby compressor but it still had the same problem, after than I got a compressor with a tank and then I realised what the problem with on demand is.

Once you get rid of the piston pulse you can really step up your game, otherwise you are always fighting it. And in your setup now you will notice it even more.

The amount of money you spent was right, you just spent it on the wrong compressor. 

2 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Give it a try.

Set the pressure and then turn it up when youre using it like I said above.
But you wont get any good results from it.
It moves a lot of air and that compressor just isnt really designed for it.

I never really liked on demand compressors. My first compressor was built out of an old refrigerator compressor which at the time was just about all you could get, then I got another that was more recognisable as a hobby compressor but it still had the same problem, after than I got a compressor with a tank and then I realised what the problem with on demand is.

Once you get rid of the piston pulse you can really step up your game, otherwise you are always fighting it. And in your setup now you will notice it even more.

The amount of money you spent was right, you just spent it on the wrong compressor. 

Agreed. Thank you 

I’ve never been a fan of any compressor without a tank.  Not to mention, the $400 price tag when there are much better alternatives out there. I bought this Harbor Freight quiet run compressor for $160 a few months back. 

1Sfezt.jpg

My only regret is not waiting for a sale or usable coupon for a lower cost.  They had a 25% off on anything last week.