Best program to use for making decals?

I am looking for an AFORDABLE vector program that I can use to make my own decals. I am not looking to do overly complicated designs just maybe some tail flashes, Buno, etc. I would also like to use this to design paint mask. I am not a computer guy, in any since, so the simpler the better and something that will not break the bank. Any and all help would be great, thanks in advance.

Dave Fassett 

Edited by Bulldog 09
  • Bulldog 09 changed the title to Best program to use for making decals?

Take a look at Inkscape. It’s open source and free. I’ve been playing with it off and on for a few years. Like all vector programs, there is a fairly steep learning curve, but it seems to be a fairly powerful program. It can produce many file types, like svg and pdf, but you can’t use it to edit Adobe or Corell files. They can edit yours, though, since svg is a standard type of vector file.

There are tons of online tutorials for Inkscape, as well as several print books.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

Thank you Ben, 

Inkscape seems to be the program that everyone recommends. I downloaded it and have been tinkering around with it a little, but like you suggested I have been watching tutorials and picked up a book on Amazon. Thanks again.

Dave Fassett    

CorelDraw, in its Home & Student version, is quite affordable, less than 100 euros / dollars when I bought it. I love it, it's one of my favorite modeling tools. Drawing decals, photo analysis, making drawings, scaling existing line drawings, I think I use it for nearly all my modeling projects.

Rob