Masking Wheels...

Tried the silly putty trick.. Airsprayed white initially, put the putty on the wheel then airsprayed tire black.. Any easier way to do this? Some of the putty didn't hold and I sprayed black where, some of it sprayed onto the white wheel area... Thoughts? 

Thanks! -Ed 

For me I use my circle cutter and make my own tape masks. Most of the wheels I use on my aircraft are resin so, first they get a soapy wash, then primed, then I spray the white. I'll use a index card for cutting the circles, checking as I go until I get the diameter just right. I then transfer the cutter to a strip of Tamiya tape and, I always make extras just in case. Once the tape circles are applied I make sure to burnish down the edges real good so I don't get overspray on the hub. Spray the tire and remove the tape, simple but, that's what works for me.

Steve

edited-image_zpsszst1dnw.jpg

(edited)_IMG_7622.png

(edited)_IMG_6981.JPG

I have found Parafilm to be the best solution. Before any painting, I deepen the groove between the tire and the wheel with a pin. Then primer, and black. Mask with parafilm, cut along the edge, remove the wheel side mask, paint white. 

IMG_7529.JPG

15 hours ago, airmechaja said:

Capillary method works great for me also. Once you get used to using it, you'll be done in minutes. As stated in earlier post, the internet has many examples. :banana:

Can you elaborate a bit more on this capillary method? Thank you! 

That’s an interesting link, as they have you doing it back to front. I spray the hub colour first, then using the capillary method I paint the tyres(or am I doing it back to front🤷‍♂️).

Not the best of videos, but you’ll get the idea

Edited by scotthldr