Looking for some aftermarket decals and other goodies Academy AH-1Z

Per title...having a hard time looking for some decals. Preferably for some HMLA 369th Gunfighters in 1:35th scale, but any decals other than the sharkmouth would be welcome. I know Flying Leatherneck has some decals, but looks like they've been out of stock for a while now.

In case you're wondering, Im going to do the whole bells and whistles on this - Red Fox interior, Legend Heli blade fold rack, Legend fold set, Leatherneck goodies missile racks, turret and FMV mod, brass gun barrels, and the Eduard Big ED box plus some extra stuff on the side.  Interested in finding some aftermarket weapons like the APKWS, AGM-114 and an AIM-9 set...preferably an X as I seem to recall the X is compatible with the Zulu? Are there any aftermarket parts I am missing?

3 hours ago, utley said:

Per title...having a hard time looking for some decals. Preferably for some HMLA 369th Gunfighters in 1:35th scale, but any decals other than the sharkmouth would be welcome. I know Flying Leatherneck has some decals, but looks like they've been out of stock for a while now.

In case you're wondering, Im going to do the whole bells and whistles on this - Red Fox interior, Legend Heli blade fold rack, Legend fold set, Leatherneck goodies missile racks, turret and FMV mod, brass gun barrels, and the Eduard Big ED box plus some extra stuff on the side.  Interested in finding some aftermarket weapons like the APKWS, AGM-114 and an AIM-9 set...preferably an X as I seem to recall the X is compatible with the Zulu? Are there any aftermarket parts I am missing?

I have a handful of personal copies left of my FLD sheet. Send me an email to flyingleathernecks@att.net if you'd like one. I also have the APKWS pods in the line up.

27 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

I have a handful of personal copies left of my FLD sheet. Send me an email to flyingleathernecks@att.net if you'd like one. I also have the APKWS pods in the line up.

email sent.

Also, noticed you're in Marietta, GA. I used to live there when I worked at Lockheed. You by chance the store owner of the model shop down by the big chicken?

Edited by utley
1 hour ago, Tank said:

I looked at those insignia masks and thought really hard about getting some earlier. Might get them because of the stencils. Thanks for the help on the decals, looking at them too.

On 1/7/2023 at 10:26 PM, Newtonk said:

As for goodies, take a look here... And start spending. Pilots, decals, blade fold, internals. Take your pick.

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q=Bell+AH-1Z+Viper+Cobra&fkSCALENORMALISED[]="1:00035"

Got all of them too...

I did secure some AGM-114s as well as some M299 missile racks for them and dont think theres much left for me to find now. Heres my list of stuff:

Legend avionics and ammo bay set

Legend rotor blade fold set

Legend helicopter blade fold rack

Reskit AGM-114K x 8, Reskit M299

Red Fox acrylic instrument panels

Flying Leatherneck FMV mod

LAU-7 rails

DEF FOD covers

M197 brass gun barrels

ED photoetch stuff and canopy masks...

Anyone familiar with this kit, this doesnt contain an engine does it? Its very similar to the KittyHawk AH-1Z kit, but I havent seen any photos of this models frets and havent seen any engines being displayed.

Edited by utley

I hear you on the stencils. 

The kit has engine blade face and covers that could be open but no engine included. Scalemates has the instructions posted. I haven’t heard or seen an aftermarket one. While not 100% accurate I would think you could find a Whiskey engine and add that if desired. 

I am a fan of builders choice and your free to do as you choose, however I would like to mention that at least in my and will say “limited” experience some things that you might no be aware off. While those aftermarket items would be correct for the bird, it would not correct to use them all at the same time. A bird in let’s call it deep sleep with blade fold rack is not going to be armed. You might be able to get away with a blade fold and FOD covers armed up but I would think that’s very limited scenarios. If your resting (blade fold and FOD covers) your not armed. Typically if your opening the ammo/comm panels your not fully armed. It an order of operations thing for safety. I am sure Dave will correct me if my information is wrong. 

I guess one scenario where you might and do say might have all that is an airshow but ordinances would have to be empty and/or painted as training ordinance. Not going to be mixing live ordinance and regular civilians. 

I have the kit with blade fold, blade rack and FOD covers to make the bird in a more natural state on the flightline. Haven’t decided on the markings, probably 303 as training squadrons don’t usually get any love and they where near my unit, granted it was the Whiskey’s being used then. 

So the blade rack would be only shown during an MX standup? Honestly I would even get that blade rack just to keep the model more stable on the shelf and for when I relocate. As for the engine, Im only asking because this model is obviously an upsized version of the kittyhawk model. Seen quite a few builds of this exact model on youtube, plus Ive done 2 kittyhawk models and aside from the obvious scale they're exactly the same. Kind of like how an AR15 is the smaller version of an AR10.

Alsoooooo....

Thinking about painting it in the old 369th Gunfighters colors. But like I said..only thinking about it. Most likely wont, but Ive always wondered what it would look like painted the old way.

htk-us-marine-corps-helicopters-paint-set-as14.png

Edited by utley
22 hours ago, utley said:

email sent.

Also, noticed you're in Marietta, GA. I used to live there when I worked at Lockheed. You by chance the store owner of the model shop down by the big chicken?

Haven't received anything. Did you send it to the right address?

No, don't own that shop. If you're referring to AAA, that belonged to James Corley and closed several years ago.

18 hours ago, utley said:

AN/ALQ-144

Just want to clarify....the Zulu does not use the 144

I resent the email a minute ago, see if that one went through. Yeah, I realized the jammer wasnt on the Zulu, I didnt order one of them, not sure why I put that in there.

1 hour ago, utley said:

So the blade rack would be only shown during an MX standup?

Not just maintenance but also transportation (on to a cargo plane, up from the well deck etc). 

That looks the standard three tone paint scheme used on all Marine helo for a time period. Not that it cannot be over come but the decals would either have to be black and/split at the color shift. It might look good on a Zulu or the old school all green or all blue. I am sure someone on a anniversary year will do a retro paint scheme. Heck maybe a squadron would see the build and think that looks cool to do. Your model, do it your way.

Im going to do some experimental stuff with this model that Ive seen others do - such as magnets - so things arent so permanent. Shouldnt be too hard to add detachable hardware to the aircraft while building this...

Just an FYI, but HMLA-269 had a Zulu painted in a modified tri-color scheme. They sent walk around photos and decals for it will be on my second Zulu sheet that will be released sometime this year.

273583439-5074821915872306-8550523742186

And then I came across this one....same heli, but more gorgeous!

On a side note...I know the AH-64D has a sidearm mounted on the right side of the cockpit both front and back. Does the Zulu have this as well, or are there no gun racks to mount a GAU-5A?

259461299_10162094215088636_8058129183557618527_n.jpg

Edited by utley
On 1/8/2023 at 2:46 PM, utley said:

So the blade rack would be only shown during an MX standup? Honestly I would even get that blade rack just to keep the model more stable on the shelf and for when I relocate. As for the engine, Im only asking because this model is obviously an upsized version of the kittyhawk model. Seen quite a few builds of this exact model on youtube, plus Ive done 2 kittyhawk models and aside from the obvious scale they're exactly the same. Kind of like how an AR15 is the smaller version of an AR10.

Alsoooooo....

Thinking about painting it in the old 369th Gunfighters colors. But like I said..only thinking about it. Most likely wont, but Ive always wondered what it would look like painted the old way.

Hey Utley!

Ambitious build, for sure! To clear the air on some things: on ship, the blade racks are used right up until the aircraft is just ready for launch. As soon as an aircraft shuts down on spot, the racks are installed; similarly, the racks are left on until the aircraft is spotted and they are removed immediately prior to launch (30+ knots of wind across the deck are not good for a helo when the blades aren’t turning). Therefore, a fully loaded Z with blade racks installed is completely plausible for a MEU aircraft aboard ship (see Flying Leathernecks or Werner’s Wings sheets for MEU birds). That said, the -269 tri-color scheme aircraft was never aboard ship, to my knowledge. Anyway, you could do a Z fully loaded on spot with blade racks installed (and even ground handling wheels if you desired) and it would be accurate. Regarding M4s in the cockpit, they are generally stored against the non-opening portions of the canopy (pilot: port, gunner:starboard). I would also expect an armed aircraft on spot to have AIM-9 and AGM-114 yellow seeker covers installed, as well as TDD covers on AIM-9Ms. It’s reasonable that the “cheek” doors (ammo and avi bays) would be open, as well as the canopy doors, but not the engine cowlings (the engines would have been inspected during pre-flight, before the aircraft was spotted). 

FYI, I was the Ordnance Officer for the 13th MEU on USS BOXER in 2009, the first deployment of the UH-1Y, and the same afloat NATOPS requirements for the Yankee apply to the Z regarding folding and spotting. If you really want to earn some bonus points, make sure you orient your shipboard Z 45 degrees to port so any forward firing munitions aren’t directed towards any aircraft spotted forward!

Semper Fi,

Ski

48 minutes ago, usmcski6502 said:

To clear the air on some things: on ship, the blade racks are used right up until the aircraft is just ready for launch. As soon as an aircraft shuts down on spot, the racks are installed; similarly, the racks are left on until the aircraft is spotted and they are removed immediately prior to launch (30+ knots of wind across the deck are not good for a helo when the blades aren’t turning). Therefore, a fully loaded Z with blade racks installed is completely plausible for a MEU aircraft aboard ship (see Flying Leathernecks or Werner’s Wings sheets for MEU birds).

GTG, thanks for correcting me. Does the same apply when not on ship?

7 hours ago, usmcski6502 said:

Regarding M4s in the cockpit, they are generally stored against the non-opening portions of the canopy (pilot: port, gunner:starboard).

I cant find any pics of how they're stored in the aircraft. Are there rifle racks specifically near the opposing windows? Kinda like in the 64, tilted at a 45 degree angle with the magazine pointed upwards?

15 hours ago, utley said:

On a side note...I know the AH-64D has a sidearm mounted on the right side of the cockpit both front and back. Does the Zulu have this as well, or are there no gun racks to mount a GAU-5A?

This is by far the most attractive camo ever painted for the Cobra.

On 1/12/2023 at 3:16 AM, utley said:

Unless something changed very recently, there are no official M4 racks yet cleared for the Z, the M4s are stored in the avi bays (or at least they're supposed to be)

I will say that 3-color 269 bird made my day the first time I saw it