Looking for some aftermarket decals and other goodies Academy AH-1Z

Im assuming you mean a bay thats close to underneath the pilot and gunner seat? A bay thats most likely going to stay closed anyways...so I take it nobody keeps firearms in the cockpit?

On 1/12/2023 at 2:27 AM, Tank said:

GTG, thanks for correcting me. Does the same apply when not on ship?

Nope, not so much. If you do a cursory search of Camp Pendleton’s airfield on Google maps, you’ll see nearly every bird on the line is spread. If hangar  space gets tight, they’ll go ahead and fold ‘em then.

OK, cool. I got almost everything now and just started gluing the little things on. Few little things Im missing that will be here next week hopefully, still looking at the new camo that Im likely to paint now.

20230114_160056.jpg

20230114_160051.jpg

12 hours ago, usmcski6502 said:

Nope, not so much. If you do a cursory search of Camp Pendleton’s airfield on Google maps, you’ll see nearly every bird on the line is spread. If hangar  space gets tight, they’ll go ahead and fold ‘em then.

GTG, appreciate the information.

I managed to figure out the legend blade fold kit...unfortunately the resin shrank below tolerances and cant use it. OTOH, I didnt destroy or mangle the other pieces, so Im likely just to have to hand scratch design the kit rotors to work instead.

Also, the cockpit I just noticed is somewhat inaccurate with where they place the armor plating so I will be placing it in the proper spot. In the model it looks like its part of the tub, but its mounted on the door/window instead.

20230115_171942.jpg

Edited by utley

First milestone - gun finished (somewhat). neo magnet installed in the tub and the gun, so its 100% removable at any time. Had I know there was no bottom cover for the gun turret, would have painted it beforehand.

20230115_222416.jpg

20230115_222456.jpg

20230115_222043.jpg

20230115_211454.jpg

20230115_224535.jpg

Edited by utley

Is it that common those vipers fly with those guns right out in the open exposed to the elements? I went through all the sprues to see if this door does actually exist and checked the instructions...no door. No hopper, no feed ramp, no gerbil to wind the gun up...its like this gun is a reflection of my soul - missing a lot of stuff and generally unhappy.

On 1/7/2023 at 7:12 PM, Dave Roof said:

Would you happen to have a color guide and layout sheet for HMLA269th's color scheme?Not looking to paint anytime soon, but would like to order the paints and need FS colors if possible...

On 1/14/2023 at 3:37 AM, utley said:

Im assuming you mean a bay thats close to underneath the pilot and gunner seat? A bay thats most likely going to stay closed anyways...so I take it nobody keeps firearms in the cockpit?

Correct, the the large bays underneath the cockpit that house the ammo box for the gun as well as avionics boxes.

Progress report:

Dog ate my rotor blade homework. Ordered a replacement sprue off ebay...want to know what love is? Its the ability to keep yourself from choking the hell out of someone/thing who dun fkt up. Think he looks guilty? Im thinking no.

Also Legend came back to me and they're sending me a new blade fold kit within the week.

Cockpit coming along nicely. Got the seats textured, photo etched started with the rudder pedals installed. They arent perfect, but I dont think they look that bad either.

Tail rotor looking OKish...going to straighten it out a tad bit. Otherwise they look acceptable to me...

20230118_000449.jpg

20230120_020811.jpg

20230120_020649.jpg

20230120_010606.jpg

20230107_191927.jpg

5 hours ago, utley said:

Progress report:

Dog ate my rotor blade homework. Ordered a replacement sprue off ebay...want to know what love is? Its the ability to keep yourself from choking the hell out of someone/thing who dun fkt up. Think he looks guilty? Im thinking no.

Also Legend came back to me and they're sending me a new blade fold kit within the week.

Cockpit coming along nicely. Got the seats textured, photo etched started with the rudder pedals installed. They arent perfect, but I dont think they look that bad either.

Tail rotor looking OKish...going to straighten it out a tad bit. Otherwise they look acceptable to me...

20230118_000449.jpg

I hope to be releasing a corrected tail rotor soon.  I have to print them out in sufficient quantities to sell

Floyd

1 minute ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

I hope to be releasing a corrected tail rotor soon.  I have to print them out in sufficient quantities to sell

Floyd

Please tell us more about this? I am super interested! 💵

19 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Floyd

Agreed, would like to know more!

On a side note, where can I find some 1:35 seeker covers for the AIM-9? One of the last things I need, really...or can I get away with a set of 1:32 Sidewinders?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/eduard-632141-aim-9m-l-sidewinder--1258307

Edited by utley
On 1/20/2023 at 8:18 AM, Tank said:

Please tell us more about this? I am super interested! 💵

The overall shape of the kit blades is wrong.  It is tapered.  Plus we've added more detail to the hub assembly.  Have some other AH-1Z items that we are working on for the kit.

Floyd

IMG_1379.jpg