Looking for some aftermarket decals and other goodies Academy AH-1Z

58 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

The overall shape of the kit blades is wrong.  It is tapered.  Plus we've added more detail to the hub assembly.  Have some other AH-1Z items that we are working on for the kit.

Floyd

IMG_1379.jpg

Noice! 😍💵💵

1 hour ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

The overall shape of the kit blades is wrong.  It is tapered.  Plus we've added more detail to the hub assembly.  Have some other AH-1Z items that we are working on for the kit.

Floyd

IMG_1379.jpg

Any timeline for them yet?

Started detailing the cockpit, starting with the Red Fox cockpit decals. Gonna set this aside for a while and figure out where exactly Im going to take it. Gotta finish upholstering the seats, then its off to fine details and adding stuff missing.

20230124_030109.jpg

998728140_20230124_0300531.jpg

Big update:

Got the hellfires basically finished. Have to paint and put the clear pieces on. Those photo etched fins....never again.

Avionics and ammunition bay are located, starting to tidy up the joints and have to shim a few small areas. Nothing big.

Still waiting on replacement blade folds; the first set I got was about .10" shorter than they should have been.

PE parts are almost in place. All in all, about 45% done?

20230130_021927.jpg

20230130_021918.jpg

20230130_021906.jpg

20230130_021842.jpg

20230130_021320.jpg

20230130_021252.jpg

20230129_212804.jpg

20230129_212814.jpg

Why cant I edit that last post? Just meant to post that I have a lot of cleanup left to do on the tip pylons and the vert stab.

Edited by utley
  • 1 month later...

Main fuselage primed and looking for errors. The avionics bay looking really good, but still has just a tad bit more work to do. I bought a secondary AH-1Z kit; this one isnt turning out as good as I had thought it would. The bottom seam really stands out for some reason and Im going to have to putty a bit...shouldnt be like that. So this one will be delegated to a test article while I build up the second to showroom level.

20230301_010039.jpg

20230301_010044.jpg

20230301_010050.jpg

20230301_010100.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 1/21/2023 at 2:22 PM, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Floyd

IMG_1379.jpg

I know I kind of abandoned this project, but Ill be restarting it here shortly and would like to know if you were intending to release a replacement set? I havent seen anything mentioned on your FB page regarding these, so thought I would ask...

Also I have a bit more upgrades for the helicopter now too so once Im done with my AH-64DI Saraf and E variants, Ill be finally ready to start work on this thing again.

Edited by utley
On 1/8/2023 at 3:53 AM, Tank said:

I hear you on the stencils. 

The kit has engine blade face and covers that could be open but no engine included. Scalemates has the instructions posted. I haven’t heard or seen an aftermarket one. While not 100% accurate I would think you could find a Whiskey engine and add that if desired. 

I am a fan of builders choice and your free to do as you choose, however I would like to mention that at least in my and will say “limited” experience some things that you might no be aware off. While those aftermarket items would be correct for the bird, it would not correct to use them all at the same time. A bird in let’s call it deep sleep with blade fold rack is not going to be armed. You might be able to get away with a blade fold and FOD covers armed up but I would think that’s very limited scenarios. If your resting (blade fold and FOD covers) your not armed. Typically if your opening the ammo/comm panels your not fully armed. It an order of operations thing for safety. I am sure Dave will correct me if my information is wrong. 

I guess one scenario where you might and do say might have all that is an airshow but ordinances would have to be empty and/or painted as training ordinance. Not going to be mixing live ordinance and regular civilians. 

I have the kit with blade fold, blade rack and FOD covers to make the bird in a more natural state on the flightline. Haven’t decided on the markings, probably 303 as training squadrons don’t usually get any love and they where near my unit, granted it was the Whiskey’s being used then. 

there is an engine for the Zulu. its the T700

IMG_8140.jpeg

IMG_8141.jpeg

Edited by Rotorman

OOh, Ive never seen that before and Ive even been looking for upgrade parts for this too...man, thanks for pointing that out! Not sure if that one will fit though...

Edited by utley
31 minutes ago, utley said:

OOh, Ive never seen that before and Ive even been looking for upgrade parts for this too...man, thanks for pointing that out! Not sure if that one will fit though...

It comes with either Left and right engine if I recall right.
Maybe a bit a surgery required but imagine how your amazing helo would look with 2 engines showing??? And there I go, creating more work for a fellow modeler..sorry.

in any case I am watching your great progress on this build.

oliver

Edited by Rotorman
21 hours ago, utley said:

I know I kind of abandoned this project, but Ill be restarting it here shortly and would like to know if you were intending to release a replacement set? I havent seen anything mentioned on your FB page regarding these, so thought I would ask...

Also I have a bit more upgrades for the helicopter now too so once Im done with my AH-64DI Saraf and E variants, Ill be finally ready to start work on this thing again.

You're correct.  I need to add that to the website.

Floyd

23 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

You're correct.  I need to add that to the website.

Floyd

Awesome, ordered today thank you! You mentioned other things as well that you were working on with the Zulu, you have anything else?

Edited by utley
On 4/14/2024 at 4:57 PM, Rotorman said:

there is an engine for the Zulu. its the T700

IMG_8140.jpeg

IMG_8141.jpeg

Ive thought about getting this engine for the past few days...without all the references I need, theres no way I can do this without scratch building things I dont even know exists, so Im going to squash this idea for a while...at least until I figure out if I CAN do it easily. Its something Ive never really tried before and Im having a hard enough time with aftermarket stuff as it is.

Awesome, ordered today thank you! You mentioned other things as well that you were working on with the Zulu, you have anything else?

I've debated on some LAU-61 and LAU-68 pods but think I'll leave those for someone else to do.  I have some printed up, if you're interested PM me.  Don't forget the Aux tank for the Cobra.

Floyd

Ive thought about getting this engine for the past few days...without all the references I need, theres no way I can do this without scratch building things I dont even know exists, so Im going to squash this idea for a while...at least until I figure out if I CAN do it easily. Its something Ive never really tried before and Im having a hard enough time with aftermarket stuff as it is.

Get the book from CAVU Publications.  Everything you'd like or need to know about the Zulu

Floyd

Also if you do get Floyd's aux tanks, one thing to note is that out of the box, they're configured as if they're going to be mounted to a Whiskey.  The bracket containing the plumbing for the Zulu is differently shaped and doesn't include the cylindrical compressor due to the fuel on the Zulu being pumped by the aircraft's internal OBIGGS system.