AV Vallejo air brush paint

I have tried Vallejo Air paints and while they have a very extensive range of colors and varnishes they lack adherence to plastic so they need to be painted over primer.  You will still need to be careful when masking over them.  They also scratch easily.  I usually use them for touch ups and hand painting small items.  You definitely need to use Vallejo thinner for thinning and clean up.

I use Vallejo Air paints for my builds.  Once you figure out the thinning ratio's they spray pretty nice.  I do agree that they can scratch easily but once it is fully cured I've had no issues.  As for being shiny, I haven't noticed, but once I spray a coat of Vallejo Matte finish it toned down alot.

• 4 weeks later...

The standard answer of thinning to the consistency of 2% milk works.  For my set up, I usually do about 20-30% thinner to paint, but then I am usually doing thin layers.  There have been times where I will just do only a couple of drops of airbrush thinner to the paint.  The most important thing I have found is to use airbrush flow improver.  The paint does have a tendency to dry at the tip and it does help.

• 1 month later...

what’s a good and cheap thinner for Vellejo?

I’ve used Vellejo’s own thinner with good results but would prefer to use something cheap that’s a regular household item.   I’ve heard of using distilled water but I find it works not that great.

Edited by toadwbg