1/32 Revell Tomcat “GI Joe Skystriker”

On 2/16/2023 at 5:29 PM, Cool Hand said:

Try GIMP. It's a free image editor similar to Photoshop.

I’ve been “GIMPing” along and struggling a bit.   I got the Eagle sillouettte cropped out of the red circle but can’t seem to figure out how to sharpen the edges of the Eagle.   I see the sharpen tool but can’t seem to work it right.   

if anyone wants to help me out let me know!   Thanks

TLDR:  the Eagles edges are blurry and I need to sharpen them!

BA07B7B5-AFCC-4E41-897C-5D5F6DB64AA5.jpeg

Edited by toadwbg
4 hours ago, toadwbg said:

I’ve been “GIMPing” along and struggling a bit.   I got the Eagle sillouettte cropped out of the red circle but can’t seem to figure out how to sharpen the edges of the Eagle.   I see the sharpen tool but can’t seem to work it right.   

if anyone wants to help me out let me know!   Thanks

TLDR:  the Eagles edges are blurry and I need to sharpen them!

BA07B7B5-AFCC-4E41-897C-5D5F6DB64AA5.jpeg

This will seem tedious, but your best bet will to be create a new layer and trace over the image with the paint brush tool. Just use a color that's not black initially (I like red) so you can tell what you've drawn from what you haven't. You can make the new layer black when you are done. For the finer lines, you may need to scale down the smallest brush size 50%.

How many pixels tall is the Eagle? 

I have some super nice resin front and rear cowlings from an old Tomcat resin set in my spares box.   They don’t quite fit or drop into this Revel kit without major surgery however.

but damn there just too nice NOT to use!

07C38F36-72CC-4DFD-8026-C35D1A0E7244.jpeg

UPDATE:  I did it.  I cut away the Revel plastic cowlings and did a dry fit below.   I got some construction to do to blend them in and secure them yet.   But I love how they look.

0A90034F-D584-4A62-8167-3419081FA910.jpeg

Edited by toadwbg

Needing to complete the cockpit so I can paint the black shadow trim around it.   Most historical builds I do the cockpit first, but when I’m going to finish it off in flight with pilots like this I’ll do it last sometimes

Concerning the “green army soldier” pilot figures, their rigid poses just aren’t working for me.   Searching for some better ones.   I do have some nice Resin Bang seats from an old build I’ll be using.

60EC8583-5DBB-45E3-8A2A-717DD6ED909E.jpeg

Edited by toadwbg
On 2/20/2023 at 1:28 PM, Cool Hand said:

This will seem tedious, but your best bet will to be create a new layer and trace over the image with the paint brush tool. Just use a color that's not black initially (I like red) so you can tell what you've drawn from what you haven't. You can make the new layer black when you are done. For the finer lines, you may need to scale down the smallest brush size 50%.

How many pixels tall is the Eagle? 

Pixel Size us approximately 1000x1000.   Pretty big

I did get started on this today!

1D3F6DF0-367C-446A-83C5-B2202F55805B.jpeg

Edited by toadwbg

A little cutting, hidden support structure, superglue, putty and this things looking pretty good.   Got a little clean up and touch up to do.

With the canopy closed you won’t see much below the cowling, pilots, and seat tops, so not concerned with the instrument panels.

D03B84CD-D501-4323-8F59-08A39F6A5BC5.jpeg

7B67CE6A-523A-4651-AFED-0EFBC97D0C3C.jpeg

Edited by toadwbg

Spent some time in GIMP using a brush and eraser to sharpen and clean up the Eagle scan.   Looking pretty good in my latest test at print.

I can’t print the white head so I’m going to have to paint that or slide a white decal underneath 

0034A5D1-892F-467E-87A7-468A4FAA5034.jpeg

Edited by toadwbg

Dozens of little items to finish up.   I had some old 1/48 Eduard PE seat details to use up from the spares box.   Yes this is 1/48 but they tend to be oversized and actually look about right in this subject.

But damn, I hate using these PE sets.   I really only found the larger seat placecards usable.   The tiny thin ejection seat pull handles that have to be folded are completely unusable

73DDCE8F-3FD1-4AF1-8CD1-A30EDEDE5FCC.jpeg

190BD203-454C-4D4D-88A7-405575DBE430.jpeg

2BCA6DD9-88D5-4F06-B622-F575B47A4594.jpeg

24F5A429-A14D-46B0-BB42-38B947ACB65C.jpeg

Edited by toadwbg
1 hour ago, vonjhn68 said:

YO JOE!!! What a great project.

As an aside, there is a fella on YT who runs a channel called Primedmodelworks who did a similar project with the 1/48 Tamiya F-14A.

I will be following your progress with interest.

Cheers,

John

thanks. I’ll check that one out

Project is getting down there.  Received some new pilot figures the other day from a doner here (BIG Thanks!) and am putting the final touches on the missiles and cockpit.

I plunged into the printed decals tonight, they worked pretty well out of the water and into the model surface but the are STIFF and the clear film is THICC!  I’ve tried a couple applications of decal solution, Solveset definitely helped.   Going to let them rest overnight and check in the morning.   I’ll try a good layer of Future to seal them down if needed.

876F59E3-58FE-4781-BE56-524647B90CCA.jpeg

I also added a personal touch here with “USS FLAGG CVN 99”

63CD4554-45B9-46C5-A038-7908DF4A7E3F.jpeg

Edited by toadwbg
  • 11 months later...

Wow! I'm surprised I never saw this as a work in progress until now!

I've had a dream of doing a Skystriker for a few years, mainly to make Darren Roberts cringe ;). But I am really in love with these results. I just embarked on a 1/72 build myself, utilizing an Esci/AMT kit. Not the greatest F-14 kit out there, but at least it has recessed panel lines. With luck I might have it done by next weekend, but that is a tall order.

Do you have plans to take your build to the IPMS Nationals in Madison this year? I would love to potentially see it in the flesh.