First of 2023! Darth Vader's TIE Advanced X1

Hello,

While more than 90% of this was done in 2022, it was officially finished in 2023.   First week of January and I am already at 1/3 of the number of last year's completions. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png 

Darth Vader's TIE Advanced X1

There are far better kits out there, but I had the old AMT/ERTL kit from 1997 laying around.  It is supposed to be 1/36 scale.   The molds date back to 1978.  This kit has been released a gazillion times as MPC, AMT, ERTL, Revell, Kenner and others.
2v2az1mw9xJ21ND.jpg

In summary, this is probably the worst kit I've ever completed. I honestly think it was not meant to be assembled.  

Heavy moldings

2v2az1TmQxJ21ND.jpg

2v2az1TTbxJ21ND.jpg

Nothing lined up
2v2az1TV1xJ21ND.jpg

Gaps? or canyons?

2v2azFheFxJ21ND.jpg

2v2azFhaqxJ21ND.jpg

But The Force made me continue.

Rescribed panel lines. You can see here the left side done, right side yet to be touched 
2v2azYpYUxJ21ND.jpg

Tons of putty. And I mean gobs of putty!  This model has the most putty of any of my builds.
2v2eoRWeexJ21ND.jpg

2v2eoRWHHxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eoRWQQxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eoRWKuxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eoRW1JxJ21ND.jpg

Fortunately the interior is hard to see.  Vader's figure is... maybe an approximation?
2v2azFhZdxJ21ND.jpg

2v2azFhKNxJ21ND.jpg

This mess of a kit was eventually forced into submission.  
I mixed my own paint using gray, sky blue and silver. It better be enough because I can't replicate that again!
2v2eJJtbFxJ21ND.jpg

The kit is almost unbuildable.  I also found out (just like George Lucas and his team did in 1976), photographing these is quite a challenge.  The movie guys made the right call using a very light blue in their model because with the black background, it looks more silverish and metallic.  Had to take pictures in different backgrounds trying to get it right. At the end, I used white background that was darkened in Photoshop.
Pretty much box-stock but I added the 4 exhaust ports with scratchbuilt aluminum tubing rings. Gobs of putty were required for this project.  This ship only appears for a few minutes in the original movie.  I took a few artistic licenses but always trying to stay close to the original.  Light weathering. 

After a six month battle, this is the end result:
Darth Vader's TIE Advance X1

Laser blasts and stars courtesy of Photoshop
2v2eatmFFxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eatmNgxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eatm55xJ21ND.jpg

2v2eatmddxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eatmyyxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eaYm9qxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eatmrWxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eatmjGxJ21ND.jpg

Hope you like it.

Thanks,
Ismael

Yes, really good work correcting all of the issues with that kit - it looks great! And adding one more release to your list, Round 2 has it now, and they have made some improvements, including to the Darth Vader figure, but it still has many of the same original issues you had to fix.

• 3 weeks later...