Would you still build the ZM F-4 if you have the Tamiya F-4B?

Hi All,

I'm just looking for opinions from folks who, preferably, have built both the 1/48 Tamiya F-4B, and any of the Zoukei-Mura F-4 series.  I got the ZM F-4C and F-4S kits before the Tamiya F-4B came out, and I've held off getting any of the other ZM F-4 series or the Meng, hoping that Tamiya will eventually expand their F-4B into many more variants.  Anyway, back to my question.  If you were me, not having built any of the F-4 kits that I have, what would you suggest I build first?  I'm concerned that if I build the Tamiya F-4B first, that this will potentially spoil me and then I won't want to do any of the ZM kits I have.  So, would you build the ZM kits first, then the Tamiya, or do you think it really doesn't matter?  I'm inclined to do the ZM kits first, figuring that if I can do a decent job with those, the Tamiya kit should be a breeze.  But I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts and rationale for me.  Thanks in advance.

I have built multiples of the Z-M F-4s, (F-4Dx2, F-4E, F-4S, F-4C) and the Tamiya F-4B.  While the F-4B is almost perfect, I would not let it keep you from building any Z-M F-4s unless you are an adherent to the nitpickers that seem to pick apart ever kit released.  You have to remember the kits that we had before these, ESCI/ERTL, Italeri, Monogram, Revell, Hasegawa, etc.  We used to build those and thought they were great.  Now we have kits that that are advanced in surface detail, fit and overall quality and we don't seem to be able to be satisfied with them.   Sure, they have some issues but doesn't every kit.  (There are no perfect kits).  Put the calipers away and build what you got in any order that you want.

Edited by Geoff M

Britmodeller has a thread going on about a Tamiya kit announcement expected at the Nuremburg toy fair in February. It would be about the right time to announce another F-4 variant. If Tamiya announces an F-4C you might consider selling off your ZM kit of the plane if it's that big a deal to you.  Otherwise build whatever you're in the mood for. I doubt Tamiya will ever issue an F-4S and even if they announce an F-4C you should still have time to build yours before they get one on the market.

Personally I have a stack of Hasegawa kits to get through before I start looking at more Phantoms. I picked up an Academy F-4B when it was the first of the new tool Phantoms on the market and a variant Hasegawa didn't cover. I really didn't need or want a Tamiya F-4B, but bought one when I saw a deal too good to pass up. 

I started the ZM D, paused while building it to build the Tamiya B, and have gone back to the D.  While the Tamiya kit is an easier build, it does not make the ZM kit inferior. I kind of bought into the whole zen approach to the ZM kit, and I do feel it left me with a more complete building experience. However looking at the kits on the shelf, they both look great. Just the Tamiya kit got there sooner with less effort. 

3 hours ago, is it windy yet? said:

While the Tamiya kit is an easier build, it does not make the ZM kit inferior. 

Amen!

But I appreciate that, like politics, there are many ARCers who are (very much) "One Sided". :hmmm:

Gene K

Unfortunately all of the negative chatter about ZM has biased you. The ZM kits are great and are satisfying to build. In my hands the Tam B is a mere “schticle” better. I look at the various kits like chianti from different vineyards…it’s all good! Oh, I’ve built 2 Tam and 9 ZM.

3 hours ago, BillS said:

Unfortunately all of the negative chatter about ZM has biased you. The ZM kits are great and are satisfying to build. In my hands the Tam B is a mere “schticle” better. I look at the various kits like chianti from different vineyards…it’s all good! Oh, I’ve built 2 Tam and 9 ZM.

I thought the ZM kit was very well received by almost everybody.

It seemed to me the only thing wrong with it was that the Tamiya kit exists.

Thank you all for your opinions. These were EXACTLY the kind of words I was looking for from you!  I think this tells me that I ought to just do the ZM F-4C first, and then see if that experience says let’s try another way or to just do the F-4S and then head on to the Tamiya.  I appreciate the input, folks!

On 1/9/2023 at 5:09 AM, Curt B said:

Thank you all for your opinions. These were EXACTLY the kind of words I was looking for from you!  I think this tells me that I ought to just do the ZM F-4C first, and then see if that experience says let’s try another way or to just do the F-4S and then head on to the Tamiya.  I appreciate the input, folks!

Tamiya isn’t the quickest at coming out with follow on versions, so I think you’ve made a wise decision.

George

Well, you can't build a Tamiya F-4S or a ZM F-4B, so I don't quite understand why there is a dilemma regarding those two variants. There are USAF specific parts in the Bravo, so you may eventually be able to build a Tamiya F-4C, but no way to know how soon.  

I have Phantoms from Eduard (Academy), Academy, Hasegawa, and ZM. Have "B" models already on the shelf, not going to add another just because it's Tamiya. They all build into decent looking Phantoms, some are a little more or less work than others, but still great kits. 

On 1/10/2023 at 5:52 AM, Dave Roof said:

Well, you can't build a Tamiya F-4S or a ZM F-4B, so I don't quite understand why there is a dilemma regarding those two variants. There are USAF specific parts in the Bravo, so you may eventually be able to build a Tamiya F-4C, but no way to know how soon.  

Hi Dave, and thanks for your response.  Actually, the question was about the building experience, and not about the F-4 variants.  I know that we've only got the F-4B available from Tamiya, though I am truly hoping, as I'm sure many of you all, that Tamiya will be doing multiple variants of the F-4 in the future.  I realize that Tamiya does not have the best track record regarding offerings of multiple variants for many aircraft (their P-38J was a HUGELY hoped for P-38, and we were so lucky to have gotten that one already).  I'm sure that projected sales have a great deal to do with how Tamiya picks the variants they do (or don't do), and the fact that Meng has just recently joined the F-4 free-for-all doesn't bode especially well for Tamiya production of multiple F-4 variants.  We will see...but a Tamiya F-4E in 1/48 would be fantastic, and would be on my shelf as soon as it would be released, if it ever is.

Edited by Curt B

Great topic! Built the Tamiya B and have the ZM S in the stash and want to build. I’ve held off a bit on the ZM kit, but don’t expect Tamiya to do a late S anytime soon. Decided to go all in with the ZM kit and aftermarket. Looks good, sounds good and everyone I know that’s built it, likes it. But it’s not the same as Tamiya. Unless Tamiya has one out in the next year, I’ll be building the ZM kit. Still debating if it’s worth using the Hypersonic fuselage corrections, or if I’ll screw it up and cost me the kit..: 

YMMV

Brian  

24 minutes ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Great topic! Built the Tamiya B and have the ZM S in the stash and want to build. I’ve held off a bit on the ZM kit, but don’t expect Tamiya to do a late S anytime soon. Decided to go all in with the ZM kit and aftermarket. Looks good, sounds good and everyone I know that’s built it, likes it. But it’s not the same as Tamiya. Unless Tamiya has one out in the next year, I’ll be building the ZM kit. Still debating if it’s worth using the Hypersonic fuselage corrections, or if I’ll screw it up and cost me the kit..: 

YMMV

Brian  

Thanks for your comments, Brian.  Based partially on the responses here, I've decided to move ahead with my first F-4, the ZM F-4C.  It will be interesting, for sure!  I'm aware, vaguely, of the corrections you refer to.  Those are too intense for me...and from what I've seen of completed ZM F-4s, the corrections are subtle, and the lack of 'fixing' won't make MY F-4C, to me, anyway, any less of a good model than it would be with the corrections.

• 8 months later...

It's  been a long time since I've even thought about this thread...and I forgot that I'd even started it until I got the notice of a new post.  I've been in something of a model slump...I don't think I've touch a kit since one of my doggies went to the Rainbow Bridge...and that was in April.  Before that, I'd been bouncing from kit to kit, starting, but not completing anything.  I've even made it to the point of installing the engine intakes one both the Tamiya F-4B and the ZM F-4C.  Honestly, I didn't recall much difference between the two F-4 kits, except that the Tamiya kit MAY be just the smallest bit better fitting in some areas.  I've got WELL over a dozen kits that I've started  but not completed, the latest being an Academy A-10C.  My model room is a mess, and I need to get that sorted through before I even think about restarting any build!

And I've definitely decided that I'm going to build all of my ZM F-4 kits!  Eventually...

I recently saw a ZM F-4S I believe, where the grey colour REALLY showed off the error  they made on the Phantom's behind (corrected on the long noses).

Would not get a ZM without the correction set for it.

'Doh!...was on BM!

The build by HABU12 is gorgeous mind!

PCmGn2c.jpg

98517zP.jpg

jhjELuq.jpg

Edited by Bozothenutter

Fortunately for those of us who don’t like the rear fuselage problem on the Z-M kits, Hypersonic has a beautiful correction for it.

Thats a great looking F-4S! I’d like to know the builder’s technique for painting and weathering the TPS camouflage. That’s the only reason I haven’t started mine.

Ben