Paasche Airbrush....... Venting...

Ordered a Paasche VL-3MH off Amazon... Now, this is a syphon feed airbrush and although I prefer gravity feed, my plan was to get a few syphon cups and switch them out for multiple colors, rather than running thinner or water everytime down the gravity feed. So, when painting metalizers for a Flanker engine area with multiple colors, just switch out the cups.. 

Out of the box its a sharp looking airbrush. Resembles a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity, but my God, this is no H&S or Iwata... Not even an Iwata NEO or Creos. 

The build quality was poor. The imperfections in the chrome and machining is almost trash can worthy. The needle, does not slide out smooth at all and even the trigger mechanism stuck a few times. This airbrush was bought new, not used. I broke the airbrush down, lubed it, put it back and very disappointed. Didn't even run paint through it. Might return it. 

I used to have a Paasche VL about 20 years ago, and accomplished some nice things with it, but the build quality was no where near Iwata but this airbrush is just bad. 

So... I guess my question is, is this VL-3MH an old airbrush? It just doesn't seem like a quality airbrush not even in the league of a Badger, and they are not what they used to be either. 

Just venting.. Feel free to comment!

Sadly I think Paasche build quality has really suffered over the years.  I have a few Paasche Hs purchased years apart. The one from the 80s is very nice, solid, the chrome is high quality, and the threads are precise.

The next one, bought in the early 2000s seems  to not be as nice, it just does not feel as high quality. then one purchased in 2010s feels cheaper yet, like the threads are not as precise, there is play in the valve, and it just feels "cheap" . I am not really sure how to describe it.

I have a Talon I bought in 2015 or so .. and it also just feels low quality.

I find it easier to clean a gravity feed between colors, but that is subjective.  

10 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

Sadly I think Paasche build quality has really suffered over the years.  I have a few Paasche Hs purchased years apart. The one from the 80s is very nice, solid, the chrome is high quality, and the threads are precise.

The next one, bought in the early 2000s seems  to not be as nice, it just does not feel as high quality. then one purchased in 2010s feels cheaper yet, like the threads are not as precise, there is play in the valve, and it just feels "cheap" . I am not really sure how to describe it.

I find it easier to clean a gravity feed between colors, but that is subjective.  

I can sympathise... I bought myself a Talon back in about 2012 after using a VL to learn the ropes. The play that you mention with the trigger and valve is something that I experience too, it does feel cheap... no precision. It's meant to be my good airbrush.

Having recently lost the tip of my right thumb at work and being right handed, the issue with the trigger is really starting to give me the *****. I think its time to buy something better! And, no, I'm not going to start a new "which airbrush" thread!😄

Andy

9 hours ago, habu2 said:

Who was the seller on Amazon?  There are a lot of cheap knock-offs being sold there...

Pretty sure it was a legit Paasche, looking at the packaging, etc. although you have a great point and it could possibly be a knockoff.

5 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

Kurt, I also have the Talon. Its one of the coolest "looking" airbrushes but I agree, the trigger and valve feels cheap, but in comparison to this junk I bought, the Talon is like an Iwata Micron..  

I've got a Paasche around here, I think it's the VL. That's the one that's double action similar to the Badger 150, right? Both companies have done things to remain competitive in today's market but it's obviously a hard road. I'd return it and maybe get one of the many varieties of Iwata clones, most of which are manufactured by Fuso Seiki. You could also do a search for 'airbrush recommendations ' and see what develops.

hth

37 minutes ago, The Keeper said:

I've got a Paasche around here, I think it's the VL. That's the one that's double action similar to the Badger 150, right? Both companies have done things to remain competitive in today's market but it's obviously a hard road. I'd return it and maybe get one of the many varieties of Iwata clones, most of which are manufactured by Fuso Seiki. You could also do a search for 'airbrush recommendations ' and see what develops.

hth

I picked up an Iwata Neo on Amazon for $60.00... World of difference the trigger pull back is as smooth as an Iwata HP-CS... I had the VL years ago, I made some models with it. I have heard Paasche and Badger are not what they used to be. I agree, it's is hard in today's market for those manufacturers.