Future Replacement

7 hours ago, scotthldr said:

image.thumb.jpeg.5ac02757725b815a5038630afddd0350.jpeg

This is what I now use. It’s probably better than Future, although I’ve not tired dipping canopies in it yet.

This is the product which was discontinued. It is the final incarnation of what was originally called Future.  I have seen some people on youtube use a product called Quick Shine , but it does not seem to be exactly the same,  it looks like it is a little thinner and it is milky when applied, but dries clear.

Edited by Kurt H.
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, chukw said:

Offhand, I've seen it be a nice gloss- or pebbly, blotchy- even dry lakebed cracks over certain paints.

Well I suppose just like with any other chemical, there are people who don’t know how to apply them…

Shots fired!  Why so salty? I see you have 4 posts here.  I'm simply offering a different and, imho,  better option. Surely there could be even better? I still keep a "travel bottle" of Future on my desk top, for glossing instrument dials and other quick, brushable options. Open minds beat closed doors.

Better? Because I just joined your little club doesn’t mean my opinion isn’t valid. For example, I have enough experience to know that if you’re getting cracking, then you didn’t wait to let your base coat cure.  

Edited by CFster

Pst, pst... :rolleyes: Kids! Be good now, or else, I'll kick in and you're going to be damn sorry about being such spoilt little brats, you hear?

I smuggled a bottle of Pledge in my suitcase from my last trip to Cape Town (of course, you can only dream about getting any here in Buenos Aires), and it's very good stuff for shining my canopies. Any other use this stuff could ever be good at on my kits, I'm afraid it might only end in disaster because of the noobness in me.

Behave yourselves now, as I'll be watching you. :bobby:

Cheers,

Gwen 

All you have to do is lay it on wet, and close. Dust coats result in a grainy finish. If it starts to pool on an edge just use the tip of a tissue to wick the excess away. It will level itself out. It also brushes on well. 

When I heard they were discontinuing Future (or whatever they call it now,) I bought 2 bottles of it. So I should have enough for the foreseeable... future. (Sorry.) But I want to try and keep it fresh for a while. Is there a good way to preserve it in the bottles so it doesn't start drying?

• 2 weeks later...

@pminerI’m also becoming concerned since I’m down to my last few ounces of “Pledge with Future Shine”.  I’ve used it as a gloss coat for decals, as a setting solution and of course dipping canopies since being introduced to it in the early 2000’s here on ARC.

While researching possible replacements I came across this post which demonstrates clearly that the formula has changed with each iteration, and not for the better.

So maybe it’s time to finally put Future out to pasture once and for all……..

On 3/27/2021 at 12:15 AM, RichardL said:

I believe MY2014 was still a good model year for Future.  Finally have some extra time to test four different versions.

future_bottles.jpg

From left to right:  Original Future 1993, Original Future 2000, Pledge with Future Shine 2008, Pledge Revive It 2021.

I got four plastic spoons sprayed with two coats of Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black, let dry for 24 hours, then sprayed with three coats of Future straight from each bottle:  light first coat, wait 5 minutes, medium second coat, wait 5 minutes, wet final coat.  All sprayed from the same day.

spoons_01.jpg

spoons_02.jpg

• The original Future from 1993 gives the smoothest finish and the best gloss, even only after two coats.
  • The Future from 2000 is roughly the same as the original.
  • Pledge with Future Shine from 2008 shows some degradation as it is not as glossy as the the two original, but not too bad.
  • The current Pledge Revive It is noticeably thicker than the others, so I had to bump up my air pressure by 2 psi to spray it straight from the bottle.  It dries patchy in a few spots to a more satin finish.  The finish is not as smooth as the other three.

Edited by Hooker169
Can’t spell