Italeri 1/72 A-6E questions

A-6e Tram Intruder 1:72 Italeri 1392 Milouhobbies | Envío gratis

I am in the process of painting this kit. 

As far as I can tell the color color scheme is Dark Ghost Grey with Light Ghost Grey on the bottom

I used Vallejo Model Air Dark Ghost Grey and Light Ghost grey paints

The problem is the kit decals all but disappeared with the Dark Ghost Grey straight from the bottle.

I am not sure if the kit decals are just way off color wise or the Vallejo paints are way too dark. I had seen some post showing a color sample of the FS color next to the Vallejo paint and they seemed close enough, and actually the Vallejo paint was even a bit lighter

I tried going back over the Dark Ghost Grey with a 50/50 mix of Light Ghost Grey and it significantly lightened the color, but the decals still blend in way to much in my opinion

Below is a picture of the Hasegawa 1/72 FA-18C comparing the decal contrast

I was expecting the Italeri kit to appear much darker

Maybe that expectation is not correct?

Or maybe Dark Ghost Grey is not the right color?

P1102155.thumb.JPG.29ae394ded8319f5b93f66fd89b1d013.JPG

Here is a picture of the actual aircraft markings the kit seems to be based on

VMFA(AW)-533 Hawks Marine Fighter Attack Squadron F/A-18D

This is what the Italeri kit markings look like (note, the canopy is not glued on yet so there are some gaps)

99562959_P1102159(2).thumb.JPG.9275ee6219b9607997279361a52bf2e9.JPG

Has anyone built this kit using the included decals?

If so, is this how it turned out?

And if the decals are indeed off color wise, is there an after market decals set for these markings?

Or if Vallejo Dark Ghost Grey is too dark, is there a better color?

Edited by blakeh1

Thanks for the responses

It is a shame. They are really good quality decals, I guess the color is just off

Anyone come across decals for the VMA-533 Hawks that are a better shade?

I came across these, but am not sure if they are going to be the same shade as the Italeri ones ore not or what kind of quality they might be

Print Scale 72-337 Grumman A-6 Intruder

Grumman A-6 Intruder / 72-337 /

Edited by blakeh1
2 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

Another alternative for ED-403 (and 410):

aoa72002b.jpg

Thanks, even better!

At the very least, the bombs appear to be the right shade

I am a little worried about the numbers and letters though as they seem to be a similar lighter shade like Italeri's, but it is also hard to judge without seeing them in person next to a Dark Ghost Grey sample

Worth a try though. How are they quality wise? any issues with their other decals?

Below is the Italeri sheet

1931985218_P10521551(2).thumb.JPG.2cb4bb1b7345bb3a75938a30124a2d6b.JPG

Edited by blakeh1
spelling and add quote
27 minutes ago, blakeh1 said:

Thanks, even better!

I am a little worried about the numbers and letters though as they seem to be a similar lighter shade like Italeri's, but it is also hard to judge without seeing them in person next to a Dark Ghost Grey sample

Worth a try though. How are they quality wise? any issues with their other decals?

I can't give an unbiased opinion as they're my sheets, but to be honest the darkest grey (the 533 markings) did end up printing lighter than I intended on that 1/72 sheet - and similarly the VA-65  markings on another 1/72 sheet (but wasn't issue on the 1/48 and 1/32 versions).

I don't have that Italeri kit/sheet to directly compare the darkness/lightness of the greys on the sheet to the AOA one, and I'm not sure of the opaqueness of the kit decals? The AOA sheet is printed by Microscale and shouldn't have any issues for opaqueness or application (Microsol/Microset should do).

32 minutes ago, blakeh1 said:

I am a little worried about the numbers and letters though as they seem to be a similar lighter shade like Italeri's

Meant to mention - the mission marking bombs are printed the same color as the numbers/letters.

2 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

Meant to mention - the mission marking bombs are printed the same color as the numbers/letters.

That's good enough for me. I will be picking up a set then next payday!

Edited: just dawned on me that the manufacturer link is in your signature, which I assume means it is your product. Good to know and makes me feel better about taking a chance

Edited by blakeh1
12 hours ago, blakeh1 said:

Thanks, even better!

Below is the Italeri sheet

1931985218_P10521551(2).thumb.JPG.2cb4bb1b7345bb3a75938a30124a2d6b.JPG

I could use those VA-176 decals if you aren't going to use them. I'm building a kit for a gentleman who served in the squadron but can't find decals.

16 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

I could use those VA-176 decals if you aren't going to use them. I'm building a kit for a gentleman who served in the squadron but can't find decals.

We can work something out. Not looking to make money on these and shipping is pretty cheap if I send them in a letter style envelope all I would need is your address

Of course I would gladly take a trade in decals if you had any to offer (need some 1/72 A-10 ones and some 1/72 E-2C Hawkeye high vis ones), but if not, no big deal

I actually have two different sets I did not use, your welcome to either or both

This is from the A-6e TRAM kit

(although I had earmarked the national insignias and danger markings for an old A-4 Skyhawk I had that has no decals) you are welcome to the rest of the decals specific

image.png.024c6689ff2ae86844fc7b9b1054bd0c.png

image.png.4a752278825cc3643ed871b6925c923b.png

I also have these from the Italeri KA-6D Intruder I recently built since I used the Black Panthers markings

Although apparently this one is USS Forrestal on the actual decal sheet despite the instruction listing USS America??

Also now that I look again, I notice the A-6E TRAM above says USMC, but the decals say NAVY ??

I'm no expert but shouldn't it say "MARINES" if that is the case?

Or are the instructions heading wrong in listing USMC and it is actually NAVY?

Make me question Italeri decals and paint charts even more now

image.png.35bdad80504c48f3065a92296511bd8c.png

image.thumb.png.4f0cd7ebfb5770a8fac979f5206887ca.png

Edited by blakeh1
7 hours ago, blakeh1 said:

We can work something out. Not looking to make money on these and shipping is pretty cheap if I send them in a letter style envelope all I would need is your address

Of course I would gladly take a trade in decals if you had any to offer (need some 1/72 A-10 ones and some 1/72 E-2C Hawkeye high vis ones), but if not, no big deal

I actually have two different sets I did not use, your welcome to either or both

This is from the A-6e TRAM kit

(although I had earmarked the national insignias and danger markings for an old A-4 Skyhawk I had that has no decals) you are welcome to the rest of the decals specific

image.png.024c6689ff2ae86844fc7b9b1054bd0c.png

image.png.4a752278825cc3643ed871b6925c923b.png

I also have these from the Italeri KA-6D Intruder I recently built since I used the Black Panthers markings

Although apparently this one is USS Forrestal on the actual decal sheet despite the instruction listing USS America??

Also now that I look again, I notice the A-6E TRAM above says USMC, but the decals say NAVY ??

I'm no expert but shouldn't it say "MARINES" if that is the case?

Or are the instructions heading wrong in listing USMC and it is actually NAVY?

Make me question Italeri decals and paint charts even more now

image.png.35bdad80504c48f3065a92296511bd8c.png

image.thumb.png.4f0cd7ebfb5770a8fac979f5206887ca.png

That would be great. I don't need the national insignia at all. I just the squadron markings. Let me take a look in my spare decals and see if I have any 1/72 A-10 or E-2 decals. I'll let you know.

12 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

That would be great. I don't need the national insignia at all. I just the squadron markings. Let me take a look in my spare decals and see if I have any 1/72 A-10 or E-2 decals. I'll let you know.

Just PM me your address and I will send them off

Edited by blakeh1
On 1/11/2023 at 12:14 PM, blakeh1 said:

That's good enough for me. I will be picking up a set then next payday!

Edited: just dawned on me that the manufacturer link is in your signature, which I assume means it is your product. Good to know and makes me feel better about taking a chance

Just for the record, the first thing he said was they were manufactured by him.

On 1/11/2023 at 10:18 AM, ziggyfoos said:

I can't give an unbiased opinion as they're my sheets, but to be honest the darkest grey (the 533 markings) did end up printing lighter than I intended on that 1/72 sheet - and similarly the VA-65  markings on another 1/72 sheet (but wasn't issue on the 1/48 and 1/32 versions).

I don't have that Italeri kit/sheet to directly compare the darkness/lightness of the greys on the sheet to the AOA one, and I'm not sure of the opaqueness of the kit decals? The AOA sheet is printed by Microscale and shouldn't have any issues for opaqueness or application (Microsol/Microset should do).

Sucess

Just got them today an tried out a few. They are prefect and exactly what I would expect the contrast to be!

Thanks so much!

For reference, this is what the Italeri Marines decal looks like

Pics came out really dark and are not white balances since I did not bother setting up the photo booth and it is getting too dark for outside pics, but this will do for demo purposes...

1500279980_P1242167(2).thumb.JPG.5ab74186475b72a920cf5e3a76a3b713.JPG

And these are the new replacement AOA decals. 

Exactly what I would have expected

P1242168.thumb.JPG.1e6b15219b63d679f8a7cdfe15c08ea3.JPG

And replacement on the nose. You can see (just barely) the Italeri intake warning color difference

117803934_P1242166(2).thumb.JPG.f61b05d32910bfb70b38a5bae12e06ca.JPG