Hey guys... I'm presently working on an old Revell F-15E, and the weapons are definitely lacking. I bought an aftermarket weapons set, but also considering getting myself the G.W.H. F-15E... I'm wondering if any of you have experience with this particular kit in terms of its weapons load and if it will require aftermarket weapons.. I see a couple reviews but nothing substantial. Seems like the build quality is superb. Not knocking the Revell, its probably their best 1/48 kit to date, but at he almost $100.00 price point, that GWB has to be better! Thanks in advance! 

-Ed 

1 hour ago, Ed DeVivo said:

Hey guys... I'm presently working on an old Revell F-15E, and the weapons are definitely lacking. I bought an aftermarket weapons set, but also considering getting myself the G.W.H. F-15E... I'm wondering if any of you have experience with this particular kit in terms of its weapons load and if it will require aftermarket weapons.. I see a couple reviews but nothing substantial. Seems like the build quality is superb. Not knocking the Revell, its probably their best 1/48 kit to date, but at he almost $100.00 price point, that GWB has to be better! Thanks in advance! 

-Ed 

The GWH kits include bombs, whether they are useful or not depends on if you are just building out of the box or doing something specific. The F-15E been the USAF bomb truck for 30+ years, so what's appropriate for a weapon's load has changed over time.  Look up the instructions on Scalemates to figure out which boxing works best for what you want.

The GWH kit isn't flawless, more critical reviews will point out it's flaws and you can decide if they matter to you. Personally I think the Revell is the better kit to start from even if it needs updates to get the airframe up to a modern configuration.

1 hour ago, Ed DeVivo said:

-Ed 

Ive built both kits now, I liked building them and I like what I ended up with from each of them.

Personally I thought the weapon selection in the Revell kit was pretty good for the time. (Mine was the Monogram Promodeler boxing which is the Revell kit)
Its contemporary to what was available at the time.

Back then you couldnt find a GBU-15 V21 for love nor money. Today Im sure you could find half a dozen but back then there was nothing at all, and the Paveway II option wasnt all that common to find either, not in the UK anyway as UK retailers always like to make as much money as they could out of the Hasegawa weapons sets.

It has the LANTIRN pods with it and the weapons to go with it. Sure you didnt get every option with it but it has so many possible weapons loads open to it you could double up the size of the kit by just adding weapons.

The great wall kit is along the same lines as the Revell kit, I liked it, it was the same just a more modern version of it with the new targeting pod and new weapons like the small diameter bomb.

Is the GWH kit better...
No, no its not, its not worth the high price they charge for them.
They are good kits but none of them are worth that much.

I could understand if they were 100% accurate with ZERO deviation from the prototype that they are a model of.
I mean somebody has to pay the wages of the person who goes out and gathers all the information for instance, but the kit isnt 100% accurate so it doesnt warrant the price.

Having said that the GWH kits are in general over priced no matter what model you go for so its no slight against the F-15E kit. And as Revells kit is currently OOP and hard to find (so prices are high due to modellers scalping each other) then the GWH kits is a good option, but not the only one.

The F-15E can carry most weapons in the USAF inventory, so you might need after market weapons for it or you might not.

I got the kit when it was first released, so I got the SDB load out I wanted, I wanted that option myself, I remember asking about the SDB on here some years ago and nobody knew anything about them, then not many years later GWH came up with a kit with them in.

There are no Mk80 series bombs or the Mk20 Rockeye cluster bombs in the kit, but there is the AMRAMM launcher rails for all four stations.

While we are on the subject of this, a couple more questions. How is the Academy kit?? I recall seeing the Seymour Johnson F-15E several years ago when Hobby Shops were still in business near me, but never made the purchase. Secondly, how is the AMK weapons set, in terms of compatibility with the Revell kit? Seems like its meant for their F-14... Ok guys many thanks for the responses very helpful! 

6 hours ago, flanker27 said:

If you are looking for weapons, why not consider the Academy F-15E or K or I, those have very nice weapon sprues

3 hours ago, Ed DeVivo said:

I do wonder why Revell pulled the plug on this kit. I picked this up some 20 years ago for around $26.00 or so.. Even if the price was double that today, it would be worth it. 

3 hours ago, Ed DeVivo said:

While we are on the subject of this, a couple more questions. How is the Academy kit?? I recall seeing the Seymour Johnson F-15E several years ago when Hobby Shops were still in business near me, but never made the purchase. Secondly, how is the AMK weapons set, in terms of compatibility with the Revell kit? Seems like its meant for their F-14... Ok guys many thanks for the responses very helpful! 

From what I remember you have to be careful of the Academy F-15E kit as it was retooled some years ago to the point it was a competely different kit. So the older boxings are pretty poor in accuracy, from vague memories there was something about the pylons on the CFTs but the thing which sticks in my mind was the engine humps on the rear fuselage, they were wrong. But the retool put new pylons in the box together with some weapons that make it quite nice, but they also fixed the fuselage problem.

Ive got it as an F-15I, apart from the decals Im not sure how its different to the F-15E in terms of sprues in the box but it looks quite nice in the bags.

I have the AMK weapons set too. Its nice. Not worth getting if you have the first boxing of their F-14D but I was given it for free because I placed such a large order with the shop I bought the F-14D from.

It looks like it has many guided bombs that could be used on a modern F-15E

I went thru a similar dilemma recently and decided the Revelel kit was a better way to go. Added Quinta cockpit. For wepsons, you’ve got a great range from ResKit, Eduard, Flying Leathernecks. And for pylons, wheels and speed brake there’s Kopecky and Phase Hangar stuff.  Far better than any kit has and highly refined all. 

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals
10 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

And thru a similar dilemma recently and decided the Revelel kit wa SA better way to go. Added Quinta cockpit, Aires cockpit for the build. For wepsons, you’ve got a great range from ResKit, Eduard, Flying Leathernecks. And for pylons, wheels and speed brake there’s Kopecky and Phase Hangar stuff.  Far better than any kit has and highly refined all. 

I considered the Quinta / Aires fusion for the Revell F-15E.  But the physical sizing differences, mainly with the aft cockpit instrument panel, made me decide against it.  I'm curious to see how it came out for you and where you cut down the Quinta decals to fit.

Hey fellas some advice needed.. I bought some Eduard Sidewinders which I really am pleased with. The thing is, the side pylons on the Revell kit will in no way accommodate the missiles.. The kit Sidewinders have two recessed rectangular female ends which will attach the the male end of the pylon. The Eduard Sidewinder has what appears to be clips which are far more realistic. Are there aftermarket pylons that will coincide with this kit? 

These are some options I've found with a quick search: 

http://metdetails.com/catalog/metalic-details/aircraft/148/mdr4805-lau-128adu-552-launcher-set-f-15

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/wolfpack-wp48014-lau-128-adu-552-launcher-and-adaptor-set--237758

There are some options which come with the pylons as well, but are more expensive.

22 hours ago, ijozic said:

These are some options I've found with a quick search: 

http://metdetails.com/catalog/metalic-details/aircraft/148/mdr4805-lau-128adu-552-launcher-set-f-15

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/wolfpack-wp48014-lau-128-adu-552-launcher-and-adaptor-set--237758

There are some options which come with the pylons as well, but are more expensive.

Thank you my friend.. The Revell is an old kit, very bare. If I were to do another one of these, G.W.H. all the way. All these kits are overpriced today, but it is what it is....

On 1/12/2023 at 12:20 PM, sigtau said:

I considered the Quinta / Aires fusion for the Revell F-15E.  But the physical sizing differences, mainly with the aft cockpit instrument panel, made me decide against it.  I'm curious to see how it came out for you and where you cut down the Quinta decals to fit.

Quinta and Aires make sets for the Revell kit. As far as I can see, the Quinta fits the kit perfectly. I haven’t tried to match Quinta to Aires yet… 

fyi, I did use Quinta for GWH on Hasegawa F-15C. It took  some trimming and I had to build a new main instrument panel for the Quinta parts. 

On 1/12/2023 at 2:29 AM, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

I went thru a similar dilemma recently and decided the Revelel kit was a better way to go. Added Quinta cockpit. For wepsons, you’ve got a great range from ResKit, Eduard, Flying Leathernecks. And for pylons, wheels and speed brake there’s Kopecky and Phase Hangar stuff.  Far better than any kit has and highly refined all. 

Thanks brother I ordered the pylons and rails from Phase Hangar. Looks great from the photos.. Should work nicely with the Eduard Sidewinder and Sparrow.