F-4N Weapon Loads

Hello all - 

Does anyone know what the typical weapons loads for navy F-4Ns were? Did they just fly fleet interceptor role so all Air to Air weapons or would there have been instances of air to ground? Maybe a training load out with inert air to ground weapons? I've had a hard time finding any definitive photos with any armament loaded. I have some decals for VF-84 F-4N that I was thinking of using on a Tamiya F-4N (converted from the F-4B).

Don't know - thoughts?

Thanks

Mike

Version N did not take part in the hostilities, but carried out the protection of aircraft carriers from Soviet aircraft. 2-4 AIM-7 and 2-4 AIM-9, drop tanks under the wing or central.
If you want to use bombs, it is possible to install practical bombs (TER) two rocket launchers (LAU-10, LAU-68, LAU-3).

F-4J_Phantom_VF-74_intercepting_Tu-95_in

This is J or S.

As FINN stated, aircrews had to maintain their qual's so you can load what you like and it would still be an accurate load. For normal day to day flying, while deployed, I would think two Sparrows on the aft stations and two Sidewinders on the outboard stations and a centerline tank would be a normal load out while out trolling around the Med.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I guess you'd have to check the timeframe of your N and if the desired squadron was deployed onto a carrier at that time. If so, AA missiles would be loaded onto alert birds. For sure, VMFA-323 and 531 carried AIM-7E-2 in the rearward missile wells and AIM-9L plus G (H?) at the same time under the wings (one rail each with the L the other rail carrying the G) when they were sitting alert for OP Eagle Claw in 1980.

B/r

Michael

Edited by SCOUT712

Hello Mike,

to cite the excellent book US NAVY Carrier Air Wing Aircraft 1975-2015 Vol. 1 by Mike Crutch

At the start of 1975, the final F-4Ns to serve with frontline LANTFLT squadrons resided within CVW-6.
They deployed for the last time on 3 January for a Sixth Fleet cruise in USS Franklin D. Roosevelt
(CVA-42, which was re-designated CV-42 on 1 July). After a typical round of exercises throughout the
Mediterranean, ‘Rosie’ came about and passed back into the Atlantic on 6 July. The Phantom IIs of VF-41
Black Aces (tactical callsign FAST EAGLE) and VF-84 Jolly Rogers (tactical callsign VICTORY) left the
ship as it neared Norfolk twelve days later, the ship docking there the next day to offload the air wing
personnel before heading to her homeport of Mayport on 20 July. Both Phantom II squadrons detached
from the air wing itself on 27 July to the control of Fighter Wing One as they prepared for Tomcat
conversion with VF-101 at Oceana. F-4Ns of both squadrons, however, continued to operate until March
(VF-84) and April (VF-41) of 1976, both still wearing CVW-6’s tailcodes. As a result, they adopted
MODEXes in the AE-x20/x30 ranges to distinguish themselves from their replacements in the air wing.

So, if your model is from that cruise`s timeframe I`d say its a pretty sure bet that it can carry AIM-7E2 in the rear wells and AIM-9G/H (they look the same) under the wings. If it is post cruise, nothing except maybe an AIM-9 acquisition round or a few MK-36 blue death on a TER. Unfortunately pics with VF-84 F-4N's with weapons are very rare.

There is just one from the 1975 cruisebook which shows a singe "Winder" under the left wing. Maybe the Navy was a bit short on money after the end of the war in Vietnam and buying new super expensive Tomcats, therefore restricting flying with life missiles. After all they have a certain useful live after being unpacked. When the clock is up they will have to be expended.

B/r

Michael