Lima Oscar Decals

Back on these forums after a break for a couple years.  I am trying to complete several models I started about 6-7 years ago that got left in various stages.

My question is this.   I have wrecked 2 seats of Lima Oscar Hughes AirWest decals.   The logos on the fuselage either split into two halves or some of the letters themselves come off and get ruined.   They are super thin and very delicate to work with.    I tried putting liquid decal film on the second set to no avail.   So, now I am on set 3 to get this project done.   Any suggestions on how to make the logo/lettering stay together long enough to put down and place where I want it.?

Devan

I took a look at the decals. I'd brush paint the Microscale decal film and let dry overnight. Cut the 'Hughes' separate from the 'airwest' so it's not a major wrestling match and hold the backing paper right next to your placement while you push the decal into position with a brush. You want to be working in a horizontal plane so that your application surface is parallel to your table top. Take a cardboard box and cut a hole so that your wing fits in it with the fuselage resting on the top of the box. You can put some cloth between the plane and box if you think the cardboard might scuff your finish.

hth

Keeper

I did actually did use liquid decal film and cut the logo in half as you suggest on the second go around.   I was able to get "Hughes' done on the side I had ruined, but "AirWest" immediately rolled up on me as it came off the backing paper.   I will try the box method you suggest and see if that helps.   Part of the problem appears to be that the painted surface, even with several gloss coats, is not slick enough to move into position.  Even with MicroSol.   I have sprayed 2 more coats of gloss clear in the area I want the decal to reside.   The carrier film itself is very thin and causes the logo/letting to flex.   

13 hours ago, RevWillieG said:

I have sprayed 2 more coats of gloss clear in the area I want the decal to reside.   The carrier film itself is very thin and causes the logo/letting to flex.   

It sounds like you're working with an unnecessarily fragile product. Improving the gloss coat is definitely a step in the right direction.

You don't want to be using the MicroSol initially, use the MicroSet which initiates adhesion. After an hour you then apply by dropper the Microsol and the chemical reaction starts and you get the wrinkling and (hopefully) the eventual laying down into all the conformations. Which is why I recommend having your surface horizontal.

If it's curling on you after the decal film application it may be a matter of 'soak time.' Some manufacturers advise dropping water on the decal and trying application after a few seconds. Never worked for me, I always give them a full soak in room temp water. Too much time and they'll slide off the backing paper. You have to find the happy balance and with a subject fragile like yours I'd lean towards longer soak time but you'll want to remember what you did initially and lean in the other direction. If you've got some spare decals off the first sheet try a few test runs on some scrap test piece.

Hope that helps,

4 hours ago, The Keeper said:

It sounds like you're working with an unnecessarily fragile product. Improving the gloss coat is definitely a step in the right direction.

You don't want to be using the MicroSol initially, use the MicroSet which initiates adhesion. After an hour you then apply by dropper the Microsol and the chemical reaction starts and you get the wrinkling and (hopefully) the eventual laying

Sorry I mis-spoke.   I should have said MicroSet...........a longer soak time would probably  make things worse actually.  The decal itself comes off the backing paper after a very short soak time.   The problem besides part of the decal itself coming apart, is that it cannot be moved once placed down.   That is why I put more gloss coats on.    Perhaps the model surface is not 'slick" enough to move the decal around.   Your horizontal method may be the ticket which I will try this weekend when I have time to work on it.    I appreciate the ideas.