First hobby shop you remember visiting?

34 minutes ago, planebuilder08 said:

I remember Hobby City, just a few miles from Knotts Berry Farm. Also had on of the best Model Train stores there too. Gemco was the main place i got my kits, especially because my mom was a manager in the toy department (major discount). The first real Hobby Shop I remember was Hobby Warehouse in Lakewood. The original before most of it burned down. They opened a much smaller location across the street a few years after. Also just about every drug store had a section as did many hardware stores like Dooley's.

I remember Hobby Warehouse also now that you mention it ...

Also getting the occasional kit at Thrifty Drugs or Sav-On Drugs ...

Welcome to the ARC ... :post1:

-Gregg

7 minutes ago, GreyGhost said:

I remember Hobby Warehouse also now that you mention it ...

Also getting the occasional kit at Thrifty Drugs or Sav-On Drugs ...

Welcome to the ARC ... :post1:

-Gregg

My dad was a manager at Thrifty (Thrifty-Payless and now Rite Aid) for over 50 years. Thanks for the welcome but I've been on here for a long time. Somehow lost my post count.

Orange Blossom Hobbies in Miami was my first stop.  In college I frequented George's Hobby House in Lawrence, KS (also Waldo Hobbies in Missouri).  In grad school I used to love going to the Silver Springs, MD Squadron shop.  Work took me to Dallas where Phil's ruled the world (MAL was a nice place as well).  All are dead and buried now.

Growing up in Jersey City, NJ, my Dad took my brother and I to Campbell's Model Hobby Shop on Baldwin Ave. right near the Jersey City Medical Center. As my Dad was friends with Mr. George, we'd have run of the place. I still remember getting certain kits like the Matchbox F4U-4 Corsair and the Monogram 1/32 Weasel. Also the Monogram metal D-Day paratrooper. Good times...

Fairfield Hobby shop in Fairfield, Ohio. I would ride my bike to the shop. I'd get $10 for mowing grass, and I could get a 1/48 monogram kit for that. Lots of A-4s, F-4s,etc. I saved up and bought my first hasegawa kit from him, the 1/48 F-4E with Missouri ANG markings. Buzz closed in the mid 90's. 

Johnny's Toys in Winton Woods was also a great place to get monogram kits. They stocked everything, plus a huge model railroad. I was crushed when they closed up.