Vietnam war kill markings

I was looking at the Academy F-4D kits built up shots of the kit and something struck me thats Ive never really thought about before

Why did the American pilots mark their kills with red stars?

The red star was more associated with the Russians rather than the Vietnamese yellow/gold star.

Edited by ElectroSoldier

The same as in the Korean War, where the Red Star 'kill' marking simply denoted a victory over a Chinese/North Korean/Soviet aircraft...

....and not least because the aerial opponent was invariably flying a Russian-built MiG - for missions over Vietnam, at Udorn RTAFB the motto was:

ud-allen-tucker-04-1974-1975.jpg

Edited by andyf117
On 1/19/2023 at 7:42 PM, GW8345 said:

The red star was synonymous with a communist kill, didn't matter what country the kill was from as long as it was a communist country.

Yeah I guess that was it. Its just a general symbol.

It never struck me before that the red star isnt a symbol the Vietnamese used. But I guess it doesnt have to be.

Some used the RED STAR/‘S to denote a kill some used the silhouette of the MIG they shot down. On some of Robin Olds F-4C’s his red stars were outlined in yellow.

Some of the F-8 Crusaders kill markings were the North Vietnam flag 🇻🇳

The best thing is to check out your references either through books or on line. Just to help out on what the history of the specific aircraft in question MIG Kill markings looked like. 

Nowadays there are plethora of decals with the history of the aircraft’s history and markings prior, during, and after a MIG Killing mission.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Best of luck,

Mr. Happy

image.thumb.jpeg.6737b85aee1f297b3a4c54206161015b.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

So, back to WWII kill markings, specifically USN or USMC victories. I was browsing F4U decals on eBay and came across the vintage Microscale sheet 32-9. Most of the Acs' victories all show the Japanese flag with rising sun on the left. However, Pappy Boyington's scorecard (#86) has Japanese flags randomly pointing right and left. Does that signify shared kills or just an impish attitude? 

Screenshot_20230211_103221_eBay.thumb.jpg.9951663575b2f75dec45869f2012b52d.jpg

Edited by Dutch
7 hours ago, Dutch said:

So, back to WWII kill markings, specifically USN or USMC victories. I was browsing F4U decals on eBay and came across the vintage Microscale sheet 32-9. Most of the Acs' victories all show the Japanese flag with rising sun on the left. However, Pappy Boyington's scorecard (#86) has Japanese flags randomly pointing right and left. Does that signify shared kills or just an impish attitude? 

Screenshot_20230211_103221_eBay.thumb.jpg.9951663575b2f75dec45869f2012b52d.jpg

I think it just signifies a rush job to get the stickers on the airplane for a  photo shoot.  Remember, that airplane was not one that was assigned to the squadron in a combat area, it was a random pool airplane that they used in the rear area for publicity photos.

21 hours ago, Joe Hegedus said:

I think it just signifies a rush job to get the stickers on the airplane for a  photo shoot.  Remember, that airplane was not one that was assigned to the squadron in a combat area, it was a random pool airplane that they used in the rear area for publicity photos.

@Joe Hegedus True.  

For WWII Kill Markings;

- Shared victories were usually represented by half markings (or 1/4 or 1/3, depending on percentage shared)

- Reversed markings denoted either a ground kill or a victory over a different enemy military branch, i.e. normal markings may represent a victory over a enemy naval aircraft while a reversed marking would denote a victory over an enemy army/air force aircraft or denote a bomber kill vice a fighter kill. I highly doubt a reversed marking was done in hast, the markings where usually stickers and even a novice plane captain (who would apply the sticker) would know how the marking is supposed to be applied.

That is 98-0135, one of 2 drone killers flying with the 492FS 48FW. The other being 97-0219. Both carrying a green star to denote the kill. 

For those interested, the markings for this one, 98-0135, is included in Italeri's recently released F-15E (1/48). I don't care much for the Italeri F-15, have others like GWH that are much better, but have bought the decals separately and plan on building this one. The blue appear a little light on the decal sheet, hope it darkens a little when applied to the model (when built)  

It makes me wonder now what marking was used on the B-52 after it shot down a mig.  I got lucky one night and happened to find a guy dressed in a flight suit trying to find his way down the street.  Being the thoughtful cop that I was, I offered him a ride to his barracks and he turned out to be the first tail gunner to shoot down a mig .  He told me how it happened, and that he was just coming back from the party they gave him.  I never had a chance to go out and get a shot of his aircraft because my main responsibility was the main part of the base except during alerts or when assigned to Phantom Patrol.