USAFE, the F-4E at the 36th TFW Bitburg AB

In my series USAFE, Phantoms over Germany I show three F-4E of the 22nd and 525th TFS. Another squadron, namely the 53.TFS, also flew the F-4E, of which I did not build a model.

1. F-4E Phantom II  68-0475/BU,  525. TFS 1969

This model is my first of the new F-4E from Fine Molds. An excellent kit with very nice detail. The model shows the F-4E in its early form with a short cannon muzzle and the first wings without slats. The cannon gas vent, which is open on the ground, is not included in the kit. But it is easy to produce.  The Phantoms initially flew with different tailcodes depending on the squadron, before the uniform code BT was introduced in 1972.This aircraft is equipped with 2 SUU-20 Bomb Dispencers (from Ozmods) at the inner wing stations. The 525th Squadron flew with both blue tailband and white and blue stiffened band, as seen here.

2. F-4E Phantom II  69-0271/BT,  22. TFS 1976

The Revell model represents an F-4E, which was provided for the NATO Tactical Air Meet 1976 at the Twenthe AB, Netherlands on the vertical stabilizer and the lower cockpit frame with the American national colors on the occasion of the 200th anniversary. Six aircraft flew at the TAM 76. The model has the early wings, but already the long cannon muzzle. The machine is armed with 2 AGM-12C Bullpup missiles. Three AIM-7E Sparrow missiles hang from their pick-up points. On the right front mount sits an AN/ALQ-119 jamming pod. In 1980, 69-0271 was converted into an F-4G.

3. F-4E Phantom II  68-0459/BT, 22. TFS 1975

Hasegawa contributed this model to the F-4E. Here the slats are now installed on the wings. The F-4E is equipped with 2 SUU-21 Bomb Dispencers (Air Graphics Model).

Bild 2.jpg

Bild 3.jpg

Bild 4.jpg

Bild 5.jpg

Bild 6.jpg

Bild 7.jpg

Bild 8.jpg

Bild 9.jpg

Bild 10.jpg

Bild 11.jpg

Bild 12.jpg

Bild 13.jpg