Anyone planning fixes for the Takom AH-64 kits?

While the kits are amazing, Takom missed some obvious items.

1. The kit lacks the 4 helmet sensor units in the cockpit.  Not sure how they missed this since Hasegawa even included them in their 1/48 kit (well, the two for the CPG at least).
  2. The old style Optical Relay Tube CPG sight for the D kit.  The kit only includes the later square LCD display.  Not sure when they changed over to the square display, but the D kit only includes the original PNVS turret and the only markings are for 2003 era aircraft, if that matters.
  3. The bump stops (not sure what they are really called) for the engine access doors.  These are the small pointy items on top of the front of the engine nacelles.  When the engine doors are open, this part rests on top of the stub wing and provides support for using the open door as a work platform.  The strange part is that the kit access doors have slots in them for these items to go into, but they aren’t in the instructions, and I can’t find them on the parts trees.
Edited by Dave Williams
On 1/21/2023 at 6:18 PM, Dave Williams said:

While the kits are amazing, Takom missed some obvious items.

1. The kit lacks the 4 helmet sensor units in the cockpit.  Not sure how they missed this since Hasegawa even included them in their 1/48 kit (well, the two for the CPG at least).
  2. The old style Optical Relay Tube CPG sight for the D kit.  The kit only includes the later square LCD display.  Not sure when they changed over to the square display, but the D kit only includes the original PNVS turret and the only markings are for 2003 era aircraft, if that matters.
  3. The bump stops (not sure what they are really called) for the engine access doors.  These are the small pointy items on top of the front of the engine nacelles.  When the engine doors are open, this part rests on top of the stub wing and provides support for using the open door as a work platform.  The strange part is that the kit access doors have slots in them for these items to go into, but they aren’t in the instructions, and I can’t find them on the parts trees.

If you can find someone that will do them in CAD, I'll do them but I need CAD done to do it.

Floyd

This picture shows the pilot’s sensors.  They are on either side of the top of the seat.  One is on the far side, facing the camera.  It’s the rectangular box with the two goldish colored reflective horizontal strips.  The one on the other side, closest to the camera, is viewed from the side.

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/michael_block/ah-64a/images/ah-64a_42_of_52.jpg

The two for the CPG are similarly on either side of the top of the seat.  I believe they are actually attached to the front of the pilot’s IP shroud, while the pilots’s seniors are attached to the rear cockpit bulkhead.

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/michael_block/ah-64a/images/ah-64a_44_of_52.jpg

There are probably better pictures out there, but they show where they are and what to look for.

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed that the internals for the large anti-collision lights on the rear side of the engine nacelles aren’t in the kit.  You just get a large clear cover that sits over a plain flat pad molded on the nacelle.  This is what should be under the cover.

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/images/184/184-106.jpg

13 hours ago, salomon said:

Here you go,  this model isn't in the right scale, the right scale is 5.8 mm, pieces are separate for further modification.

APACHE_Capture.JPG

APACHE_SIGNAL_LIGHT.objUnavailable

Love it.  I'd love to sell this and your other upgrades through Werner's Wings.  I'm working on a decal sheet currently

Floyd

To be honest I think this model is almost perfect, a very good remark on the collision lights that are absent. On the other hand I do not see what it can still be improved. For my part I do not have many more photo references on the Apache and do not know it very much more than the other helicopter.

Feel free to use that 3d file, my suggestion to print it part with transparent resin and I don't get time to play with my 3d printer by now. I hope that you will include inscriptions of the cockpit, and here are many. I already bough the Werner's Wings products before buying the 3d printer, and those are awesome.

7 hours ago, karl h said:

it will be nice if the decal sheet would have colour callouts for the kit, since it has non.

will the sheet be for the D and E (I have the E)

Inside the cockpit, flat black.  Exterior US Army Helicopter Green FS34031 with touch up in whatever color you like.

5 hours ago, salomon said:

What's missing into the cockpit? except the helmet sensors?

There are the helmet sensors in the AH-64D and vents are missing.  The other thing is that the aircraft represented need the older style ORT display.  Other than that I think it is pretty complete.

Floyd