Vietnam F-4C - What MRP or Gunze Colors best for SEA?

Hey All,

I'm beginning a build of the Zoukei Mura 1/48 F-4C.  I'm planning to do a Vietnam era plane in 'standard' Southeast Asia colors, with consideration to moderate to significant weathering (dirt and fading, primarily).  I'd like to do this plane in lacquer, so ideally, I'd like to use either MRP or Gunze Mr. Color paints, but I also have many colors in the Tamiya (Acrylic), Mission Model and AK Real Color lines.  Anybody have a set of 3 paint colors they've used to good effect for an F-4 in SEA colors?

FWIW, on my most recent SEA build I used Mr. Color for the three top colors and AK Real Colors for the Camo Gray 36622. They all looked pretty close to me. Technically, that makes four colors, although you're only asking about three?

hi. how about Eduards instruction for their F-4C Academy repack as a reference? https://www.eduard.com/out/media/1193.pdf

these are Mr Hobby (not lacquer) rather than Mr Color but manufacturer is the same and equivalent colors are often differ by just one letter like :

Mr Hobby H309 Green FS34079 Semi Gloss acrylic paint    =========== Mr Color C309 Green FS34079 Semi Gloss paint

sometimes number don not match, especially for lower paint numbers, so you better double check. Both H and paints will work brilliantly with Mr color levelling thinner

21 minutes ago, Studneru said:

hi. how about Eduards instruction for their F-4C Academy repack as a reference? https://www.eduard.com/out/media/1193.pdf

these are Mr Hobby (not lacquer) rather than Mr Color but manufacturer is the same and equivalent colors are often differ by just one letter like :

Mr Hobby H309 Green FS34079 Semi Gloss acrylic paint    =========== Mr Color C309 Green FS34079 Semi Gloss paint

sometimes number don not match, especially for lower paint numbers, so you better double check. Both H and paints will work brilliantly with Mr color levelling thinner

Hi there!  Yes, I had looked at the paint colors suggested by the instructions, though oftentimes I end up using colors that are better (at least to my eye) than those recommended there.  So, I was looking for ideas for other colors that people may have used and were happy with.  I probably should have acknowledged the instruction recommended colors as part of my post...but thanks for response! 

Hi Curt,

I have used Mr. Hobby recommended colors for a SEA camouflage and also MRP. Both of them look pretty close to me. If I have to choose, probably I will go with MRP colors as they look more "vivid" to me and the paints are very easy to use.

Here are two of my models:

1.- Revell A-1 Skyraider with Mr. Hobby (acrylic):

A-1-H-Skyraider-3.jpg

A-1-H-Skyraider-2.jpg

2.- Monogram F-84F Thunderstreak using MRP (lacquer):

F-84-F-Thunderchief-9.jpg

F-84-F-Thunderchief-8.jpg

Hope this helps.

Tato