Quick question about F-16 Sparrow (501) Wing Pylon

Good morning,

Does anybody know the dimensions of the above mentioned pylon?

I want to build an F-16ADF in 1/72 scale, but need to scratch build the underwings Sparrow pylon. I think I can get the basic shape based on the photos, but I would like to know the dimensions to get the size right if anybody knows what they are.

Cheers, and thanks.

Hoops

Kinetic has a sprue FF that they include in several kits when they want to include Sparrows, F/A-18, F-104S, Taiwan F-16 and probably more.

It's one Sparrow and 501 pylon.  Lots of people probably get them in kits that don't need the pylons.

From Kit 48055 Taiwan Block 20 F-16A

830930af63ff08ec39c47abf9d48d89e.jpg

On 1/25/2023 at 7:11 AM, Hoops said:

I want to build an F-16ADF in 1/72 scale

13 hours ago, Crash Test Dummy said:

Kinetic has a sprue FF that they include in several kits when they want to include Sparrows, F/A-18, F-104S, Taiwan F-16 and probably more.

It's one Sparrow and 501 pylon.  Lots of people probably get them in kits that don't need the pylons.

Thanks Crash Test Dummy,

Unfortunately that doesn't help me in 1/72 Scale.

Hasegawa released ADF kits in 1/72 but they don't include Sparrows or pylons.

Fujimi also released ADF kits in 1/72 but I don't know if they had Sparrows/pylons, plus they're hard to find.

On 1/26/2023 at 10:11 AM, habu2 said:

Fujimi also released ADF kits in 1/72 but I don't know if they had Sparrows/pylons, plus they're hard to find.

After examining kit reviews it looks like it just has the standard weapons pylons.

On 1/26/2023 at 11:33 AM, Niels said:

Wolfpack-D did a set some years ago, however unfortunatrely OOP by now. Wolfpack Design (wolfpack-d.com)

It looks like the 501 pylons were also included in 48040, the ROCAF block 20 conversion. Again, 1/48 and OOP.

After measuring the kit, some photo interpretation of aircraft and the Kinetic parts, I came up with the solution that the pylon is ~7mm tall and ~34mm long in 1/72 scale.

It's probably not exactly right, but it's pretty close in scale. It will be better than anything else out there in 1/72 (because there isn't anything else!).

Cheers,

Hoops

F-16 AIM-7 (501) Pylon v2

Edited by Hoops
Update link