1/48 F-16C kits, Tamiya or Hasegawa?

On 1/31/2023 at 9:56 AM, fulcrum1 said:

Built the Hasegawa F-16 kit and am currently building the 1/48 Tamiya F-16. Big T is a much better kit, but not as quick of a build as the Hasegawa offering. With the new Kinetic kits coming out I doubt I'll ever buy another Hase again expecting all the blocks to be covered. 

I'm currently building a Tamiya and the new Kinetic kit side by side.  The Tamiya kit is far superior to the new Kinetic offering.  The only area that the Kinetic kit has Tamiya beat is the wheel well detailing.  The surface detail on the Kinetic kit is on par with the Tamiya kit.  But the overall fit and accuracy of the Tamiya kit can't be beat.

If you throw Hasegawa into the mix, I can honestly say the fit on that kit is better than the Kinetic kit.  Obviously the Hasegawa falls way short on detail and accuracy for later lot C model air-frames.  But the Hasegawa kit is going to go together quicker and will likely be more fun to build.  Also, the Hasegawa kit currently has more aftermarket options for upgrading the cockpit, wheel bays, exhaust, etc.       

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Isnt the Academy kit just a clone of the Hasegawa kit?

Not a direct clone but very similar in many aspects, you can definitely see the Hasegawa influence in the parts breakdown.  One feature they definitely don’t share is fit, the Academy kit needs a lot more work (and putty) to build right.