Propeller safety!

When I flew RC I had a 3 ci twin 4 cycle with a 24” prop.  It was very nerve racking cranking it safely.   
prime the carb, flip prop through a few times to get it wet in the cylinders.  Hook up battery to glow plugs. Pull prop through compressing while hanging on tight.  If you felt the kick, simply use thumb, index and middle finger to grasp the hub and pop it back against compression.  Usually started right up.  
It was the small ones you flipped through compression with your finger that would bite you.   I always used a starter on those. 

If it wasn’t for my bad knees, I’d probably get back into the hobby.  No way I could kneel down on my knees now to crank one of them up. 

A made-for-tv movie called “Family Flight“ in 1972 dealt with this subject. Plane was a Navion and it was eventually landed on the carrier Ranger cruising off SoCal as that was closest known medical help.

Edited by Slartibartfast
14 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

A made-for-tv movie called “Family Flight“ in 1972 dealt with this subject. Plane was a Navion and it was eventually landed on the carrier Ranger cruising off SoCal as that was closest known medical help.

I remember that movie.  Prop hit dad across the arm/shoulder when he started it by the prop and he had to tell his son how to fly? 

Funny and true story:

An instructor at the same school that I went to for my A&P Certificate also owned a Mooney. Incidentally, the school did as well. One day while the Mooney was on the ramp, he insisted that it was IMPOSSIBLE to hand prop a Mooney and proceeded to grab the prop and pull it through. Sure enough, the engine started and with no one in the cockpit on the brakes it started down the ramp on its own! Fortunately some students were able to catch up to it, open the door, and get it stopped before it could do any damage. Yeah, that guy was a yutz.

I have also seen a vintage 1940s photo from one of the technical schools of students hand-propping a F6F Hellcat with a sling like setup similar to the video.

Edited by Chriss7607

I hated propping anything, but strangely I don't mind hand cranking 1930s and earlier antique tractors.  They can still break your arm just as quick.  My 1928 Hart Parr at least throws the handle in the direction of the rear wheel but it still gets your attention. 

Rick L.

15 hours ago, Scott Smith said:

I remember that movie.  Prop hit dad across the arm/shoulder when he started it by the prop and he had to tell his son how to fly? 

I do too, but havent seen it since the 80s. Forgot about the carrier landing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2023 at 9:32 PM, Spruemeister said:

I hated propping anything, but strangely I don't mind hand cranking 1930s and earlier antique tractors.  They can still break your arm just as quick.  My 1928 Hart Parr at least throws the handle in the direction of the rear wheel but it still gets your attention. 

Rick L.

Incredible. That dolt had no business being an instructor. I realized over the years as I left the military and got into civil aviation that having responsible, competent instructors was NOT a given in the civvy world. Sheesh.

Makes for a good story, though.

ALF