1:48 EF-4C Phantom II (Tamiya Conversion)

Sometimes a single photograph provides the spark of inspiration for a new modeling project. This particular picture from Joe Zerbe’s collection, posted here with his kind permission, delivered in just such a way. It was taken in August 1975 at Nellis AFB, Nevada and depicts 64-0815, a McDonnell Douglas F-4C Phantom ll assigned to the 57th FWW.

‘815 was one of 36 Charlie models modified for the SAM suppression role and taking on, at least informally, the designation EF-4C Wild Weasel IV.

SHwi5NI.jpg

I chose the sublime Tamiya F-4B kit in 1:48 as a starting point.

dQjPNmh.jpg

Edited by RichB63

Tail first!

The rudder was carefully removed, later to be reinstalled deflected as commonly seen on parked jets. Also, the navy style antenna on the forward fin cap was sanded away.

I incorporated the beautiful Master-Model brass leading edge air data probes. Some extra work is required to ensure the proper alignment and secure fit of these parts. The following sequence of photos illustrates the steps involved.

ay3ennH.jpg

RQPM8sL.jpg

2vkDE3N.jpg

2OeXlKa.jpg

CTqefpr.jpg

To correct the fin cap profile, a small section of stretched sprue was glued in place and filed to shape, providing just enough fill to improve the look.

aBNfcEk.jpg

up2PEvh.jpg

wVJOLqf.jpg

Edited by RichB63
On 1/27/2023 at 4:58 PM, phantom said:

Nice project, but you have the wrong kit. Wings, Landing gear, cockpit, pylons just the beginning of things you need to change. Easier to start with a Hasegawa C.

Hi phantom…of course you’re correct. I’m (foolishly) going about it the hard way!

Edited by RichB63
18 minutes ago, RichB63 said:

Hi phantom…of course you’re correct. I’m (foolishly) going about it the hard way!

Well, going by the photos you have all ready shown, you know what your getting into!

Welding
Up close, the Phantom’s fuel drain mast has a crude, agricultural appearance.

wYCD0y0.jpg

FvFtaRd.jpg

I tried to improve the look of the kit part with "weld beads" fashioned from very thin stretched sprue cemented into place with Tamiya Extra Thin. A beading tool was used to give them a distressed texture.

oxCTnIW.jpg

0zoxihK.jpg

The drain openings were carefully hollowed out using a low-speed drill fitted with a #92 bit. Stretched sprue support rods complete the look.

THN8P51.jpg

EtfG3M2.jpg

ztK5klR.jpg

Edited by RichB63
1 hour ago, Incaroad said:

The hard way indeed, take a look here for some inspiration!

http://soyuyo.main.jp/f4c/f4c-1.html

Great Start!

Hi Incaroad,

Thanks for the link! Jumpe Temma is one of my modeling heroes. He shows us that anything is possible.

He has a keen eye for shapes and proportions and his scale drawings are the best I’ve seen.

Cheers,

Rich

Hello, RichB63, excellent choice for your next build. Perhaps the Tamiya F-4B is not the best kit to convert to a "C" model but you certainly have all the skills necessary to make the modifications. What you've done so far is nothing short of perfection; I can't wait to see how this build progresses. 

-Elmo

On 1/27/2023 at 11:42 PM, wardog said:

Hello, RichB63, excellent choice for your next build. Perhaps the Tamiya F-4B is not the best kit to convert to a "C" model but you certainly have all the skills necessary to make the modifications. What you've done so far is nothing short of perfection; I can't wait to see how this build progresses. 

-Elmo

Thanks Elmo!

I realize that the Tamiya Bravo kit is an odd choice on which to base this conversion, especially as there are several very good Charlie models available in 1:48. But I feel as though Tamiya’s offering is in a class by itself, as close to Tomb perfection as there is.

Besides, as you know, I enjoy fiddling around with kits.

Having said that, I’m very aware of the challenges ahead. I may well discover I’ve ventured a bit too close to the sun! We’ll see.

Some Scotch and Mr. Surfacer 

With the addition of formation strip lights (Scotch Magic Tape - green label) and the application of some Mr. Surfacer 1200, I’m calling the vertical tail finished. It’s been put away for safe keeping while I move on to the fuselage mods: basically, the removal and addition of numerous panels, access doors and fasteners across the airframe, hinted at in the photos below where black CA glue has been used to fill recessed lines and fasteners around the engine exhaust area.

igh81Xo.jpg

SLwOfQh.jpg

Edited by RichB63

A warning to all modelers, and especially F-4 Phans, stay tuned to this build as Rich's techniques and craftmanship are on another level. I've been following Rich on other modeling sites and often blown away at his creativeness and "out of the box" thinking. Rich will surely amaze you as he progresses with this build!

Ok, You are making us wait for the wings. I've seen J (or C) ->B conversions in 1/32. But the other way around seems pure madness.

Just like adding weld lines to the fuel dump valve. I'm afraid to watch, and yet I can't take my eyes off. Amazing work.

On 1/30/2023 at 12:37 PM, Thadeus said:

Ok, You are making us wait for the wings. I've seen J (or C) ->B conversions in 1/32. But the other way around seems pure madness.

Just like adding weld lines to the fuel dump valve. I'm afraid to watch, and yet I can't take my eyes off. Amazing work.

Yeah, I did the 1/32 J into B conversion. Bought the ready to go resin and installed it.

oz2b6te.jpgTHIS conversion is madness!! But being done at an amazing level. Outstanding Rich.

Edited by phantom

@A-10 LOADER, @Mr.Happy, @cruiz, @wardog, @crackerjazz, @ExchefAndy, @Crutch, @Thadeus, @phantom, @Ikon, @kellyF15 and @vonjhn68 

Thank you all very much for your kind words. I’m grateful (and humbled).

Blacklining 

Several panel lines, doors and access panels across the airframe were eliminated, and new ones added, in an effort to “de-navalise” this Phantom. Black cyanoacrylate glue was used as a filler. 

Here are some of the areas that received this treatment:

FdGH0gQ.jpg

ahC2CzA.jpg

oSAxaIK.jpg

Yykukk9.jpg

LkcniVE.jpg

Panel 124

At first glance, panel 124 (below) looks like a perfect circle centered along a horizontal join line. Indeed, all of the drawings that I referenced depict it as such. But, in fact, it’s oblong and sits slightly below the centerline.

MIztUgf.jpg

Louvers

…and other details. The louvered air conditioning exhaust vents proved more tedious and time consuming than I envisioned. I’m happy to have this work behind me. Also visible in the following photos are three small weasel specific antennas, just ahead of the NLG bay.

Another Wild Weasel mod, just beginning to take shape here, is the faired over missile trough. This area will be covered by a large equipment palette and strike camera.

HSlJo1Y.jpg

4MyW333.jpg

Edited by RichB63

Don't be humbled 😉, just keep doing what you're doing! 

It's bloody marvellous and so beyond my skill level as akin to looking at the Sun. Just let us mere mortals soak in the brilliance, and by per chance I achieve something close to this... well... I'd have sold my soul

Awesome

Andy

• RichB63 changed the title to 1:48 EF-4C Phantom II (Tamiya Conversion)