1:48 EF-4C Phantom II (Tamiya Conversion)

@BuNo02100, @cruiz, @philippe.chauvin, @AD-4N, @SERNAK, @A-10 LOADER, @Mr.Happy, @kellyF15, @Janissary, @bashace, @wardog, @Dutch, @Planegeek and @crackerjazz

…Thanks very much for taking the time to comment. I appreciate the kind words, including the humor laced posts!

Rich

Edited by RichB63
On 4/21/2023 at 8:32 AM, crackerjazz said:

Thanks for sharing your techniques, RichB63 : )    Mind if I ask what size rods you use for the rivets which are inserted and cut off?

Hi crackerjazz and thanks for the question.

I think that I introduced confusion early on by posting a picture of stretched sprue rods sticking out of the tank. In fact, these were only used to fill holes, eliminating undesired fastener detail. The rods were later sanded completely flush to the surface.

Archer Fine Transfers were used to depict the fuel tank's raised fastener detail: 0.5 inch diameter round head Phillips screws The product line (sadly defunct) included dozens of sheets of raised resin “rivets,” varying in size and pitch, printed on a continuous film of clear decal.

Out of the package, they’re intended to be cut into thin strips and applied to the model’s surface to represent lines of structural riveting.

I used a small homemade punch (a sharpened stainless steel hypodermic needle) to separate individual rivets from the sheet. This allows for the creation of custom patterns, such as the circle surrounding the fuel cap and the irregular placement of fasteners along the clamp bar.

The process, while tedious and time consuming, yields good results:

The punch is placed over a rivet and gently rocked in a circular motion. This releases and captures the rivet inside the punch. Two more are harvested in this manner before the collection is expelled from the punch into a bath of water using a wire plunger. The process is repeated, three rivets at a time, until a dozen or so are floating around in the pool (see second photo).

A small paint brush is used to pick up and transfer each rivet onto the model. As I mentioned before, the individual resin rivets, having shed their decal film in the harvesting process, do not stick very well to the surface. Decal solvents help somewhat, but a light overcoat of primer is really needed to firmly affix them in place (see last photo).

Hopefully this, along with the pictures below, helps answer the question.

Thanks for your interest in the project!

Rich

ZO60a3c.jpg

IgE9XXF.jpg

jduE6OJ.jpg

iKFwKY0.jpg

Edited by RichB63
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 10:12 AM, bashace said:

You can purchase this new release set at Spruebrothers:

BBBB3D0031 1:48 Babibi Model 3D Detail Set - Rivets & Lines

bashace, thanks for the link. It’s good to see that other manufacturers are filling the void.

Rich

Edited by RichB63

KN23Fsy.jpg

Tanks a Lot, Part Deux…

The wing mounted 370 gallon tanks are finished. Tamiya have done a great job with these - more accurate and better detailed than anything previous.

However, to facilitate some of this extra detail, each tank is comprised of three main sections: conventional left and right halves plus a bottom center piece, therefore complicating assembly and cleanup to a degree. Some of the raised surface features were inevitably lost in the filling and sanding stages…and I deliberately removed the rest, including the longitudinal clamp bar, so as to provide a blank canvas for the restoration work, ensuring a more uniform appearance in the end.

Won’t Get Fueled Again…

Past experience has taught me to avoid solvent cements when joining together fuel tanks. Here’s why…

JHP6RQ4.jpg

So, this time around, it was super glue all the way through.

As with the big centerline tank from last month, girth and seam welds were simulated with thin, heat-stretched sprue, texturized with a fine beading tool.

2qGdfYb.jpg

TKYAOFI.jpg

The raised collars at the section joins were restored with additional layers of gray primer…

JrOcyq7.jpg

H3gNFsl.jpg

Archer Fine Transfers were once again used to depict the myriad raised fasteners that festoon the tanks…132 per unit. 

Also note the sunken (and shrunken) photo etched brass fuel cap - see previous installment on the centerline tank for details about these additions from Eduard.

NIpxYZ9.jpg

vyZS28A.jpg

qftos0I.jpg

That’s all for now. The tanks were a welcome diversion. Now it’s back to those MLG wells.

Thanks for tuning in!

Rich

Edited by RichB63

I take no consolation in the fact that even a master such as yourself has to deal with ghost seams like us mere mortals.  Those tanks are fantastic though and will look magnificent slung under your Phantom

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2023 at 3:22 PM, wardog said:

I've been following Rich on other modeling sites and often blown away at his creativeness and "out of the box" thinking.

Are you allowed to mention the "other modeling sites" ... or post some thread links?

Thanks,

Gene K

@A-10 LOADER, @BuNo02100, @Memphis, @wardog, @lgl007, @Cliff C, @GeneK & @BillS

Thanks very much guys for browsing and taking the time and effort to post comments. As always, it’s most welcome and appreciated.

As I’ve said before, my usual practice is to wait until the next update before acknowledging posts from the previous, simply as a way to reduce thread congestion. However, it’s been almost 3 months! 

The typical summer slowdown is mostly responsible for the lag. That said, I’ve been chipping away at the Phantom and should have something worthwhile sharing later this month. 

Cheers,

Rich

Edited by RichB63
Time line edited
13 hours ago, RichB63 said:

@A-10 LOADER, @BuNo02100, @Memphis, @wardog, @lgl007, @Cliff C, @GeneK & @BillS

Thanks very much guys for browsing and taking the time and effort to post comments. As always, it’s most welcome and appreciated.

As I’ve said before, my usual practice is to wait until the next update before acknowledging posts from the previous, simply as a way to reduce thread congestion. However, it’s been 3 months! 

The typical summer slowdown is mostly responsible for the lag. That said, I’ve been chipping away at the Phantom and should have something worthwhile sharing later this month. 

Cheers,

Rich

Good morning

we are all hoping to see this weasel 4 happen! seen all the improvements you have meticulously made.

cheers

philip

• RichB63 changed the title to 1:48 EF-4C Phantom II (Tamiya Conversion)
  • 2 months later...

No Man is an Island…

…no modeler is either, despite the solitary nature of our pursuits.

I’d like to acknowledge and thank a couple of ARC members for their help and support along the way.

A few years ago @GW8345 sent me a file comprised of over a dozen detailed illustrations of external fuel tanks, including those used on Phantoms. They proved invaluable in the construction and detailing of the Royal Jet and Sargent Fletcher tanks which I covered here last Spring.

LCVC0gV.jpg

Secondly, @Gene K sent me these beautiful 3D printed accessories for my build:

xJ65uYM.jpg

Gerry and Gene: thanks for your generosity. And thanks for contributing here on a day-to-day basis. I’ve learned a great deal about fast jets from you both!

And Back to Regularly Scheduled Programming…

Well, it hasn’t been so regular of late…but I’m putting together the finishing touches on a new update that I’ll post here later this weekend.

Edited by RichB63

“Patches, Plugs and Spillways”

uGrsfEh.jpg

neEK9fe.jpg

PbQPow5.jpg

PTj1efC.jpg

Another sub assembly is complete - this time the broad and formidable shoulders of the beast. Once again, the Tamiya parts are accurate and well engineered, fitting together perfectly. I fabricated from scratch a couple of weasel specific antennas (patches), the early style intake covers (plugs) and the vari-ramp vent details (spillways)…a dam silly theme that (crudely) ties together this report!

The patches

zzgBVrN.jpg

For the AN/ALR-53 antenna fairings, I employed embossing techniques on .005” thick sheet plastic. First, a jeweler’s beading tool was used to create the small center circle. Next, the plastic was taped atop a steel circle scribing template, being careful to center things up. From behind, a sphere tipped embossing tool was rubbed against the plastic creating the dished impression. The parts were then separated and trimmed down to squares. 
Zd64XU2.jpg

Small tabs were added along the lower edges per references and the finished antennas were scabbed onto the air intakes.

FvxXhFr.jpg

1/48 scale HGW Rivets (the original black style) were applied individually to the antennas’ perimeter, mimicking, but not entirely replicating, the pattern shown in references. The lower rivet count maintains harmony with Tamiya’s more restrained approach to fastener depiction across the airframe. It also made my work easier! 

A5Jftm3.jpg

The Plugs

There are any number of aftermarket Phantom intake covers available. But every set I’ve examined, including the one pictured below from Quickboost, depicts the late style design, introduced around the year 1976.

yqBHiyF.jpg

Period photographs indicate that an earlier style cover, as seen on this USAFE F-4D, was used throughout the Vietnam War Era and slightly beyond. So I started from scratch.

SCvKzAp.jpg

Going Retro 
The new covers (err, old covers) consist of 12 parts each…a baker’s dozen if we include the aluminum micro tube eyelets. Plastic used ranged in thickness from .005” to .040.”

When fashioning smaller sections, like the eyelets, it’s often easier to start big and work your way down, as it makes for easier parts handling.
Td1PsQ4.jpg

“Glue holes” were punched into the thin backing sheets, allowing for an even, controlled application of low viscosity superglue, which ensures a strong, distortion free bond. Solvent cements are strictly forbidden when working with .005” sheet stock!

Eu6NSBI.jpg

To help create an even radius around the eyelet area, a punched brass disc was temporarily tack glued to the cover, forming a sanding template.

Cv4GIgf.jpg

The two handhold slots were formed by first drilling appropriately spaced holes in the thin plastic sheet. A Hasegawa Trytool Rivet Spacing Guide ensures precision alignment.

R7wc3Ag.jpg

Careful cutting and sanding between the holes create the elongated racetrack patterns.

gAKG3Vj.jpg

The hand grips are taking shape, again purposefully oversized at this stage.
M7U6qsh.jpg

RtM0xHl.jpg

An engraved line was scored into the backside of the covers…

KfCxgsr.jpg

…this in hopes of creating the illusion of an overlapping join with the intake lips, which themselves were trimmed back a couple of scale inches, reinforcing the look of fully seated ground covers enveloping the airframe.

elieGQU.jpg

Primed and in place.

IIuZL7P.jpg

jTxUaoK.jpg

Red, I want red, there’s no substitute for red! 

suJ8rKc.jpg

The Spillways 

More properly, the variable-ramp vents, part of a clever boundary layer air extraction system McDonnell engineers designed into the Phantom’s double-sonic rated jet intakes.

yaIR5Bq.jpg

Tamiya have depicted these vents; but the limitations of injection molding technology restrict their detail and finesse.

I wanted to take it a step further, especially after measuring and photographing these interesting and complex features on a local museum example here in the Phoenix area.

cXNcoHe.jpg

Again, the material of choice was sheet styrene: .005, .007 and .010 inch stock from Evergreen Plastics.

Seven thousandth inch stock, you ask?

In fact, my last two purchases of .005” sheet from Evergreen turned out to be 40% thicker than advertised; unexpected good fortune, as I now have an “in-between” option.

Anyway, the vent side walls were thinned down or, where possible, replaced entirely with plastic card. Internal structure was added per references. The overlapping sleeves were also removed and replaced, along the way accounting for the noticeable gap seen in the lower sections.

RYcfwei.jpg

8pduwXJ.jpg

LRYRWPg.jpg

DMtScqj.jpg

ksD5sPp.jpg

s6V6b0m.jpg

s97ofIw.jpg

Thanks for tuning in!

Rich

Edited by RichB63

Stellar work, Rich! Again, your craftsmanship and attention to detail are unmatched. I can't wait to see what you have planned for the front office; whatever it is, I'm sure It'll be amazing.

-Elmo

On 10/8/2023 at 1:01 AM, wardog said:

Stellar work, Rich! Again, your craftsmanship and attention to detail are unmatched. I can't wait to see what you have planned for the front office; whatever it is, I'm sure It'll be amazing.

-Elmo

Thanks Elmo!

I’ll get around to the cockpit eventually. I’m looking forward to it in fact. I’ve already acquired some aftermarket product, the centerpieces being the spectacular Sparkit Martin Bakers. All along, the assembly sequence for this build has been decidedly non-traditional - recall I started with the tail! Deviating from the instructions can be dangerous, but I think (and I certainly hope) that I’ve thought this through and not painted myself into any corners. We’ll see about that!

My reasoning here is twofold: completing the underwing ordnance early on, for example, ensures these items get proper attention. When left until the end, they too often receive short shrift, as enthusiasm for the project inevitably wanes. Secondly, it allows for a degree of freedom and spontaneity, important factors in maintaining momentum over the long haul, which I’m certain you can relate to.

Thanks again for the kind words.

On 10/8/2023 at 4:59 AM, BuNo02100 said:

Wait, you included lightening holes on the back side of the covers that will never be seen?  Not surprised at all, and such clean, precise work

Hi BuNo. And thanks for your continued support for this silly project!

This latest update was heavy on pictures and light on explanatory text. On the overhanging back face of the covers, what appear to be lightening holes, are actually “glue holes.” I deliberately avoid the use of solvent cement on .005 inch thick plastic card as it can too easily distort the material. Instead, small drops of low viscosity superglue were applied through the holes (as well as around the perimeter). This method provides for a safe, controlled and distortion free bond. It also helps to ensure a flat planar join between parts, allowing the finished covers to fit snugly against the air intakes.

Over the next day or two, I’ll go back and annotate this latest update which, admittedly, leaves a lot to the imagination!

Edited by RichB63