1:48 EF-4C Phantom II (Tamiya Conversion)

@ExchefAndy and @A-10 LOADER thanks again for leaving such kind remarks…much appreciated 😊

The Beast’s Belly 

Here is where a large number of conversion mods are required. Continuing with the blacklining process mentioned earlier, numerous panels and access doors were reworked, especially around the auxiliary air intakes in the middle where USAF specs called for different engine startup capabilities.
ruWkNkq.jpg

Of course, the catapult tow hook cavities had to be eliminated, in this case by affixing sections from a Zoukei-Mura F-4C kit, which has been sacrificed for the cause.

TotMGo0.jpg

GRU7lCE.jpg

A similar “skin graft” took place just in front of the MLG bays, where the wing bulge begins. Also shown here is a sequence of photos depicting how lost fastener detail was restored to this area.

WrTGT1R.jpg

BXS0LeP.jpg

HBehs1q.jpg

hMmdlav.jpg

QMU4scj.jpg

0qs6gT6.jpg

This wing bulge continues backwards to the speed brake, crossing along the way the aft wing spar. Here, borrowing from the ZM kit was not a viable option, as the spacing is different between the kits. So I built up the angled prominences with plastic card.

Along this same spar section, and just aft of the MLG strut mounts, reinforcement plates were added. These were fabricated from .005 inch card using an unconventional approach, as I could not think of a better way to create the inside corners for this unusual shape.

514VQQU.jpg

93KVj3w.jpg

Ug9WWoW.jpg

G71WxEt.jpg

iDlFqlt.jpg

b4OTg6C.jpg

kavLR19.jpg

AKCU8JO.jpg

Edited by RichB63
On 2/3/2023 at 8:42 AM, habu2 said:

I've never seen non-clear CA before, where do you find this? or is it a home-brew?

aES6V6n.jpg

Hi habu2,

In my experience, the biggest advantage to black or “rubber toughened” CA glue is visibility: it’s simply easier to see, especially as you begin to work it back with sandpaper. I don’t care for its gritty texture though, so I mix it with traditional clear CA (thin formula) at a ratio of approximately 2 drops clear to 1 drop black. Enough tint is retained and a smooth, plastic like finish can be achieved through sanding and polishing.

Several different manufacturers market black CA. I use the BSI product pictured above…it’s readily available from online shops, including Amazon.

Edited by RichB63
  • RichB63 changed the title to 1:48 EF-4C Phantom II (Tamiya)

@philippe.chauvin @A-10 LOADER 

Philip & Steve…I thank you kindly!

A Splash of Color

Tamiya have done a fine job of molding the lower engine sections visible through the open auxiliary air intakes. Tamiya lacquer paints and tinted clears from their acrylic range provide the color. Decals from the spares box simulate placards, labels and hose clamps. A generous lather of “Magic Wash” completes the look.

szIT8ev.jpg

s9efpsw.jpg

GAzthMn.jpg

The fore and aft fuselage formers bracketing this compartment were rebuilt with plastic card to improve their scale appearance.

XbHmIlg.jpg

A9fC7Y0.jpg

wDe2wE9.jpg

The central fuselage keel section separating the two engines also received additional detail to conform to references, including a throttle teleflex cable, control box and torque shaft for each side - fancy technical terms discovered during the research phase. 

RLKPr43.jpg

eXgZh2P.jpg

Edited by RichB63

My EF-4C is less precise than yours ... I made it on the basis of F-4C Monogram. It is not the same level as the Tamiya.

he goes on a stele at the entrance of my little base in Spangdahlem...

I used the photos of the EF-4C on « prime portal »

but you probably have more documentation...

Cordially,

On 2/7/2023 at 12:21 PM, cruiz said:

The surgery was a success; may I ask why you chose this method instead of engraving it using a template? Not a critique; just wondering.

Regards

Carlos

Hi Carlos, 

I did consider scribing into the Tamiya spine, but, in the end, chose the skin graft, mostly due to the complex, asymmetrical shape of the door. Besides, I’d already sacrificed a couple of kits for the cause.

By the way, the Zoukei F-4E and G kits are more accurate in this regard compared to the earlier C/D releases, both in terms of shape and location of the refueling door.

bD88AV2.jpg

Edited by RichB63
10 minutes ago, RichB63 said:

Hi Carlos, 

I did consider scribing into the Tamiya spine, but, in the end, chose the skin graft, mostly due to the complex, asymmetrical shape of the door. Besides, I’d already sacrificed a couple of kits for the cause.

Interestingly, the ZM F-4E and G kits are more accurate in this regard compared to their earlier C/D releases, both in terms of shape and location of the refueling door.

bD88AV2.jpg

It makes sense now; I would have had a hard time aligning an insert as you did; I didn't notice the asymmetrical shape of the door at first; thanks for answering.

1 hour ago, RichB63 said:

@A-10 LOADER @wardog @philippe.chauvin  

Many thanks gents 😊

Spinal Surgery  

…and more skin grafting. The air force style inflight refueling door is from the ZM F-4E kit. Associated fasteners were added too.

of2NUcj.jpg 

Just curious, after you applied the black CA,

1. How long did you have to wait before you started sanding?

2. What grades of sandpaper did you use? 

Your result is very smooth and polished. I'm trying to achieve that too.  

Thank you very much :thumbsup:

@JackMan…thanks very much for those links to the scribing template. I love that kind of stuff!

Regarding the process, I allow the CA glue to harden (minimum 10 to 15 minutes) before attacking it.

I start with 600 or 800 grit sandpaper stuck to hardback sanding tools, commercial or homemade. I seldom use anything more coarse, thus avoiding hard-to-remove scratches.

Rigidity is key during this phase as the dried CA glue is usually more unyielding than the surrounding plastic.

I don't break out the sanding sponges until the later finishing stages.

Lastly, I'll treat the area with some plastic polish (Novus 1 & 2).

Modelers talk about a window of opportunity for sanding CA glue - a sweet spot in time before it dries so hard as to become nearly unworkable. And while I don’t doubt the chemistry, there are too many variables involved for me to nail down that moment precisely and consistently…so I don’t worry about it. Even days later, I’ve had success sanding back fully cured CA glue. The key again, in my opinion, is the use of hardback sanding tools.

7ZWOD5I.jpg

JQeERnM.jpg

Edited by RichB63

Thanks for the detailed response of your technique :thumbsup:

Agreed about CA drying so hard, it becomes unworkable.  Happened to me when I first started experimenting with CA glue.  Made the mistake of leaving the CA on the kit for almost 2 weeks before realising that it was like trying to sand a piece of rock. :doh:

@cruiz, @JackMan, @ST0RM, @my favs are F`s…thanks for following along, your comments are deeply appreciated!

More Color 

The auxiliary intake area is complete, save for some ground safety locks that will be installed on the door actuators, a feature of parked jets. 

I love my favs are F’s “cyberpunk” comment. It's true! As these parts will literally lurk in the shadows of the finished model, I deliberately went all in with Spanish style contrast and highlighting, mostly in the form of a heavy “Magic Wash” consisting of a 50/50 mix of Future Floor Polish and tap water, plus a few drops of Tamiya X-1 Gloss Black. 

Door placards are from AOA Decals.

FZouIbU.jpg

SbeBaYz.jpg

BvJjMfZ.jpg

As you can see from the two photos below, paint discoloration and lubricant stains are features of the real thing. The second aircraft also wears a thick coat of dust from sitting derelict in the desert.

pg5IBca.jpg

OusBxgq.jpg

Edited by RichB63

@11bee John, good to have you aboard. And thanks for your kind words.

@philippe.chauvin, @Mr.Happy, once again, thanks for your interest in this silly project…and, as always, for your friendly comments.

A Wing And (mostly) A Prayer…

rNFj4tp.jpg

Maybe the most challenging aspect of this conversion project is the wing. I mentioned earlier the many panels and hatches underneath that require attention.

But the most obvious change is the later style “thick wing.” Here I followed Jun Temma’s lead and replaced a section of each upper wing half with parts from the ZM F-4C. These new pieces were thinned down on the inside to match the thickness of the surrounding Tamiya parts. This helps ensure the large structural brace (part A1) fits properly inside the wing.

vM41YoJ.jpg

As you can see, this eliminated all of the the MLG bay interior detail, so new ceiling liners were fashioned from 0.005 inch card. 
NBVipJu.jpg

To recreate the raised fasteners, I copied the pattern from the original Tamiya wing by embossing brass foil over the detail and transferring it to the plastic card ceiling liners. A semi sharp sewing needle provided the punch.

E56TR9R.jpg

ZIBjApI.jpg

QlJGZYk.jpg

I’m finishing up the MLG bays now. Except for the doors, which will come from the ZM kit, everything is scratch-built as there was no easy way of incorporating any of the kit parts in this area, given all of the remodeling.

Thanks for tuning in!

Edited by RichB63
  • RichB63 changed the title to 1:48 EF-4C Phantom II (Tamiya Conversion)