1:48 EF-4C Phantom II (Tamiya Conversion)

On 10/9/2023 at 6:51 PM, Cliff C said:

Amazing detailed and precise work.  Thanks for taking the time to photograph and share. 

-Cliff

On 10/9/2023 at 10:43 AM, jenshb said:

This is some of the crispest and cleanest modelling I've ever seen...

Thanks very much! I appreciate the kind words!

On 10/10/2023 at 8:51 AM, ST0RM said:

Jaw dropping details, Rich. The intake plugs were a project in themselves. 
Looks fantastic. 

-Jeff

Much appreciated Jeff!

Mailbag:

New from ResKit are these 1:48 USAF style inner wing pylons. They’re exquisite. The bomb rack detail is especially impressive (note the cannon plugs tucked away inside the rectangular opening). 

Originally, I was going to adapt the Zoukei-Mura pylons. But my mind has been changed, not to mention blown, by this offering from ResKit. They’ll make for wonderful additions and save me a lot of time.

24ZGAS5.jpg

LHfrK7J.jpg

tJ7KS7Q.jpg

And from Fundekals here in the U.S., arrived this comprehensive and extremely well researched set of stencil markings: a decaling tour de force, ideal for this project.

KSZcAe7.jpg

Z6CHfp9.jpg

97oqRfh.jpg

8Ak3qFj.jpg

Edited by RichB63

2 hours ago, RichB63 said:

Much appreciated Jeff!

Mailbag:

New from ResKit are these 1:48 USAF style inner wing pylons. They’re exquisite. The bomb rack detail is especially impressive, as seen in these photos. 

Originally, I was going to adapt the Zoukei-Mura pylons. But my mind’s been changed (not to mention blown!). These 3D printed accessories from Ukraine are wonderful and will save me a lot of time.

24ZGAS5.jpg

LHfrK7J.jpg

tJ7KS7Q.jpg

And from Fundekals here in the U.S., arrived this comprehensive and extremely well researched set of decals. These are perfect!

KSZcAe7.jpg

Z6CHfp9.jpg

97oqRfh.jpg

8Ak3qFj.jpg

The detail on those pylons must be amazingly good if you consider them instead of doing your own scratch-built version.

I would have a hard time deciding between leaving the pylons alone or mounting the ordinance, hiding that intricate detail.

49 minutes ago, cruiz said:

The detail on those pylons must be amazingly good if you consider them instead of doing your own scratch-built version.

I would have a hard time deciding between leaving the pylons alone or mounting the ordinance, hiding that intricate detail.

Thank you!

Yes, it would be a shame to hide all of that detail. But to not include Shrike missiles on a Wild Weasel build seems equally reprehensible!

It’s a tough call.

7 hours ago, RichB63 said:

Much appreciated Jeff!

Mailbag:

New from ResKit are these 1:48 USAF style inner wing pylons. They’re exquisite. The bomb rack detail is especially impressive, as seen in these photos. 

Originally, I was going to adapt the Zoukei-Mura pylons. But my mind’s been changed (not to mention blown!). These 3D printed accessories from Ukraine are wonderful and will save me a lot of time.

24ZGAS5.jpg

LHfrK7J.jpg

tJ7KS7Q.jpg

And from Fundekals here in the U.S., arrived this comprehensive and extremely well researched set of decals. These are perfect!

KSZcAe7.jpg

Z6CHfp9.jpg

97oqRfh.jpg

8Ak3qFj.jpg

Amazing stuff, Rich. The 3D printed accessories are real game changer. Unlike resin casted parts, I'm guessing there's no shrinkage to worry about. Can't wait to see what you do with these.

-Elmo

On 10/12/2023 at 7:46 PM, wardog said:

Amazing stuff, Rich. The 3D printed accessories are real game changer. Unlike resin casted parts, I'm guessing there's no shrinkage to worry about. Can't wait to see what you do with these.

-Elmo

Hi Elmo,

I have zero experience with 3D printing (or traditional resin casting for that matter).

What I’ve gleaned from others is that a slight amount of shrinkage does take place (with 3D prints) during the initial cure process. However, it’s more predictable and consistent compared to traditional casting and therefore more easily compensated for in the design phase.

Never say never, but I don’t see myself getting directly involved with this aspect of the hobby, as exciting as it is. I’m too stuck in my old fashioned (read: crude) ways! But I’m glad others have as it is rapidly advancing the state-of-the-art in scale modeling. As you say, it’s a game changer!

Rich

Edited by RichB63
  • 3 months later...
On 10/13/2023 at 9:08 AM, RichB63 said:

What I’ve gleaned from others is that a slight amount of shrinkage does take place (with 3D prints) ... .

:coolio:

How goes it on this magnificent build?

Gene K

2 hours ago, GeneK said:

:coolio:

How goes it on this magnificent build?

Gene K

Hi Gene,

First off, thanks for the kind words (and clever photoshop work) from last October - much appreciated!

Been jamming away on this:

WFsJL73.jpeg

9OCMERn.jpeg

It should be finished in a week or two, at which time I’ll post a comprehensive update.

Again, thanks for your interest in the project!

Rich

Edited by RichB63
  • 1 month later...
On 4/15/2024 at 8:36 AM, GeneK said:

Have you been able to get back to this grand build, Rich?

Gene K

Hi Gene!

Thanks for rattling my cage…how quickly 2 weeks turns into 2 months!

Regarding the ALQ-119 pod, I suffered some setbacks during the painting stages resulting in not just one, but two, strippings and redoings! Luckily, no harm done. 

Hopefully more pictures soon.

Edited by RichB63