AIM-9L/M & X missile head colour

I have always had serious problem how to paint heads of above mentioned missiles.
The problem is, that on every single picture available that head colour looks a little different. It is something between dark metal, and very dull brownish something.
Anyone knows what is those heads made of and what mettalic paints or mix of paints is good to paint it properly?

Aim 9m hi-res stock photography and images - AlamyAn Air Force AIM-9 Sidewinder missile on an A-10 Warthog attack jet. The  Sidewinder is an air-to-air missile designed for dog-fighting Stock Photo -  AlamyAIM-9 Sidewinder | Military.com

DVIDS - Images - AIM-9X Sidewinder Live Missile Firing [Image 2 of 7]

I tried to make it on my own, byt I am not satisfied wtith the results:
image.thumb.png.8f8660e209730aad46f92f1373f7367a.png

I think the photos you've posted show a pretty good reference for the actual color, which does have some degree of variation.  The trick with representing it in scale is a combination of the color and not overdoing the metallic - the real thing are an anodized finish, so unlike most "natural metal" finishes you're actually trying to keep the metallic aspect subtle - and no more than a satin/semi-gloss, matte probably being more accurate in scale.

I've yet to find an "out of the bottle" match but on the examples I've been happiest with I combined a metallic steel (not silver or aluminum) and a matte dark warm gray (something like FS 36081 is a place to start but it'll vary some by how bright your steel of choice is).

6 hours ago, Solo said:

I have always had serious problem how to paint heads of above mentioned missiles.
The problem is, that on every single picture available that head colour looks a little different. It is something between dark metal, and very dull brownish something.
Anyone knows what is those heads made of and what mettalic paints or mix of paints is good to paint it properly?

3 hours ago, Jabba29 said:

I have been told by an RAF Armourer on another web site that the colour on AIM-9L/Ms is Gunmetal.

The seeker head has a green-ish hue to it that varies depending on the light or angle it's viewed from. 

While not perfect and still a little bit too metallic, Scale Finishes had an out of the bottle paint called AIM-9 Seeker Head Green in development. They tried to match the color based on several photos I sent them (including the one below). When airbrushed, it's a tad light. However, when Tamiya smoke is airbrushed over it, it brings it a little closer. However, I can't seem to find it on the site, so not sure if it actually went into production. I do have a sample bottle though.

https://scalefinishes.com/Military.html

305923049-5681890778498747-7872518821698

308629728-5681891618498663-4877470068473

12 hours ago, Raptor.777 said:

Another person mentioned to me for AGM65 thermal imaging maverick missile that clear orange and clear blue mixed 50/50 works pretty  good. Looked good on a test piece I did. Pretty much the same material for the seeker head on both missiles

I don't think you're referring to the same part of the missile we're discussing here. We're not talking about the lens/window, but rather the guidance section itself, which is not the same material.

I do believe gunmetal is a little to dark for that.

5 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

We're not talking about the lens/window, but rather the guidance section itself, which is not the same material.

Dave, do you know if that head section is made of pure metal, or it is just painted to that colour?
파일:external/www.air-and-space.com/DSC_1052%20AIM-9M%20left%20side%20seeker%20head%20l.jpg

And I think I found good mixture: any light metal (e.g. stainless steel) plus Tamiya XF-65 Field Gray. That last one paint is very dark grey with very distinct shade of green.

4 hours ago, Solo said:

I do believe gunmetal is a little to dark for that.

Dave, do you know if that head section is made of pure metal, or it is just painted to that colour?

And I think I found good mixture: any light metal (e.g. stainless steel) plus Tamiya XF-65 Field Gray. That last one paint is very dark grey with very distinct shade of green.

They are not painted. That is the natural color of the metal used. It's been a long time and I don't remember exactly what metal it is.

As far as I know, it's not the natural color of the metal used, but the color of the metal (aluminum) after anodizing, which creates a thin 'skin' that has much better corrosion resistance. The anodized aluminum that I've seen is grey-ish, but you can color the anodized layer with dye, since that layer is porous. Therefore I *think* a specific dye was used to create this color, with all kinds of variations.

Rob

The most realistic finish I have seen is here:

Somewhere in there, Harry describes how he does it but basically a light metallic base, followed by a misting layer of a greenish or smoke like color (IIRC).

I tried to do something similar, with inferior results here:

FWIW, mine was a metallic base, then I took a fine brush, gently rolled it around the tip of a sharpie marker (green and purple), and tried to transfer that onto the metallic base tip. It should have been more subtle. Again, Harry's approach is the best I have seen, of course in my opinion. 

If I were you, I would now try to dry brush green and/or dark colored ground pastel powder onto what you now have. You may get good results, though the metallic base may prove to be too shiny to dry brush over. 

Edited by Janissary
9 hours ago, Janissary said:

If I were you, I would now try to dry brush green and/or dark colored ground pastel powder onto what you now have. You may get good results, though the metallic base may prove to be too shiny to dry brush over. 

I think so.
My heads are too shiny and I need to cover it with clear matt. But I think it could be good idea with that pastels. But maybe I will use clear smoke to make it a little bit darker.

Edited by Solo

They look good Solo. The flat coat will make a difference too.

Trust me, I've loaded a LOT of AIM-9's in my career and, no two ever really look the same. They all have a different sheen to them.

Steve

On 1/30/2023 at 6:59 PM, Rob de Bie said:

As far as I know, it's not the natural color of the metal used, but the color of the metal (aluminum) after anodizing, which creates a thin 'skin' that has much better corrosion resistance. The anodized aluminum that I've seen is grey-ish, but you can color the anodized layer with dye, since that layer is porous. Therefore I *think* a specific dye was used to create this color, with all kinds of variations.

Rob

It looks like the aluminum was anodized with a nickel acetate seal., which leaves the greyish base metal appearance.  Normally, the other treatment is to use is a chromate sealed anodized aluminum which leaves a greenish/gold appearance, depending on the surface finish of the base metal.

Thank you.
And what about AIM-9X Sidewinders? I think their heads colour is a little bit different from those of L/M ones.
It looks like dark steel or something similar? How do you think it should be painted?

DVIDS - Images - AIM-9X Sidewinder Live Missile Firing [Image 2 of 7]