3D printer reviews

Good day all,

I thinking of getting myself a 3D printer for making mostly smallish 1/48 aircraft parts - bang seats, undercarriage, bombs, missles, atennae - that kind of thing.

In the longer run also to print bigger stuff in the same scale (1/48 Vulcan, Hustler - who knows?)

All advice on best printer and printer type to buy, where to find available files, how to design your own stuff, all would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc.

Im more of a Warhammer miniature printer myself rather than small detail parts, but only because I cant seem to find any detail parts to print.

I started looking a couple of years ago then a yt channel I watch did a review of the Phrozen sonic mini 4k.

That lead to the sonic mighty 4k then mini 8k and now the mighty 8k.

Thats what I ended up with and it is... I think 3D resin printers are now at a level where there are going to be no more step change increases in quality all the printers will follow the lead phrozen have made and just add new features like wifi, cameras, heaters, air cleaners etc.

People thinking that printing a whole model like a Vulcan.

Yeah...
I mean its possible, with all the parts designed in CAD it would be perfectly possible of course, but the cost of printing that make parts, including all the supports would be simply staggering. I would imagine you would have a couple of Kg of waste resin in the supports alone if not more, and thats about £100 worth of resin.

Dont bother looking at the PLA printers with the spool of filament, the quality just isnt up to it, the striations on even the best prints will have you cursing while you finish it by hand.

Start with Luke on geek gaming scenics and work out from there.

Edited by ElectroSoldier

Thanks Electro and that pretty much agrees with my intuition which is all I have right now seeing as I'm a total novice.

Files to produce the below if tempting seem far fetched to me:
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/miniatures/vehicles/battlestar-galactica-old-scale-model

at least at reasonable cost (that one is designed as a solid).

Indeed, I want to get started with maybe some extra 1/48 cockpit bits, weapons etc. Making a solid '48th Buff as you say isn't on the cards for the time being.

Do you know any good fora for tutorials (product reviews, set up and calibration) and files for aviation jet modeling?

Marc.

1 hour ago, serendip said:

Thanks Electro and that pretty much agrees with my intuition which is all I have right now seeing as I'm a total novice.

Files to produce the below if tempting seem far fetched to me:
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/miniatures/vehicles/battlestar-galactica-old-scale-model

at least at reasonable cost (that one is designed as a solid).

Indeed, I want to get started with maybe some extra 1/48 cockpit bits, weapons etc. Making a solid '48th Buff as you say isn't on the cards for the time being.

Do you know any good fora for tutorials (product reviews, set up and calibration) and files for aviation jet modeling?

Marc.

You can change the dimensions of the print.
I mean there is a scale of the original render and you can print that 1:1 but that would need to have been made is 1:48 scale in CAD to print to its native size, but then you could down scale it to the dimensions that are equal to 1:72

On 1/29/2023 at 1:28 AM, serendip said:

Good day all,

I thinking of getting myself a 3D printer for making mostly smallish 1/48 aircraft parts - bang seats, undercarriage, bombs, missles, atennae - that kind of thing.

In the longer run also to print bigger stuff in the same scale (1/48 Vulcan, Hustler - who knows?)

All advice on best printer and printer type to buy, where to find available files, how to design your own stuff, all would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc.

I'm in the process of selling my house and trying to find a new place to live at the moment, so don't really have the time right now. However, if you don't get any further responses in the next few weeks, drop me a line as a reminder and I'll share as much as I can. The FLD resin line has been 100% 3D printed since February of 2020 and I've had as many as 17 printers at one time (currently down to 13 and they're all Elegoo). I'd be happy to help once things settle down. 

16 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

I'm in the process of selling my house and trying to find a new place to live at the moment, so don't really have the time right now. However, if you don't get any further responses in the next few weeks, drop me a line as a reminder and I'll share as much as I can. The FLD resin line has been 100% 3D printed since February of 2020 and I've had as many as 17 printers at one time (currently down to 13 and they're all Elegoo). I'd be happy to help once things settle down. 

Dave,

Thanks for your generous attitude!

Good luck with the house.

Marc.

Is DLP printing better than SLA? Is speed the only advantage?

There seems to be pros and cons to both, DLP isnt something I know about to be totally honest with you. I have been watching a few videos for only a few months and went with SLA as the reviews show they give the results I wanted.

I am quite new to the 3D printing world. Im sure Dave would be able to give you much more practical help than I can.

Ive just been having a look around and its Anycubic that make the DLP printers not Elegoo anyway.

Edited by ElectroSoldier

Okay, things are still a bit crazy, but I can piece meal this together over the next few days. 

For starters, I would highly recommend the Elegoo Mars 3. It is a 4K printer that gives outstanding results and is currently the best bang for the buck. I currently have 7 of them and will be getting 3 more once we move into a new house and everything settles down. At the current price of $208, you really can't go wrong. Easy to level, easy to clean, easy to use and extra parts (LCD screen, build plates, vats) are readily available. 95% of the parts in my line are produced on this printer. 

There is a user group on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/groups/343429203114378 and there are dozens of videos on YouTube. I'll post more in a day or so.

https://www.amazon.com/ELEGOO-Monochrome-Ultra-high-143×89×175mm-5-62×3-5×6-8in/dp/B095K3JWP3/ref=sr_1_3?crid=18NA0BEP3KQEO&keywords=elegoo+mars+3&qid=1675612196&sprefix=elegoo+mars+3%2Caps%2C117&sr=8-3

71YQFRcTqBL._AC_SX679_.jpg 

44 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

Okay, things are still a bit crazy, but I can piece meal this together over the next few days. 

For starters, I would highly recommend the Elegoo Mars 3. It is a 4K printer that gives outstanding results and is currently the best bang for the buck. I currently have 7 of them and will be getting 3 more once we move into a new house and everything settles down. At the current price of $208, you really can't go wrong. Easy to level, easy to clean, easy to use and extra parts (LCD screen, build plates, vats) are readily available. 95% of the parts in my line are produced on this printer. 

There is a user group on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/groups/343429203114378 and there are dozens of videos on YouTube. I'll post more in a day or so.

https://www.amazon.com/ELEGOO-Monochrome-Ultra-high-143×89×175mm-5-62×3-5×6-8in/dp/B095K3JWP3/ref=sr_1_3?crid=18NA0BEP3KQEO&keywords=elegoo+mars+3&qid=1675612196&sprefix=elegoo+mars+3%2Caps%2C117&sr=8-3

I think the Mars 3 Pro is considerably cheaper than the one I ended up getting and the print quality seems to be not far apart.

9 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I think the Mars 3 Pro is considerably cheaper than the one I ended up getting and the print quality seems to be not far apart.

However one of the videos that sold me was this.
(1) DO NOT BUY - Phrozen Sonic Mini 8k Review for Miniatures, Warhammer & More - YouTube

Ive watched this guy for a while, he normally goes with Elegoo printers but then a while after Luke did his video this came out and I was sold on it as it gives me exactly what I wanted, which was to be able to print my own GW quality level minis. Which it does and it is the only one that does RIGHT NOW!

The Elegoo printers seem to the 100% capable of printing out model aircraft conversions and such items, but wargaming minis are different.

It really depends what you want as to what one to look at as the price is £200 vs £800 and the quality jump isnt that big if you are not printing things like minis.

4 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Only if you have the particular problem being talked about on that thread. Otherwise its quite bloated.

Let alone if one makes a remark about Putin and where he should go which get's one banned - whoops 🙂 - my own fault though.

2 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Cap'n Bluebeard there looks fantastic!

You design those Dave? Excellent stuff,

Marc.

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

A bit off topic but still interesting - check out this massive 3D metal printer:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/03/relativity-space-printed-its-terran-1-rockets-second-stage-in-a-few-weeks/

Interesting Habu. I guess what they print though are zero stress parts? I.e., no G-loads, excessive vibration, cold / heat etc.?

Cap'n Bluebeard there looks fantastic!

You design those Dave? Excellent stuff,

Marc.

No, that's an Elegoo product image from Amazon. I don't do anything outside of my product line.

2 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

The Elegoo printers seem to the 100% capable of printing out model aircraft conversions and such items, but wargaming minis are different.

It really depends what you want as to what one to look at as the price is £200 vs £800 and the quality jump isnt that big if you are not printing things like minis.

Anything that can be printed on a Phrozen printer can be done on an Elegoo and vice versa. It comes down to the settings for each part printed, orientation on the printer build plate, how it's sliced and supported, etc. Like any product, some prefer Elegoo, some prefer Phrozen and some prefer Anycubic. They all do the exact same thing. I had a Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K and hated it. I know a few guys that swear they're the best printers out there. For this discussion, I'm going to stick to Elegoo because that is what I have. 

2 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Anything that can be printed on a Phrozen printer can be done on an Elegoo and vice versa. It comes down to the settings for each part printed, orientation on the printer build plate, how it's sliced and supported, etc. Like any product, some prefer Elegoo, some prefer Phrozen and some prefer Anycubic. They all do the exact same thing. I had a Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K and hated it. I know a few guys that swear they're the best printers out there. For this discussion, I'm going to stick to Elegoo because that is what I have. 

Except when its 8K and not 4K.

And the video I posted above the guy is a fan of Elegoo and makes a video that states the Phrozen sets the bar.

im not drawn to any myself, I have what I have but that isnt to say the Mars 3 isnt really good either.

This is a good video that puts the 4k directly up against the 8k version of the same printer

Phrozen Sonic Mini 8k In-Depth Test And Review - Part 2 - YouTube

Edited by ElectroSoldier
1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Except when its 8K and not 4K.

And the video I posted above the guy is a fan of Elegoo and makes a video that states the Phrozen sets the bar.

im not drawn to any myself, I have what I have but that isnt to say the Mars 3 isnt really good either.

This is a good video that puts the 4k directly up against the 8k version of the same printer

Phrozen Sonic Mini 8k In-Depth Test And Review - Part 2 - YouTube

I have an Elegoo Saturn 2, which is an 8K printer. I've printed the same parts on both it and my Mars 3's, which are 4K, and to the naked eye there is no difference. It's why I stick to the Mars 3 for my line and only use the S2 for my larger 1/18th scale Ordnance. 

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Check the link I posted above to see the actual side by side differences between 4k and 8k prints.

I don't need to see the link....I have an 8k and a 4k here and have seen the results in person. For what I print, there is no significant visible difference (to the naked eye) between the two printers.