A-1E color in Vietnam

When the A.F. pulled the A-1s for use with the V.N.A.F., they were Painted in Navy colors.  And for a time only the markings, such as snit markings changed.  Standard A.F. camouflage and markings were added.

I went with my Father to the A.F. Museum back when I got drafted and the A-1 that was used to pick up a downed pilot was on display just inside the gate, andit was painted in Nave colors.  Back then a large portion of the aircraft were still sitting outside and some were still waiting to be unloaded from flatbed train cars or sitting partly removed from the other aircraft.

When Monogran came out in the 1960s with their 1/72 model of a A-1E it was in Grey and white and Fujimi's model of a A-1J in V.N.A.F. markings also hod Navy paint.  By the time I got over there, all combat aircraft were painted in three color cammo.  I think the only exception for combat aircraft wouild be the F-102 and the AC-139 A &H.  The "H" was overall black and the "A" was black underneath and sides but the top was three tome cammo.

Here is an article about Maj Bernie Fisher (MOH recipient) and the plane that he flew during that mission in A Shau Valley that day.   Looking at photos, it was all grey at the time and doesn't appear to have gained it's Navy colors until being repainted at the AF Museum.   https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/bernie-fisher/

16 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

Here is an article about Maj Bernie Fisher (MOH recipient) and the plane that he flew during that mission in A Shau Valley that day.   Looking at photos, it was all grey at the time and doesn't appear to have gained it's Navy colors until being repainted at the AF Museum.   https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/bernie-fisher/

Brother Don,

Thanks for that article link. It's pretty much assured that Maj Bernie Fisher's SPAD was all Lt. Aircraft Gray FS36622.

K/r,

Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Brother Don,

Thanks for that article link. It's pretty much assured that Maj Bernie Fisher's SPAD was all Lt. Aircraft Gray FS36622.

K/r,

Dutch

Shouldn't that be overall COIN Gray, FS36473, Dutch?

FS36622 was the SE Asia camouflage scheme's underside colour...