What weapon loadout can be used on this pylon for the F/18C?

This was one of the first military jets I had built and I built this right out of the box following the kit instructions without much thought or concern for what might go on there

Turns out the kit did not provide a full loadout, so the question is, what would be appropriate for this style pylon?

The pylon is glued on pretty securely and taking it off would be a pain

Forgive me if I am using the wrong terminology as I do not know much about the actual hardware

image.png.4a5acea689fd2774f24e875958635c88.png

2 hours ago, Crash Test Dummy said:

A pair of any 500lb bomb can be an option, plain dumb bombs, JDAM or LGB.  I'm not sure about heavier weapons.  It may be possible, but not common.

Depending on the time period of his markings choice, JDAM or LGB may not be options.  Plus, the JDAM requires a BRU-55 and the LGB a BRU-33A/A CVER - the kit (that appears to be a Hasegawa 1/72 Hornet) only supplies the BRU-33/A VER although he might be able to fudge that by rotating the bombs away from each other on the rack to at least give a visual impression of how they hang under a CVER.  MK-82 is a safe choice that will be correct under pretty much any circumstances in the case of what he showed - just make sure they're the same type of MK-82. 

Edited by Joe Hegedus

Here is the difference between a BRU-33A and a BRU-33A/A:

CVER1.jpg.1017e014f64d2fca09b39c21b1da8f36.jpg

In 1/72 it would be hard to tell the difference in pylon shape, so you can slightly angle the bombs away from each other to get the look of the later VER and thus be ok with putting laser guided bombs on it.

Edited by spejic

and I wanted to add, yes it is the Hasegawa 1/72 F-18C kit

I am using the Red Devils markings

image.thumb.png.277d4c302e302b7d163a384385ddc181.png

This is apparently the plane it is based on.

Although there is nothing on that pylon so I could not get any info there, and the other pylon has missiles instead of the drop tank

I did not come across this until after I finished the build  otherwise, knowing what I know now,  I would have gone for a different configuration with the drop tank and used different launchers

640px-F18_Hornet_Red_Devils.jpg

Edited by blakeh1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 7:10 AM, spejic said:

Here is the difference between a BRU-33A and a BRU-33A/A:

CVER1.jpg.1017e014f64d2fca09b39c21b1da8f36.jpg

In 1/72 it would be hard to tell the difference in pylon shape, so you can slightly angle the bombs away from each other to get the look of the later VER and thus be ok with putting laser guided bombs on it.

Is this Reskit item for the 33/A or 33A/A ?

BRU-55 Smart Bomb Racks for F-18 (2 pcs) (1/32) (reskit-models.com)

And where can you get that wonderful looking dual AIM-120 launcher from in 1:32?

Edited by ElectroSoldier
3 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Is this Reskit item for the 33/A or 33A/A ?

BRU-55 Smart Bomb Racks for F-18 (2 pcs) (1/32) (reskit-models.com)

That Reskit item is a BRU-55, i.e. a smart rack based off of the BRU-33A/A. The 33A/A doesn't have the aft umbilicals, umbilical arms and only has the centerline wiring conduit on the belly.

A BRU-33/A is a VER, the BRU-33A/A is a CVER and the BRU-55 is a BRU-33A/A that is capable of employing GBU-32/38/54's.

Also, if you don't want to buy the Academy 1/32 scale Hornet just to get a set of Monster's you can buy the LAU-115 and LAU-127's from Flying Leathernecks;

https://www.flyingleathernecksdecals.com/p/fl32-2058-lau-115ca-launcher

https://www.flyingleathernecksdecals.com/p/fl32-2060-lau-127ea-missile-launcher

and just glue the LAu-127's to the side of the LAU-115.......and presto, you have a Monster.

hth

GW

Edited by GW8345
2 hours ago, Joe Hegedus said:

The LAU-115/LAU-127 "Monster" is included in the Academy 1/32 Hornet kit.

Are you sure? Ive got 3 of the buggers and I cant find it anywhere!

59 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

That Reskit item is a BRU-55, i.e. a smart rack based off of the BRU-33A/A. The 33A/A doesn't have the aft umbilicals, umbilical arms and only has the centerline wiring conduit on the belly.

A BRU-33/A is a VER, the BRU-33A/A is a CVER and the BRU-55 is a BRU-33A/A that is capable of employing GBU-32/38/54's.

Also, if you don't want to buy the Academy 1/32 scale Hornet just to get a set of Monster's you can buy the LAU-115 and LAU-127's from Flying Leathernecks;

https://www.flyingleathernecksdecals.com/p/fl32-2058-lau-115ca-launcher

https://www.flyingleathernecksdecals.com/p/fl32-2060-lau-127ea-missile-launcher

and just glue the LAu-127's to the side of the LAU-115.......and presto, you have a Monster.

hth

GW

So what does the kit come with?
The instructions just call it a BRU-33.

What can the kit part carry?
Im guessing the BRU-55 can carry a pair of GBU-12s in addition to the JDAM?
I dont think the decals I have are contemporary to the JDAM series of weapons. Kit decals or VFA-97 

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I dont think the decals I have are contemporary to the JDAM series of weapons. Kit decals or VFA-97 

Unless Academy changed what is in the kit, the LAU-115 and LAU-127s are on Sprue "P".  Part P11, P34, P35, P21 and P22.

The 1/32 Academy kit also has BRU-33/A VERs also on sprue "P").  As far as I know, other than perhaps the 1/72 Hasegawa Super Hornet kits, there are no CVERs or BRU-55s in any plastic kit (although I'll admit I haven't looked through the 1/48 Meng Super Hornet or Kinetic 1/48 Legacy Hornets to see what is in there). 

13 minutes ago, Joe Hegedus said:

Unless Academy changed what is in the kit, the LAU-115 and LAU-127s are on Sprue "P".  Part P11, P34, P35, P21 and P22.

The 1/32 Academy kit also has BRU-33/A VERs also on sprue "P").  As far as I know, other than perhaps the 1/72 Hasegawa Super Hornet kits, there are no CVERs or BRU-55s in any plastic kit (although I'll admit I haven't looked through the 1/48 Meng Super Hornet or Kinetic 1/48 Legacy Hornets to see what is in there). 

Oh right I see what it is now.

It tells you to put them together for the AMRAMMs. 

I didnt realise I had that bit 🙂 

So the Vertical Ejector Rack in part 49 can only carry MK-82 bombs and not a pair of Mk-83 or PGMs?

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Oh right I see what it is now.

It tells you to put them together for the AMRAMMs. 

I didnt realise I had that bit 🙂 

So the Vertical Ejector Rack in part 49 can only carry MK-82 bombs and not a pair of Mk-83 or PGMs?

I’m a bit rusty on Hornet load restrictions, but off the top of my head either MK-82 or Mk-83 are OK on a BRU-33/A VER.  PGMs are not useable on a VER - JDAMs require a BRU-55, and GBU-12 need a CVER for adequate carriage clearance (but I don’t recall if the GBU-12 was ever authorized for dual carriage on the legacy Hornet).  Gerry, any thoughts on that?

5 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I have no idea what comes in the kit, I was just answering your question about the Reskit BRU-55.

For the BRU-33/A VER, it was authorized for; Mk 82, Mk 83, Rockets and Mk 62 (Mk 15/BSU-86 Fin) Quickstrikes.

The GBU-12 can be carried by either the BRU-33A/A or BRU-55. The BRU-55 can carry everything a BRU-33A/A can, except for rockets, in addition to GBU-32/38/54.

10 hours ago, Raptor.777 said:

MK 20 Rockeye cluster bombs

Not sure what this post is asking or stating but if you but if you are saying that the Mk 20 was authorized on VER's it would have to be prior to 2004, it wasn't authorized on VER's after 2004.

Edited by GW8345