Revell Tornado ASSTA 3.1

Just ordered the said kit. Going through some reviews on youtube. Apparently, it does not come with any weapons except 2 sidewinders and ecm pods and a Reccelite pod that can also be turned into a Litening pod. It is from the german airforce. So I would like to put some weapons on it that the german airforce would use in real life. Pretty sure they probably don't use our AIM 9M sidewinders but am not sure. Pics have showed they have. Dont the germans use the IRIS T air to air missiles or the ASRAAM 132 air to air missile? What about air to ground ordanance? JDAM's or some sort of laser guided weapon GBU 24's or something? Cant really seem to find much info on this subject. I see sprue brothers sells a weapons kit for the tornado, but am not sure if it is more british orientated. Any ideas?

Thanks

Jeff

We have used AIM-9Ls but nowadays it’s IRIS-T as AAM. Air to Ground they use GBU-24, GBU-54, HARM and Taurus KEPD 350. Dumb bombs used were mostly Matra 25 and Mark 83. Targeting pod used is LITENING. 

HTH

22 minutes ago, Joerg said:

We have used AIM-9Ls but nowadays it’s IRIS-T as AAM. Air to Ground they use GBU-24, GBU-54, HARM and Taurus KEPD 350. Dumb bombs used were mostly Matra 25 and Mark 83. Targeting pod used is LITENING. 

HTH

I saw in some other videos of tornados going through Mach Loop in Wales, that tornados carried the litening pod also. They were attached to the port side of the bottom pylon in the very front. Is there a set spot for those or can they be put any where on the bottom to accomodate specific bombs loads? Is there a special missile rail that the IRIS T uses? I have some out of a Revell Typhoon model that has german and british air to air and air to ground munitions including IRIS T and some rails for the IRIS T. Also some Taurus. What is KEPD 350? This kit is in 1/48th scale. Supposed to be the mostup to date model of the Tornado. Is the ASRAAM 132 a British missile and is there any cases where the germans have used it. Sorry for asking so many ?s

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff,

I‘ll try to answer best I can:

• Regarding the position where the Litening pod is mounted: I think you are referring to RAF Tornados. They usually had them on the forward position of the port fuselage pylon. On German Tornados I’ve seen them mounted on the middle position of the starboard fuselage pylon. No idea if that’s the only pylon wired or if they could be carried elsewhere. There are pics with one Litening on the starboard fuselage pylon an a GBU-24 on the port fuselage pylon.
  • IRIS-T is carried on standard LAU-7 rails.
  • Taurus KEPD 350 is the full designation for Taurus. KEPD means Kinetic Energy Penetrator and Destroyer. 350 refers to it‘s range with >350km being the development target.
  • AIM-132 ASRAAM is used by the RAF and RAAF exclusively.

You could also use a buddy refueling pod or a practice bomb dispenser CBLS-200.

HTH

Joerg

18 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Jeff,

• Regarding the position where the Litening pod is mounted: I think you are referring to RAF Tornados. They usually had them on the forward position of the port fuselage pylon. On German Tornados I’ve seen them mounted on the middle position of the starboard fuselage pylon. No idea if that’s the only pylon wired or if they could be carried elsewhere. There are pics with one Litening on the starboard fuselage pylon an a GBU-24 on the port fuselage pylon.
  • Taurus KEPD 350 is the full designation for Taurus. KEPD means Kinetic Energy Penetrator and Destroyer. 350 refers to it‘s range with >350km being the development target.

HTH

Joerg

Would the standard rails in the kit work with the IRIS T missiles? My typhoon model is where I took the Taurus cruise missiles from. Really don't want to take the missile rails as I would have to cut them off the typhoon kit. Is there a aftermarket option? Thank you for the info

Jeff

LAU-7s are the standard Sidewinder rails used by lots of different aircraft like F-4s, A-4s, Hornets, AV-8Bs,…

Flying Leathernecks Decals has several subtypes available. That said, if you mount the missiles anyway you can just use thr kit rails, which are representing LAU-7s.

Typhoon rails are different and wouldn’t be correct for a Tornado.

Cheers

Joerg

17 minutes ago, Joerg said:

LAU-7s are the standard Sidewinder rails used by lots of different aircraft like F-4s, A-4s, Hornets, AV-8Bs,…

Flying Leathernecks Decals has several subtypes available. That said, if you mount the missiles anyway you can just use thr kit rails, which are representing LAU-7s.

Typhoon rails are different and wouldn’t be correct for a Tornado.

Cheers

Joerg

Ok, thank you for the info

On 2/6/2023 at 9:19 AM, Joerg said:

Jeff,

HTH

Joerg

Is the Tornado ASSTA 3.1 a German Air Force Jet, or did the German Navy use them to? I was thinking about putting some anti ship missiles on it from a German Tornado Marine aircraft. 

4 hours ago, Raptor.777 said:

Is the Tornado ASSTA 3.1 a German Air Force Jet, or did the German Navy use them to? I was thinking about putting some anti ship missiles on it from a German Tornado Marine aircraft. 

No, only used by the Air Force, the Marineflieger retired theirs in 2005, with some issued to the Luftwaffe. The upgrade happened around 2016, that said, I think the Luftwaffe did take some of the anti-ship mission from the Marineflieger. I don't know if the upgraded ASSTA aircraft use it.

On 2/10/2023 at 10:16 AM, barkin mad said:

.... I think the Luftwaffe did take some of the anti-ship mission from the Marineflieger....

The former tasks of the Marineflieger have been pretty much abandoned by the GAF by simply not practicing/executing them. It was predictable back then... 😞

HAJO

Ah, no! Wouldn’t be accurate. We have no GBU-31s AFAIK. You can do a Litening pod on the middle station of the starboard fuselage pylon and a GBU-24 on the port fuselage pylon middle station. For GBU-54 you can fit 2 on the port and center fuselage pylon. Just google Tornado and GBU-24 or GBU-54 and you’ll find pics.

cheers,

Joerg

1 hour ago, Raptor.777 said:

So would this be a feasible weapon load for this aircraft: Litening pod on front starboard position on starboard bomb pylon, GBU 24 behind Litening pod, 2 GBU 31 JDAMs on port bomb pylon, nothing in center bomb pylon?

Jeff

Aside from the fact the 6000 lbs of bombs isn’t really a practical bomb load for a Tornado, I don’t think there is room for two GBU-31s or a LITENING pod and a GBU-24 on the same pylon.

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Ah, no! Wouldn’t be accurate. We have no GBU-31s AFAIK. You can do a Litening pod on the middle station of the starboard fuselage pylon and a GBU-24 on the port fuselage pylon middle station. For GBU-54 you can fit 2 on the port and center fuselage pylon. Just google Tornado and GBU-24 or GBU-54 and you’ll find pics.

cheers,

Joerg

Is the only spot that the Litening can be attached to is starboard bomb pylon middle position?

Jeff

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

cheers,

Joerg

How about Litening in middle station starboard side pylon, GBU54 on middle pylon and 2 GBU54s on port side bomb pylon?

Jeff,

I don’t know how many GBU-54s can be mounted or if all stations have been wired to accept GBUs. Same regarding the Litening pod. I have only ever seen them on the middle station of the starboard fuselage pylon. 
Maybe someone else can step in here?

BR Joerg 

2 hours ago, Raptor.777 said:

Wasnt on the same pod. Port and starboard pods. Joerg had said in his last post that the german airforce doesnt use GBU 31s, so that shoots down that idea

Jeff

I meant two GBU-31s on one pylon or a LITENING pod and GBU-24 on another pylon, not all 4 on one pylon.  I don’t think the length of the bombs would allow two of them to fit on the same Tornado pylon, one behind the other as you want.  But, it’s your model so do as you like.

3 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I meant two GBU-31s on one pylon or a LITENING pod and GBU-24 on another pylon, not all 4 on one pylon.  I don’t think the length of the bombs would allow two of them to fit on the same Tornado pylon, one behind the other as you want.  But, it’s your model so do as you like.

I'm sorry guys, just trying to be accurate here. I'll figure it out

Thanks for the replies

Jeff

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

They are capable of carrying more than one bomb, but the physical sizes of certain weapons limit how many can be carried and where they can be carried.

Makes sense. Maybe that is why they are getting phased out for the Eurofighter Typhoon

On 2/12/2023 at 10:42 AM, Joerg said:

cheers,

Joerg

Would any JDAMs work on this tornado or is all laser guided and free fall bombs?