CD72145 - 1/72 SH-3 Sea King

+1 on the vote for including low-viz choices, but TBH there's never been much more available in 1:72 for fleet squadrons in hi-viz either.

I'd hope to see some of the more notable periods in carrier ops represented:

HS-9 on Nimitz circa The Final Countdown/Eagle Claw/Gulf of Sidra Incident

HS-17 from Coral Sea c. Prairie Fire/Eldorado Canyon

HS-6 on Enterprise during Operation Praying Mantis

Or pretty much anything from Desert Shield/Storm, particular personal preference for HS-8/CVW-14 off Independence, HS-3 from Saratoga, HS-9 off TR, and HS-12 on Midway.

https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/sh-3.html

• KursadA changed the title to CD72145 - 1/72 SH-3 Sea King
7 hours ago, Quixote74 said:

+1 on the vote for including low-viz choices, but TBH there's never been much more available in 1:72 for fleet squadrons in hi-viz either.

I'd hope to see some of the more notable periods in carrier ops represented:

HS-9 on Nimitz circa The Final Countdown/Eagle Claw/Gulf of Sidra Incident

'The Final Countdown' SH-3H's have already been done:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HUN72245

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HUN48245

3 hours ago, andyf117 said:

'The Final Countdown' SH-3H's have already been done

Appreciate the info, however I'd prefer to support @KursadA (esp. in his own forum) and frankly unless inflation has a much more horrendous impact than I would expect on Caracal's retail pricing it will represent a much greater value for a single sheet (not to mention being easier to acquire in the U.S.).

I'd like to see this scheme in 1/72 and 1/48 , PAX River SAR last Sea King in US Navy markings

https://www.airwarriors.com/community/threads/navy-bids-farewell-to-the-venerable-sea-king-and-marines-say-thank-you.33440/

54 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I'd like to see this scheme in 1/72 and 1/48 , PAX River SAR last Sea King in US Navy markings

https://www.airwarriors.com/community/threads/navy-bids-farewell-to-the-venerable-sea-king-and-marines-say-thank-you.33440/

Second and with HMX-1 scheme for this bird would be a nice pairing. 

2 hours ago, Quixote74 said:

Appreciate the info, however I'd prefer to support @KursadA (esp. in his own forum) and frankly unless inflation has a much more horrendous impact than I would expect on Caracal's retail pricing it will represent a much greater value for a single sheet (not to mention being easier to acquire in the U.S.).

I understand that, but Kursad may not want to duplicate a scheme which is already available - my mention of the HAD sheets were as much a 'heads up' to him as anything; in my experience, aftermarket producers usually like to know what direct competition there may or may not be for an intended product...

I am aware of any SH-3 sheet that I can find online;and with all due respect for their efforts I think my product and audience are different enough that I have zero concern in covering the same subject. I have other plans for the Nimitz CAG so it may end up not being on this Sea King sheet. I fully understand you posted the link with the best intentions; I think I will have a much more appealing item.

Edited by KursadA
10 hours ago, KursadA said:

I am aware of any SH-3 sheet that I can find online;and with all due respect for their efforts I think my product and audience are different enough that I have zero concern in covering the same subject. I have other plans for the Nimitz CAG so it may end up not being on this Sea King sheet. I fully understand you posted the link with the best intentions; I think I will have a much more appealing item.

I would love to see you produce "theme" sets, such as the CAG/CVW-8 Nimitz you reference.  Microscale used to do special sets, such as aircraft of a certain CVW or squadron, but from different eras. 

Rod.

My vote is for Hi or Lo Viz H-3s from HC-2 Fleet Angels. They had a det in Bahrain called the Desert Ducks.  If they landed on your ship the crewman or rescue swimmer would jump out and spray paint a set of duck feet on your landing deck. They also flew the VIP mission from Norfolk with the former Presidential VH-3As, in a scheme very similar to HMX-1, but without the white top.

The SH-3s from the Apollo missions have been reasonably well covered but the SH-3s used in the astronaut recovery portions of the Gemini and Mercury programs have not received their fair share of attention. I have done some research into thos machines so let me know if they might be of interest.

LD.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 4:07 AM, Ed Nirel said:

I've been wanting to do a low-vis SH-3 since The Hunt for Red October featured one with a large low-vis American flag on the side.

Yes,

This one:a-left-side-view-of-an-sh-3h-sea-king-he

Been waiting for markings for a LONG time

Brother Don,

Very interesting find there!  The Air Force was so desperate to find a replacement for the CH-21Bs for Texas Tower support that they borrowed three Sikorsky HSS-2s (SH-3A) from the Navy in late 1961 to early 1962 as CH-3Bs.  BuNos 149009, 149011 & 149012 became USAF 62-12571-73 respectively.  They served until 1971 when retired to MASDC. Two went to civil operators and one is still flying with Croman.  While testing the transferred USN machines in early 1962, the USAF ordered three purpose-built CH-3Bs with serials 62-12574/76.  After the demise of the Texas Towers, these served in various roles until retirement in the 1971 timeframe.  Interestingly, 62-12574, named "Otis Falcon" was taken on charge by the Navy in 1974 as 212574 and converted to SH-3G standards, then upgraded to SH-3H standards in 1977.  Sadly, it was written off 3 Aug 1984 while serving with HS-6.  12575 also served with the Navy as SH-3G 212575, before being wfu and converted to a S-61T Triton for the Dept of State. It has since been passed to the Argentine Navy as 0886 in 2019. 12576 went to Croman as N1048Y, upgraded to S-61T and is current today.

A worthy subject, indeed.

K/r,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
polish