CD72145 - 1/72 SH-3 Sea King

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

Wow - so the former 'Outpost Mission' bird is still around!

This is really awesome Andy.  For some reason I missed this the first time around.  Thanks for reposting.  I have the Hasegawa 1/48 kit in the stash with plans to build a USAF Sea King.  Though mine will be the boring silver with red trim.

9 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

This is really awesome Andy.  For some reason I missed this the first time around.  Thanks for reposting.  I have the Hasegawa 1/48 kit in the stash with plans to build a USAF Sea King.  Though mine will be the boring silver with red trim.

Thanks! Your USAF one doesn't have to be "boring silver" though, you could do it in 'Engine Gray' with DayGlo nose and tail, as seen in a number of the photos in the .pdf article linked to in the first part of my thread - note that if you were to do one of those or 'The Otis Falcon' as in your preceding pic, they originally lacked the shroud over the rear doghouse vent.

I had not noticed that Andy.   Thanks for pointing it out.   I did pick up replacement sponsons that do away with the ASW gear in the kit.   I plan to use your build article on what needs to be done to accurately do this bird right. 

3 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

I did pick up replacement sponsons that do away with the ASW gear in the kit.   I plan to use your build article on what needs to be done to accurately do this bird right. 

You'll need to remove the flotation bags from those, and re-position the nav lights - as per my notes!

I would love to see markings for one of the RH-3As. (Hint, click the small camera icons for photos.)  These were all converted from early model HSS-2s and had uprated engines, a port side door and two bulged windows installed aft as well as the towing gear.  It didn't last long before the RH-53s took over and the towing gear was removed.  The extra side door and bulged windows made them great utility transports and I think several went to the Pacific Missile Range Facility, Kekaha, Hawaii for drone recovery or to the AUTEC range on Andros Island for torpedo recovery. Some also served at Station SAR birds, such as NAS Point Mugu. Any or all of these markings would make great additions to a Sea King sheet.

K/r, Dutch

4 hours ago, Dutch said:

I would love to see markings for one of the RH-3As. (Hint, click the small camera icons for photos.)  These were all converted from early model HSS-2s and had uprated engines, a port side door and two bulged windows installed aft as well as the towing gear.  It didn't last long before the RH-53s took over and the towing gear was removed.  The extra side door and bulged windows made them great utility transports and I think several went to the Pacific Missile Range Facility, Kekaha, Hawaii for drone recovery or to the AUTEC range on Andros Island for torpedo recovery. Some also served at Station SAR birds, such as NAS Point Mugu. Any or all of these markings would make great additions to a Sea King sheet.

K/r, Dutch

I get to do another shameless plug! 🤣

Seriously, though, any RH-3A/UH-3A markings would really need to come with the additional cabin door and rear windows as a conversion 'package'...

14 hours ago, andyf117 said:

I get to do another shameless plug! 🤣

Seriously, though, any RH-3A/UH-3A markings would really need to come with the additional cabin door and rear windows as a conversion 'package'...

Yes - you could probably scratch-build all the claptrap that went with the mine-sweeping mission: http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2022/12/sikorsky-rh-3a-seaking-minesweeper.html

• 4 months later...

Is there a possibility of issuing this sheet in 1/144 as well? The AFV Club kit looks to be a fine little kit that needs some attention from your good self. 👍

LD.

P.S. I second the calls for including the USAF SH-3 62-12571 used on the "outpost Mission". It is a colourful and unique scheme. 

If it's OK, I'd like to suggest the following aircraft for consideration as subjects in the up-coming SH-3 sheet.

First up is 62-12571 employed on the "Outpost Mission" evacuation plan for the U.S. President in the eventuality of a nuclear attack on the U.S. capital. Thankfully, this was one helicopter that never had cause to ferry the President! 💣 It was attached to the 2857th Test Squadron based at Olmsted AFB. Thanks to AndyF117 for bringing this machine to wider attention. 

outpost

Next up is another USAF CH-3, attached to the 6593rd Test Squadron based at Hickam AFB in Hawai'i and employed on satellite recovery operations, recovering photographic film capsule recovery. They were painted in overall aluminium dope and often carried dual external fuel tanks.

CH_3B_JAY_MERZ

Next up is a pair of SH-3s from the USMC's HMX-1. The first one is 148041 pictured on the South Lawn on the occasion of the then U.S. President's first flight in the Army's brand new VH-3A on the 8th of May 1962. It was fitted with a winch. 

ST-159-7-62

Finally, for now, is 148043, a USMC SH-3G that apparently was sometimes employed by the "White Side" of HMX-1. It features a placard holder so does appear to have been involved in VIP flights around Washington.

sh-3g_148043

LD.

I should have read the very first post in this thread. This sheet is dedicated to Navy SH-3s only. 🤦‍♂️ I guess that means my previous suggestions are null and void.

The SH-3s of the Apollo recovery missions have been well-documented and numerous decals have been released covering "Old 66" as well as other Apollo recovery Sea Kings. The Gemini recovery operations have received less attention. Here is 152134, an SH-3A of HS-3, "The Tridents". It performed the recovery of Charles Conrad and Richard Gordon, the crew of Gemini XI, on the 16th of September 1966. As can be seen in one of the photos, it carried a little piece of artwork on the nose related to the recovery! The red carpet on the steps was a nice touch too. The unit crest featuring on the rotor doghouse was also repeated on the forward crew door. The sponsons and centre panel above the windshield also feature squadron-related artwork. 

NASA-Gemini-11-1966-8x10-Photograph-Astronaut-Charles

rec10

Unlike other SH-3As employed on recovery duties during that era, 2134 doesn't appear to have the Yagi antennae fitted. Dual cameras are fitted below and to the rear of the doorway to record the winching-in of the crew. It is certainly a colourful machine with its high-viz markings. 2134 also recovered the crew of Gemini X previously.

LD. 

Edited by Loach Driver

2134 was a subject on the old 1/72 scale Modeldecal sheet No. 9 from about 1970.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/modeldecal-9-united-states-navy--128290

If you have one of the first printings of this sheet, you'll find that whatever they used for the clear carrier did not respond to decal solvents. I even tried dipping an item in lacquer thinner and it just floated there. Later Modeldecal reprinted the sheet with a more user-friendly carrier film. Those old sheets were excellent, but now pretty rare! That would be a nice addition to a new sheet!