4 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Nope, unfortunately that's one of the drawbacks of using this paint and, a big reason why I don't use it.

Steve

Yes I am done with this paint. 10 coats to get barely acceptable opacity? What's up with all the RAVE reviews??? Dai 

1 hour ago, dai phan said:

Yes I am done with this paint. 10 coats to get barely acceptable opacity? What's up with all the RAVE reviews??? Dai 

Like anything else, some people like it others don't. I personally am not a fan but, that's me.

Steve

Which type of MRP paint, Lacquer or Water based?

What color is it?

What color of plastic or primer are you are applying it too?

Are you mixing completely prior to painting?

I use MRP lacquers for about 85% of my paint work.  I've only had one issue with a bottle of dark ghost gray being too thick to spray correctly, so I had to thin with Mr. Color Leveling thinner.  I get full coverage in 2 coats, which is the same as I do with heavily thinned Mr. Color lacquers.  I spray it on top of Mr. Surfacer 1500 primer.

9 hours ago, Nathant said:

You realize it’s pre-thinned and you’re not adding extra thinner are you? I’ve used MRP before and have never needed that many coats, especially over a good primer. Are you using a primer?

True, straight from the bottle. Dai 

18 hours ago, dai phan said:

I think you may have gotten a bad bottle. I don't use MRP exclusively, but i do use more than occasionally; never had problem. Out of curiosity, are you adding thinner?

14 hours ago, goondman said:

I think you may have gotten a bad bottle. I don't use MRP exclusively, but i do use more than occasionally; never had problem. Out of curiosity, are you adding thinner?

I do not use thinner. I think it is too thin out of the bottle. Dai

Hi all,

This is what I learn about MRP. The surface MUST be unform in sheeness and color. That means if you prime with black color and you have to sand away an area to remove lint that causes underlying color to show through, you MUST reprime the area. If not it will take 10 coats. Because the paint is so thin, it will take 10 coats to achieve opacity to hide the color defect. Mr Color you get away with 2 at the most. Also after you apply the MRP, if you have to sand to remove surface inperfections (lint, rough spots), then it will take about 10 coats to make the surface even again. In my hands, MRP is not a forgiving paint. Dai  

As others have observed, it's prethinned and goes down smooth right out of the bottle.  If you're not looking to mottle or preshade for your final product, then you might try something that's not as opaque.  The thinness of MRP allows you to achieve excellent tonal variations by building it up slowly, so you don't necessarily need/want a uniform base coat.  If you're using a black base, it's going to take some effort to over come that, regardless of what paint brand you're using.  10 coats seems excessive, but if you're shooting white over black (for example), it's going to take more passes with MRP.

If you're just wanting to hose on a single coat and be done, MRP probably isn't the solution for you.