Tamiya X-22 weathering question

Is Tamiya X-22 clear acrylic thinned with Mr. Leveling Thinner proof against enamel washes (and the enamel thinner cleanup therein?) if I went one step further and did the leveling trick of spraying a coat of MLT only on top off my X-22 clear coat would that also resist enamel washes and thinners?

Thanks. 

16 hours ago, CFster said:

Is Tamiya X-22 clear acrylic thinned with Mr. Leveling Thinner proof against enamel washes (and the enamel thinner cleanup therein?) if I went one step further and did the leveling trick of spraying a coat of MLT only on top off my X-22 clear coat would that also resist enamel washes and thinners?

Thanks. 

I've never er had a problem with enamel wash bleeding thru. As for spraying a coat over, it won't provide any extra protection (that I'm aware of)

More concerned if that extra coat will make it more likely to react. Spraying a final coat of just leveling thinner, only a dust coat, kind of melts the top of the gloss coat and makes it very smooth for a gloss finish.

4 hours ago, CFster said:

More concerned if that extra coat will make it more likely to react. Spraying a final coat of just leveling thinner, only a dust coat, kind of melts the top of the gloss coat and makes it very smooth for a gloss finish.

I do it myself and haven't had a problem

On 2/9/2023 at 9:31 PM, CFster said:

Thanks. 

MLT is lacquer, and by definition, hot. It could wipe out the gloss finish along with paint under it. It's best to buff the X22 gloss surface, using your preferred compound, to achieve the smooth finish instead.

34 minutes ago, MA Cooke said:

Follow up queation: is it OK to spray Mr. Color lacquers onto (dried/cured) X-22 gloss?

Sure can..... Tamiya X-22 It's an Acrylic Lacquer so spraying a Lacquer over top would not be an issue and at any point to be honest. Just be careful to not go too heavy it could reactivate and can ruin the finish. Using Tamiya and MLT I have done all colors including clear coats in one session.  Never had one issue with 100's of models completed.  To your original question. I do just that for almost every build Seal with X-22 thinned with MLT. Then I use Tamiya Panel Liners cleaned up with mineral spirits. I also use store brand enamel thinner when I run out of mineral spirit.

2 hours ago, viper730 said:

Sure can..... Tamiya X-22 It's an Acrylic Lacquer so spraying a Lacquer over top would not be an issue and at any point to be honest. Just be careful to not go too heavy it could reactivate and can ruin the finish. Using Tamiya and MLT I have done all colors including clear coats in one session.  Never had one issue with 100's of models completed.  To your original question. I do just that for almost every build Seal with X-22 thinned with MLT. Then I use Tamiya Panel Liners cleaned up with mineral spirits. I also use store brand enamel thinner when I run out of mineral spirit.

What Viper said. My experiences are the same as his. 

4 hours ago, viper730 said:

That's what I'm thinking of. I'm almost done with decals on Dog 100, and wanted to seal them up.

20230218_175433.jpg

12 minutes ago, MA Cooke said:

That's what I'm thinking of. I'm almost done with decals on Dog 100, and wanted to seal them up.

20230218_175433.jpg

That's one Sexy Centerfold for sure! Currently building Nickel 102 OEF .....and yes that one or a similar VF-143 A/C is on the list.

1 hour ago, viper730 said:

That's one Sexy Centerfold for sure! Currently building Nickel 102 OEF .....and yes that one or a similar VF-143 A/C is on the list.

Thanks.

This one's sort of running concurrent.

20230218_230727.jpg