Any word on Quinta cockpits for the ZM and Meng F-4Gs, and the Tamiya F-35A?

I have all 3 kits on order, and will arrive this coming Saturday, but no cockpit enhancements for any of them.  Is there any word in any previews about 3D cockpits for those 3 planes by Quinta, or even Red Fox or Eduard Space?  I've gotten to the point that I don't even want to consider a jet cockpit unless there are 3D vinyl aftermarket sets for them.  How quickly I've become completely spoiled!  I really don't even want to consider Eduard color photo etch panels, but if that was the ONLY thing available, i'd at least see how good the PE looks.

Edited by Curt B

It will take some time for each of those manufacturers to produce something for the cockpits. First they have to get the kit, start work of adapting the parts for the given kit, production and then to get it in the post to you. I would say it is at least a month or two in the future.

Eduard is not famous for doing it quick and after all they have so many other things to do. The Space thing for them is just one small line out of so many. They have a production plan and a very limited human side of design so it takes some time!

Have no ide about the black fox. Never seen any of them.

Quinta is on the "other side" so to say, for them there are more problems, first getting the kit and second to export the cockpit sets. It works, and it is possible but it is not as easy and fast as it was before the war. Still I think the Quinta cockpits are the best thing around! They were the pioneers in producing 3D printed cockpits and they are way ahead of any other company in terms of detail and quality!!! Basically they are producing around 10 new sets each week!!!! and by now cover a lot of ground both in the air and for AFV. I know they have (I have them) sets for Phantoms so it would be fairly easy to adjust the cockpits for the given kit, but first they would need the actual kit to be able to do the design. 

So be patient, it will be made but it will take some time. (which ever Co. is doing it)

Best regards

Gabor

To be honest, I think the quality of Red (not black) Fox is on par with Quinta with regards to instrument and switch detail.  Where they are a bit behind is in the non-black areas of the cockpit (areas painted in the base cockpit color).  The colors are usually off and seem to be a bit pixelated.  They also just do the IP and side consoles, no sidewalls or seat belts are included, so they are usually cheaper than the Quinta sets, although now Quinta is starting to come out with basic versions of their sets.  I’d rate the Eduard Space 3D panels definitely below Red Fox and Quinta.  But Eduard is relatively cheap, and usually comes with a small PE set that includes seat belts, and maybe a few other details.

As mentioned before for Quinta it is the core business, so they try to be the best in it. Eduard is good in some things but not in everything, although they would like to be. It is visible that they are trying to do everything in house to cut down on costs but it does not work with everything. 

The important thing is that sooner or later there will be an excellent aftermarket cockpit for almost every kit. 

Best regards

Gabor

I noticed a few things from Eduard announced for the March lineup for the Tamiya F-35A namely the instrument panel, PE, masks, and what looks like weighted wheels. The masks certainly are interesting addition. I am still on the fence as to doing the spraying myself or trying out the decals for the RAM panels. Later I’ll try some kit RAM decals on a not so visible section. Both decals / self spraying takes time and skill and I do believe both would work out fantastically. 

For what its worth timewise I bought an Italeri f-35b from Italy August 28th (slighty after they were available.)

Hobby nut models just shipped me the quinta cockpit set for the italeri b Wednesday or Thursday this week.  I pre-ordered prior.  So about 6 months from the kit being available to a cockpit set.

I dont think quinta released any sets for the meng hornets until the E, F and G were out by meng.  So unfortunately not really a set time.  Just have to sot tight and be patient.  And hope that you dont give up, start the kit and then they release it right after you get to far in your build to not use them, hahaha 

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my question.  I guess I am just impatient, and so many things have gotten to be almost instantaneous in our on-line/digital world.  However, I am also a realist.  I'm sure that all 3 of these kits will eventually have at least Quinta cockpit sets, if not some of the other manufacturer sets as well.  I can wait.  I'm scheduled to get my 2 F-4G and the F-35A kits tomorrow (Monday), but I've got SO MANY other airplanes where I have all the necessary aftermarket things that I am certainly able to keep myself busy until these kits get Quinta sets,  I am still working on my first F-4C kit (the ZM),and I also have the ZM F-4S, the Tamiya F-4B, and four 1/48 F-14s (the AMK F-14D, the Tamiya F-14D, and two Tamiya F-14A [late, carrier launch] kits), with all the needed goodies.  If I decided to just do those, it would take a few years at my build rates, and by THEN, these new kit Quinta sets should certainly exist!! 😊  

But thanks for bringing me back into reality, guys!

Edited by Curt B

I grabbed a couple of the Redfox ZM F-4G sets and really they are ok but on close inspection lack a pile of detail on Quinta stuff.

Things like instrument faces are pretty well same same compared to the stunning detail in my other Quinta ZM sets.

In 48th unless you look really closely you wont see it.

Seriously was thinking long about the colour PE set from ZM as it looks more vibrant and holding the Redfox beside the etch set really it was not much to pick.

Redfox needs to step up the 3D part of their sets as compared directly to the Quinta ones for the F-4C/D they are less prominent.

In short ok but if i coukd buy Quinta i would every time.

Edited by dehowie
On 2/12/2023 at 11:30 PM, dehowie said:

I grabbed a couple of the Redfox ZM F-4G sets and really they are ok but on close inspection lack a pile of detail on Quinta stuff.

Things like instrument faces are pretty well same same compared to the stunning detail in my other Quinta ZM sets.

In 48th unless you look really closely you wont see it.

Seriously was thinking long about the colour PE set from ZM as it looks more vibrant and holding the Redfox beside the etch set really it was not much to pick.

Redfox needs to step up the 3D part of their sets as compared directly to the Quinta ones for the F-4C/D they are less prominent.

In short ok but if i coukd buy Quinta i would every time.

I appreciate your comments.  I've used all 3 of the 'major' sets (Quinta, Red Fox, and Eduard Space), and I prefer Quinta, not necessarily by a wide margin, but definitely would wait for a Quinta set for a particular plane rather than take sooner available set by one of the other 2 manufacturers.  I now have the 1/48 Meng F-4G, Zoukei Mura F-4G and the Tamiya F-35A in hand, and I'm going to wait for Quinta to come up with sets for all of them.

• 2 months later...

It's been awhile since I or anyone posted in this thread, but thought I'd say a few things.  First, as of the moment, I've still not seen an Quinta set for the Tamiya F-35A, nor any announcement of it to be forthcoming, but I could have missed it.  Secondly, I was happy to see an early mask set for the RAM panels out by Eduard, which I have just ordered, along with their Tface set for this kit, and Eduard weighted wheels.  I have not yet started the build but paging though the instructions, I noted some Tamiya corrections, adjust for painting!  I remain impressed with Tamiya'a attention to detail!!!

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Quinta has cockpit sets for the Meng F-4G, as well as a belly strap, on the way.

Yes what Dave said.  The F-4g set and the Academy a-10c set were posted on Quinta's site.  I was trying to find this thread and couldn't to update Curtb.

If I am a betting man I bet we see a set for the Tamiya f-35 sooner rather than later.

Thanks, guys.  I actually already have the belly strap from GT Resin, which I just put on my Meng kit last night.  I must admit that both separating the resin pieces from the molding block, and actually gluing the 3 parts in place, was at the very limit of my skills, and when completed, not altogether satisfying.  It was impossible for me to secure the pieces on the underside section of the model without making a mess of the glue, which seeped out and covered quite a bit of the exposed plastic.  I'm hoping that after a layer of primer and a few layers of final color coat, the differences in the plastic 'sheen', the result of the oozed glue which I cleaned up as best I could with a wet Q-Tip (I used the water based Ammo Ultra Glue) will subside.  Wish I had known Meng was going to do their usual great work on the belly strap also.  I would have waited.

Regarding the Quinta set for the Meng F-4G, thank you Dave and mike...I hadn't been keeping up with developments.  I looked at the Quinta website, and the Quinta parts for the Meng F-4G look absolutely spectacular!  I will certainly wait to beginning construction of my Meng kit (save for the belly strap I already glued on) to begin thinking about actually starting the build.  Besides, I have a 1/48 Tamiya F-4B in progress which needs to be completed first (like that has ever stopped me before 😉)   Now, hope for a similar Quinta set for the GWH F-4G.  By the way, have you folks noted, as I have, the extremely steep prices of the latest Quinta sets?!?!

Edited by Curt B

Some views of the Quinta 3D decals for the Meng F-4G. They made many versions, there is an early G and late G version, from each of these there are small sets which don’t have the ejection seat and other extras and there are the big sets.

aSDbXkf.jpg

EHVZlnI.jpg

xjSibC8.jpg

And the late version

c7lTgOu.jpg

Also a special version is provided where a “Tube” for the display in RIO’s office is provided as a 3D print.

5kdbu9j.jpg

Of course there is the reinforcement strap as well.

uQJhjd7.jpg

hwiZ7ll.jpg

mLXnDun.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Some views of the Quinta 3D decals for the Meng F-4G. They made many versions, there is an early G and late G version, from each of these there are small sets which don’t have the ejection seat and other extras and there are the big sets.

aSDbXkf.jpg

EHVZlnI.jpg

xjSibC8.jpg

And the late version

c7lTgOu.jpg

Also a special version is provided where a “Tube” for the display in RIO’s office is provided as a 3D print.

5kdbu9j.jpg

Of course there is the reinforcement strap as well.

uQJhjd7.jpg

hwiZ7ll.jpg

mLXnDun.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Thank you, Gabor.  Do you know whether Quinta’s intent was to have the belly strap added after the final paint layer, or whether it should’ve installed first and then painted the final color?

23 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Thank you, Gabor.  Do you know whether Quinta’s intent was to have the belly strap added after the final paint layer, or whether it should’ve installed first and then painted the final color?

Hi Curt,

I don’t have any info on this as I don’t have the actual sets. Only see what they publish every week.

But based on previous sets like the one for a WW2 fighter with external flap details I would expect that of course you add the parts (the straps in this case) to plastic and only after that the paint layers.

But this is only my thinking. It would be logical this way.

Best regards

Gabor

On 4/30/2023 at 9:34 AM, A-10 LOADER said:

Curt, you can purchase the MENG F-4G cockpit decals and the belly strap on Quinta Studio's website.

Steve

Hey Steve, thanks for the info.  I should have been able to figure that out.  I've not been thinking to clearly these last days.  We had to send one of our Corgis to the Rainbow Bridge last week, and I'm not in all one piece.

Edited by Curt B

Keep an eye out for Kelik’s 3D ‘decals’ too. They are produced my Reskit - which used to collaborate with Quinta before the current conflict started.

The Kelik range is not yet as wide as Quinta, but it is growing rapidly.  

Their sets are at least as good as Quinta’s versions and appear to use the same technology - available direct from the Reskit website.