ESzczesniak Posted February 12 Share Posted February 12 I’ve seen a handful of in-box reviews of the new Academy 1/48 A-10C Warthog, but nothing about the build yet. I thought I would share my experience of the build so far…and try to keep this updated. This is going to be a simpler in-progress thread with almost all iphone pictures. It's fairly labor intensive to get out the formal photography stuff for me, and my intent is to share more about the kit than the build techniques. My first impressions purely out of the box are excellent. The surface detail is very nice. True-to-life are a number of rivets around the fuselage and these appear well done. The panel line detail is sharp, although perhaps a touch heavy. Academy used slide molding in an ideal situation, getting raised rivets along the fuselage with effectively no seams and raised details nearly 360 degrees. Unfortunately, there still is a mold parting line along the top of the fuselage. The 3-4 rivets in each line over the apex of the fuselage are already a little flat and will be lost further with sanding this parting line. The damage is minimal in the grand scheme, but is going to benefit from some solution to restore the rivets. I started the build off in order with the nose gear well and the cockpit. The early impressions from here were amazing, almost on par with a Tamiya build. The cockpit and wheel well assemblies fit very well and detail level in the gear bay is overall very good, although perhaps not quite as complete as the Tamiya F-35. Also a bit lacking, the instructions merely suggest to paint everything white. Tamiya pulls an upper hand helping the modeler pain the various fittings in accurate colors and bringing life. Nothing some references can’t overcome. The cockpit is decent, although a bit flat for 1/48. Aftermarket will be able to make an impact here. The decals included for the switches, screens, etc match to the raised details well. However, the instruments themselves a fairly simplified on the front dash. And the green used for the LCD screens is shockingly bright and slightly out of register with the white background used under the green. I painted mine a darker green. I have been frustrated with the failed starts on the Hobby Boss A-10 and the resulting lack of a completed A-10 in my display case (love the brrrrrt!). So my plans is for as simple a OOB as I can get for a completed aircraft. So at the moment I am thinking this will have the pilot figure seated and likely the canopy closed. For these purposes, the OOB cockpit ends up looking pretty nice. Moving much further from here would involve closing the nose section off to adding any additional weight. So I chose to work on building up the aft section to help figure out how much weight to added. Unfortunately, the kit takes a bit of a fall off the top shelf. The build and fit are still very good, but not everything just falls in place and blends without much work. The engine pods fit well, although need a touch of sanding to lower the insert to the same level of the fuselage. Even with this, the joint stands out from the surrounding detail. Some may be happy to write this off as a panel line, the sticklers for finishing seams will be bothered by this. Since I was already going to be replacing some rivet lines with Archer decals, I decided to clean these seams up with a little sanding and a touch or two of superglue filler. The actual seam work was very easy, but rivets are lost and will need to be made up. With that said for the engine pods, the tail assembly including the tail cone and the empennage come together very nicely. The wings continue in a similar theme. I have one and a half built up. They clean up fairly easy, but not without a bit of care. This joint on the undersurface of the wing tip is the most notable. This required a bit of filler and cyanoacrylate. Easy work compared to the Hobby Boss, but in still in need of work. I’d love to see Tamiya’s approach, or perhaps GWH, to make this seam easier. I’m also not a huge fan of the split aileron top/bottom seam. The inner portion has a trim tab and this seam is not too terrible. But the outer portion runs the seam right through more raised detail that I saw no way to save. With all of that said, the overall flap and aileron assembly is much better than Hobby Boss and with much less work! The Hobby Boss is a bear to close the split ailerons, and they don’t look as good even when done. The flaps assembly by the instructions mount to pins in the “up” position. Warthogs shutdown will have the flaps “down” once the hydraulic pressure bleeds off. Since I’m planning on a pilot in the pit, a power birds with the flaps up isn’t unreasonable. For parked birds, it will be easy enough to glue the flaps further after, but there isn’t a fixed locating pin to show exactly how far. I’ve been nervous of the forward-aft joint, but early tests suggest this will work well. Despite my grievances, this is by far the most pleasant A-10 build so far! My reference is primarily the Academy 1/72 and Hobby Boss 1/48, although a couple decades ago I build the Monogram kit too. It’s also the only remotely accurate A-10C available so far. I had been hoping for a bit more given my experience with a couple of their recent kits (1/72 AH-64 and F-15E) that were dreams to build. I think it’s fair to say this kit is currently the King of A-10’s, but it wouldn’t be too hard to see GWH displacing it when they get their kit to market. I don’t know how regular my updates will be, but I will continue to share the build as it progresses. Quote Link to post Share on other sites
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.