Hasegawa 1/48 F-4 horizontal stabilizer

Only today that I realize that the horizontal stabilizer of the Hasegawa kit is shorter than the other manufacturers' samples. I am assembling 4 F-4s at the same time: Tamiya, ZM, ESCI, Hasegawa, for the sake of head-to-head comparison, and lo and behold, the latter's horizontal stabilizer is shorter than the other 3 by about 4 mm (chord is about the same.) I do not recall having read anywhere about this observation. Just to say that we may not have to be picky about every little detail, since it may have gone unnoticed.

The Tamiya kit happens to come with two horizontal stabilizers (1 slotted, one not) so I used the unslotted one for the Hasegawa kit.

The unslotted stab. in the Hasegawa kit is undersized in span and chord. This has long been known, as Hasegawa corrected this in their slotted stab version when they re-tooled for recessed pane lines. So I would use the slotted version in all kits for a more accurate, direct comparison. 

1 hour ago, Ben Brown said:

Hypersonic makes some very nice slotted and unslotted stabs that plug right into the Hasegawa and Academy F-4s. I consider them a must have for the Academy kits.

Ben

Also a must have for any Hasegawa kit requiring an unslotted stab. Because of what I pointed out in my previous post. 

Edited by Nathant
Added info
59 minutes ago, Nathant said:

Also a must have for any Hasegawa kit requiring an unslotted stab. Because of what I pointed out in my previous post. 

True. I stopped typing too soon! 😄

58 minutes ago, Nathant said:

Forgot to mention Doug at Royal Resin, he makes lots of great phantom updates as well

Yup, I even have a set in my stash (that I’d forgotten about). Doug’s products are all top notch.

Ben

On 2/13/2023 at 10:17 PM, RichB63 said:

A common mistake of kit designers is to misinterpret plans, in this case not taking into account the effect of anhedral.

Thanks, Rich. What is the source of the diagram?

Gene K