Help with Krylon spray paint (or, "I'm on the verge of crying")

Hi everyone,

I am (or was, anyway) at the painting stage of my big AMT XB-70 Valkyrie.  I have read where people had good results with Krylon enamel spray paint.  I gave it a try and the result were, indeed, amazing!  Beautiful coverage and perfectly glossy.  However, after it dried, that's when I noticed I had gotten a bit heavy-handed on the fuselage neck and I noticed some runs in the paint.  Okay.  No big deal.  I've fixed paint issues before.  I sanded the offending run marks, masked off just the area I wanted to touch up, then I hit it with the Krylon making sure to go over it with light coats.  That's when disaster hit...

Right before my eyes, I saw certain areas start to wrinkle badly!!!  The paint looked like so much crumpled paper.  It wasn't everywhere; just a spot here and there, but it was enough to bugger up the paint as well as my will to continue with the project.  Herein lies my question:  What do I do?  What would you do?  Should I strip the entire model and start over?  It's a huge model!!!  Should I mask off, strip, then repaint only the area in need of fixing?  I've stripped paint before (it was a long time ago) and it was pretty messy when I used Easy-Off oven cleaner.  Is there a better way to do it?

My assumption is that the issue I experienced with the wrinkled paint was caused by too thick of an application.  Am I wrong about that?  Or was it caused by me applying a layer of paint over an area that hadn't properly cured?

Thanks in advance for all your insight!

Eric

Its reacting with the paint already down.

I would give it a week to let the enamel completely dry (which is probably over kill but you need to let it be completely dry now)
Take out any of the wrinkles and runs with something light sanding, then hit the fuselage and upper wing surfaces with a really fine wet n dry to take the shine off it.
Making sure you use it wet

Once you have taken the surface shine off it try and hit the  fuselage and upper wing surfaces again with the same spray paint.

If that doesnt work then a bin liner and some oven cleaner to strip off the paint will work. But the clean up is a lot of work in itself.

5 hours ago, echolmberg said:

My assumption is that the issue I experienced with the wrinkled paint was caused by too thick of an application.  Am I wrong about that?  Or was it caused by me applying a layer of paint over an area that hadn't properly cured?

In the large scale model railway world, a.k.a. garden railways, there is much discussion, and frequent dissin and cussin, about contemporary spray paints.

It seems the driver of the thing is only sometimes the painter and what the painter did do or did not do, but is more often the modern paint's own chemistry.

And the bizarreities can (sometimes) end positively even though the trend is negative.

For a sample, one of my experiences a couple years back; forget which brand, but had sprayed a bare plastic locomotive body shell yellow.

Due to those classic distractions of life, it was multiple times of the listed minimum time between coats by the time I was able to do a second coat.

Spraying of second coat caused 'moon craters' in first coat on a flat portion of the thing's roof.

😲😧
However ...

A couple days later there was no trace of those craters.

A Good thing.

But, Say What!?

🤔

Spray paint DID NOT behave in such a manner for the first 4 decades of my life.

Edited by southwestforests

Southwest, yes!!!  I noticed the same thing about the Krylon I applied as well.  When I applied the second coat, there were several spots where the paint wrinkled up like crazy.  I'm talking spots between the sizes of a nickel and a quarter.  I set the model on my work bench so I could run off and seethe in anger for a while.  When I returned to the model the following day, I saw that a couple of those wrinkled areas actually became wrinkle-free overnight!  This happened to a few of the spots, but sadly not to all of the spots.  Dang!  I was so close to calling it "good enough" and letting it go at that.  

ElectroSoldier, thank you for the tips.  I have set the model aside just for the time being.  When I return to it, I am going to use your method to fix it.  Very much appreciated!

Thanks to all,

Eric