F-35 RAM Panels - Painted or Decals?

Hi All,

Just got the 1/48 Tamiya F-35A, and just looking at the plastic, the kit is stunning!  I'm curious what the consensus is out there about the RAM panels for F-35 models.  What are people doing for these panels, particularly if you're modeling the original plane, not the newest ones with highly minimized panels.  I've seen a few videos where people were using the Tamiya decals, and with the number of panels on this plane, it looks like a nightmare!  I seem to have a hard time with decals in general, so I'm inclined to do the panels by painting.  Ideally, if some manufacturer with masks, that would be preferable to trying to individually mask each panel, but no matter which way you go, it seems like a great deal of work, masking/painting or decaling.  I'm just curious what most people either have already done, or are planning to do on their F-35 kits, regardless of with kit your have, or which variant you are building.

46 minutes ago, B2Blain said:

I masked a Kittyhawk F-35C and it was a time consuming process. The easiest is to go with a late F-35A, unless you like the look of the RAM being a different color.

Aren't they painting them all one color now?

15 hours ago, Bsin said:

Aren't they painting them all one color now?

They are mostly one color today as I understand it, but they are not nearly as interesting as the original 'look' with the many RAM panels being a different color, in my opinion.  As I wrote in my original post, I'm certain there is no easy way to get those panels to show up.  Either paining them, or using decals, has to be huge effort for the early version of the F-35.  However, my post was really about what people have been doing for those panels, is there a preferred method to highlight those panels, either paint or decal. 

8 minutes ago, Curt B said:

They are mostly one color today as I understand it, but they are not nearly as interesting as the original 'look' with the many RAM panels being a different color, in my opinion.  As I wrote in my original post, I'm certain there is no easy way to get those panels to show up.  Either paining them, or using decals, has to be huge effort for the early version of the F-35.  However, my post was really about what people have been doing for those panels, is there a preferred method to highlight those panels, either paint or decal. 

Thanks. If there being painted all one color,  then it will be easier to paint the model!  LOL 

46 minutes ago, Bsin said:

Thanks. If there being painted all one color,  then it will be easier to paint the model!  LOL 

For sure...it you're happy modeling the latest aircraft 😊  I think I must just be a masochist to want to do all that work!

Since I've managed get through masking up a splinter Viggen before I'd be more inclined to go that route. Provided you're using a more forgiving type of paint like MRP or other acrylic lacquer brands of paint you'll find it much easier to fix mistakes than using decals. 

I am planning (for now) to use the kit decals with my current F-35 build. Knowing it is Tamiya gives me a bit of confidence. For masks: as far as I know, there is one company already producing masks for the Tam F-35 and Eduard will release their own set soon. I will experiment with decals on lesser seen areas first.  

all this masking off panel lines sounds like way to much work. I think I may do a European splinter camo scheme. Call it modelers perogitive. Gunship grey, medium green and european green. This to is a lot of masking but I think it will come out good in the end