Cancel request, Problem solved: 1/72 AN/ALQ-99 Hi/Low Band ECM Jammer Pods (2)

I am looking for a set of aftermarket 1/72 scale AN/ALQ-99 Hi/Low band ECM jamming pods as seen on the EA-6B, EA-18G and ERA-3B.  I need two for an ERA-3B project.  I was surprised that I could not find any in 1/72 scale.  I found Eduard makes two 1/48 scale sets and RetroWings makes two 1/144 sets, but nothing in 1/72 scale.  Other than robbing a Matchbox or Hasegawa/Minicraft EA-6B kit, is there any other aftermarket source available?  I built the Minicraft /Hasegawa kit in the late 70s/early 80s.  I can't remember if it came with just three or a max of five AN/ALQ-99 pods.   Any help appreciated.

K/r,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
Cancel request, item found.

Glynn, 

Thanks for the kind offer as always.  You have come to my rescue more than once.  However, I figured out that the Hasegawa EA-6B comes with five ALQ-99s, and I just found one on evilbay for dirt cheap (missing instructions & decals, but who needs those things?), so I am good.  But I am curious why no aftermarket company has not done these in 1:72 scale.  Maybe the Hasegawa mouldings are really good representations? 

I was able to find the instructions online.  Hmmm, are there decals for the ALQs?   I do have Flying Leathernecks FL72002 Marine Aviation Combat Element with markings for 158542 FrankenProwler ofVMAQ-1.  

K/r,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
  • Dutch changed the title to Cancel request, Problem solved: 1/72 AN/ALQ-99 Hi/Low Band ECM Jammer Pods (2)

Actually, someone did produce them in 1/72, back in the dim and distant, complete with pylons - I have these sitting in my spares box, which most likely came off of one of a large number of built review models that I acquired back in the mid-1990's...

....I'd hazard a guess that they may have been made by C-Scale because, like the vast majority of that range's conversion and accessories sets, they're entirely white metal - look at how much they weigh!

DSCN6690.thumb.JPG.cdb4a6987e4d52ad11804a1e6bd29ff9.JPG

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Ah Andy, you are correct, as usual. Now I do remember a C-Scale 1/72 EA-6A conversion kit for Fujimi or Italeri A-6A/E Intruder kit. That would explain it. I think all their items were white metal, n'est pas?

That would be this one: https://www.scalemates.com/cs/kits/c-scale-ac31-ea-6a-and-a-6e--937582# - which strangely doesn't seem to be listed on the English-language site...

....whilst most of C-Scale's stuff was white metal, there were a few resin components - eg., the nose and fuselage plug in their Tornado F.2/ADV conversion (which I think I still have somewhere!).

And whilst I'd like to think so, I'm not always correct - just ask my wife, she's always right! 🤣

On 2/17/2023 at 4:22 AM, Dutch said:

Glynn, 

Thanks for the kind offer as always.  You have come to my rescue more than once.  However, I figured out that the Hasegawa EA-6B comes with five ALQ-99s, and I just found one on evilbay for dirt cheap (missing instructions & decals, but who needs those things?), so I am good.  But I am curious why no aftermarket company has not done these in 1:72 scale.  Maybe the Hasegawa mouldings are really good representations? 

I was able to find the instructions online.  Hmmm, are there decals for the ALQs?   I do have Flying Leathernecks FL72002 Marine Aviation Combat Element with markings for 158542 FrankenProwler ofVMAQ-1.  

K/r,

Dutch

Hey Dutch,

I do have a couple of them from my EA-6B because I'll be only using three on my Prowler build.  

I've got to get some better decals from UpRise for VMAQ-1 and I'll be ready to get it done.  I think the MicroScale decals I have are a little "off" concerning the Banshee's head shape.  I have a resin cockpit so if I do decide to put resin intakes on her (Don't care to or trust buying Russian stuff now!), it'll be a wrap!

Sorry I couldn't help you sooner but glad you have what you need.  Let me know if you need some lo-viz decals for the pods.

Take Care my Friend,

WARDOG

Edited by Glynn Jacobs
Corrections