Monogram F-9F Panther

Working on the F-9F that I got from @scorvi

It'll be a semi-what if.  I am going to use decals from last years IPMS Nationals in Omaha to make Lieutenant Royce Williams 4-kill jet.  Officially credited with two (until recently) I will put 4 MiG kills on it (what if; as in,what if the Navy had been honest that day 😁)

F-9F Panther Cover

Great kit, built it back when it first came out.   I recall adding weight to the nose so it would sit on its landing gear.

IIRC, had raised panel lines?    I think Monogram started tooling with recessed panel lines after this.

35 minutes ago, toadwbg said:

Great kit, built it back when it first came out.   I recall adding weight to the nose so it would sit on its landing gear.

IIRC, had raised panel lines?    I think Monogram started tooling with recessed panel lines after this.

Yeah, raised lines.  Not real tall though.  I will try to save them when sanding.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a lot of work getting done.  I am working on four models (something I said I'd never do).

Cockpit is assembled, need to find the pilot.

2023-03-12_05-35-23

Primed, then put a green zinc into the fuselage and nose wheel well.

2023-03-12_05-37-52

Little uneven color wise, but this is my first time airbrushing a model, I'll get better.

On 2/18/2023 at 10:21 PM, Da SWO said:

what if the Navy had been honest that day

The Earth's poles would probably have shifted 90 degrees. 😁

4 hours ago, Da SWO said:

my first time airbrushing a model, I'll get better.

Hey, a start is a start! 🙂

To borrow a phrasing pattern from my Grandfather, who was in the Navy in WW2, and was civilian pilot afterward, it is more of a start than it would have been were it less of a start than it is.

• 1 month later...

Finished the pilot/cockpit, and glued in over the nose gear assembly. Tail hook and exhaust pipe painted/installed.

2023-04-15_11-21-01

Dawned on my that I can't paint the nose once the cannons are in, so I primed/then painted the nose area.

2023-04-19_05-29-04

The gunports had to be drilled out to get the parts to fit, then I put the cannons in (no pic, sorry).

Edited by Da SWO
  • 1 month later...

Working as timed allows.  Fuselage was assembled a while back.  One side was warped badly, hot water didn't help much.  I slowly squeezed the sides together, glued a segment, let the glue cure, then repeated until it was together.  I puttied/sanded in segments to preserve as much of the raised panel line as possible.  My wife said the tape reminded her of a full-body cast.  ugh.

2023-04-24_11-42-08

After sanding the fuselage I put the bottom half of the wing on.

2023-06-10_12-20-35

As expected, their was a difference in height between the fuselage and bottom of the wing (Wing is taller).  More putty and sanding, but visible progress.

2023-06-10_12-19-54

• 2 weeks later...

Finished sanding the bottom, and put the upper wings on.  Good fit overall, a little warping by the tip tanks, but actually an easy fix.

2023-06-21_07-53-41

I let it sit a day and the put putty on. 

Starting to look like a jet fighter.

6 hours ago, PA28Ace said:

Yes, this is a nice kit, and characteristically Monogram got the shape of the airplane perfect.  The one big problem I remember having with it was a big gap between the top of the wings and fuselage.  I added a lot of glue, put the wing tips on two books so the model was hanging between them, then stacked a pile of books on top of the model so the wings would bend up in a dihedral.  I left it like that for 24 hours and voila!  No gaps!  I built this one while stationed in Korea 18 years ago!

DSC_0147.thumb.JPG.d4e434f9cc8afeb81fcd2e6731177f8f.JPG

Nice,

Are the holes in the leading edge of the tip tanks a mistake?  My reference photos show a dimple, but it doesn't look like a hole to me.  I was thinking I'd partially fill it with white glue.

11 hours ago, Da SWO said:

Nice,

Are the holes in the leading edge of the tip tanks a mistake?  My reference photos show a dimple, but it doesn't look like a hole to me.  I was thinking I'd partially fill it with white glue.

There was a hole there. If the pilot needed to empty the tip tanks of fuel in flight (they couldn't be dropped), air coming through that hole was necessary to jettison the fuel in the tanks. The valve tended to leak, so you will see pictures of parked F9F Panthers with plugs in those holes.

On 3/12/2023 at 11:54 PM, Da SWO said:

Not a lot of work getting done.  I am working on four models (something I said I'd never do).

Cockpit is assembled, need to find the pilot.

2023-03-12_05-35-23

Primed, then put a green zinc into the fuselage and nose wheel well.

2023-03-12_05-37-52

Little uneven color wise, but this is my first time airbrushing a model, I'll get better.

You do know there's a dedicated sub-forum for in-progress build photos? it's called In-Progress Pics.

1 hour ago, seawinder said:

You do know there's a dedicated sub-forum for in-progress build photos? it's called In-Progress Pics.

Yes, I accidentally started it in this one.

Please move it for me.

On 6/26/2023 at 7:57 PM, Da SWO said:

Finished sanding the bottom, and put the upper wings on.  Good fit overall, a little warping by the tip tanks, but actually an easy fix.

2023-06-21_07-53-41

I let it sit a day and the put putty on. 

Starting to look like a jet fighter.

Very nice kit and progress so far.

however, I don’t see that many

modellers using a laptop as their working bench 😉

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2023 at 6:10 AM, BastianD said:

Very nice kit and progress so far.

however, I don’t see that many

modellers using a laptop as their working bench 😉

Very small apartment.  I try to squeeze a little bench work in between class work (teaching, not learning).

Wings were puttied and sanded.  Horizontal stabilizers are on, putty is drying.  Still trying to finish by the end of the month.

2023-07-13_11-20-22

2023-07-13_11-20-57

Still working the seams on the horizontal stabilizers, hoping for success this afternoon.

Having airbrush issues (probably operator error) so I will go with rattle can, Tamiya Semi-Gloss navy Blue.