Educraft Diversions Apollo Era Crawler Transporter - 1/144 Scale

Hi Al,

I'm surprised you bought 120 mesh grid now like you emailed me. :hmmm: Why did you buy it? :dontknow: With 0,125 mm hole size it seems to me to be much too fine in terms of size. :woot.gif:

Think about it, you also have to airbrush it, so I would have concerns whether you would cover the tiny openings (0,125 mm hole size) without knowing how well you can airbrush with your gun.

I had sent you photos of 40 and 50 mesh to compare with your walkway width.

Meanwhile I've also looked at 60 mesh (0,23368 mm hole size),

60 Mesh Brass .0075" Wire Dia

and I think that 50 or 60 mesh might match it and would try one of the two. up040577.gif
Edited by spaceman
58 minutes ago, spaceman said:

Hi Al,

I'm surprised you bought 120 mesh grid now like you emailed me. :hmmm: Why did you buy it? :dontknow: With 0,125 mm hole size it seems to me to be much too fine in terms of size. :woot.gif:

Think about it, you also have to airbrush it, so I would have concerns whether you would cover the tiny openings (0,125 mm hole size) without knowing how well you can airbrush with your gun.

I had sent you photos of 40 and 50 mesh to compare with your walkway width.

Meanwhile I've also looked at 60 mesh (0,23368 mm hole size),

60 Mesh Brass .0075" Wire Dia

and I think that 50 or 60 mesh might match it and would try one of the two. up040577.gif

Hi Manfred, 

I have ordered the 60 mesh and await the delivery. The 120 mesh was 0.1 hole size which based on scale matched the 0.9 hole size of 1:144. The paint was the thing. The 60 mesh will deliver the correct "image" after painting. As always appreciate the help and advice. 

Cheers, Al

Edited by Logan 5

Hi Al,

sorry, somehow I can not follow your scale conversion. :hmmm:

And "the paint was the thing" sounds like you've already painted a grid (how and which one)? :dontknow:

Then paint the 60 mesh grid first, when you got it, to talk about "correct "image" after painting" beforehand is pure speculation. :whistle:

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick update for today, I have the early start of the Crawler cable tray which goes all  around the lower part of the crawler. So the initial design was from the paper kit, I am scratch building this with styrene and other materials

Crawler Cable Tray

image.png.37f4b4fdfe99f557934a0cc2ebc679b7.png

The diagram shows the location points of the brackets that span the undertray to the Crawler underside.

image.png.928a112a7dcf751441bd9cf36ce4325d.png

Next was to cut the profile matching the design, the joins are behind each corner in between the steering arms

image.png.2e4155fc51c1470545076b8e4decf6f6.png

This is the check for size, the edges of the undertray will have edging strip attached. Then the brackets attached, this will then be sprayed.

The material to replicate the cable needs to be investigated. Once done, the brackets will be glued to the crawler underside. Early days yet,

the Side 1, 2, 3 & 4 walkways are just above the cable tray with the support brackets. So will be looking into maybe incorporating the walkway

support brackets into the design at this stage. This would then support the weight of the walkways as it does on the Crawler in real life.

image.png.b96fade507deb727497d5616a286f08f.png  

A dry fit on Side 3, at this point a little like a front bumper....

That is the very quick initial plan of the Cable Tray, when more time is available the prototype walkway will be complete. Also the mesh experiments finalised and the cable for the cable tray sourced.

Have a good week everyone.

All the best 

Al

• 2 months later...

Hi Manfred,

It has been very busy and some fluid situations! I have just arrived back from Las Vegas, Nevada for my Daughter's wedding and then by the end of August I will have retired. This then should allow me time then to get the Crawler completed.

Hope all is well with you,

All the Best.

Al

Edited by Logan 5