Iwata Eclipse HP-CS and Iwata Revolution HP-BR question..

I am looking into getting a Iwata HP-CS to replace my 20 year old Aztek.

One suggestion was that the Iwata Revolution HP-BR is similar to the HP-CS model but is cheaper. I have read the Amazon reviews and the CS is fantastic!
Amazon reviews for Iwata HP-CS

What's the difference?

Does anyone have both brushes and can tell me the differences?

Thanks for your help.

Scott
CNJC-IPMS

P.S.

I only use MM and AMMO acrylics in the airbrush. NO enamels or lacquers.

Edited by F-16

I've used HP-CS for a few years and have nothing bad to say. It is well made and with 0.5 and 0.35mm nozzles covers practically all needs. However for its price there are better options, Procon Boy PS-289 or PS-270. These are essentially the same aibrush with different nozzles: 0.3 and 0.2mm respectively and some parts are interchangeable with Iwata. I've replaced my HP-CS with PS-270 and never looked back. It has the same build quality, lower price and better paint flow control, so I'd recommend PS-289/270.

The 0.35 HP-CS is my daily airbrusher.  Never any issue.  I also have a 0.5 HP-CR for doing thicker stuff like primers.  One big difference with the BR is that it has a much smaller color cup than the CS.  That could be an issue if you have to paint a large area in that you’ll have to keep refilling the cup.  Also, you’ll have to be careful about swinging the airbrush around as you spray because if you tilt it more than a few degrees to the side, you run the risk of the paint running out of the cup.  That small cup was the dealbreaker for me.  Even though I don’t come close to filling the cup on the CS, I can move the airbrush around without having to worry about paint spilling out of the cup, and have no issues with putting enough paint in the cup so I don’t need to refill in the middle of spraying.  I also have a H&S 0.2 Ultra that I never use because it has the small color cup.

My feeling is that a 0.3-ish nozzle is best for general purpose use and a 0.2 nozzle is mostly for doing fine lines.

Edited by Dave Williams

I love my HP-CS.  To me, the ease of cleaning, due to the compression fit of the nozzle design is huge.  I don't necessarily enjoy the "fiddly" super small threaded nozzles of most other air brushes.  

Though, I must say, in hindsight, that I should have picked the HP-BS, as it does have that smaller cup.  For some reason, I sometimes "look down the shaft" when painting fine lines. and the large cap sometimes gets in my sightline.  Though, Dave's points about cup size above are quite valid.  Currently, the HP-BS is ~$112 on amazon. I guess it depends on your style and use case. 

If you are looking for a cheaper version of the HP-CS then the GSI Creos airbrushes are well worth looking into.

The PS274 is closer to the HP-CS than any other of their line which is on PlazaJapan for £69.

The fit and finish of their airbrushes isnt as good as Iwata but its more than good enough quality to make you think its high quality unless you hold both at the same time.
Performance wise Its hard to tell any difference between them at all.

The PS270 brings a MAC valve to the HP-CS meaning its more like the HP-CH but with a .02 nozzle which means you will need to thin your paints more to get it past the nozzle or dial up the pressure, which kind of defeats the object of it, but...

The MAC valve is there to speed up the flow, which also drops the pressure. (People usually mistake it for a regulator, which it isnt.)

Having said all that the HP-CS is well worth the price, I dont know a single person who bought one and regrets it.

There are others that might do just as well as a HP-CS but all in all it will never let you down.

I brought a Iwata HP-CS over Christmas, great airbrush and a huge step up from the harbor freight brush I used before.

The Iwata seems good for most applications (I build 1/48 and 1/32 aircraft) and I can get a very fine line. The only complaint I have is that the nozzle seems to clog very easily despite using lacquer or acrylic paint (with lacquer thinner).

The HP-CS is a great tool. The Creos Mr.ProCon Boy is also a great tool. I own both and use both. Consider this The Iwata and ProCon Boys are built by the exact same factory. No Iwata does NOT have a factory that builds their Hobby Airbrushes in house. Almost all or maybe even all Japanese branded Air Brush are made by the Fuso Seiki (RichPen) Factory in Japan but that is a whole other discussion. My thought is if you can get the same performance and quality at a better price then why spend the extra just for the name. You can't go wrong with either but if you want to save more than a few $$ buy one of the Creos ProCon Series ABs and to that Spraygunner.com has by far the best prices I've seen anywhere.

13 hours ago, F-16 said:

Thanks everyone for the info. I appreciate it.

I think right now I am going to stick with the Iwata HP-CS version. Maybe look into the CR version as well.

Scott
CNJC-IPMS

If you get the CS then just dont bother with a CR. It will be nothing your CS cant give you.
If you are thinking about another airbrush because you would like two, for instance to use one for metallics, or for primers, then a much much cheaper airbrush like this one is a better bet.

Airbrush Gun kit Fengda FE-180K with 0,2mm and 0,3mm Nozzle : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

Its not something I would recommend unless you already had a reliable workhorse.

It has been said above that there is no difference between an Iwata and a GSI.
If that is true then there is no difference between a GSI and that Fengda FE-180K for the same reason.

There is of course, but the logic works both ways. And why spend £60 when you can spend £20 and get basically the same thing.

Just because two airbrushs are built in the same factory doesn’t mean they are the same.  Each company has their own design and specifications, and the factory simply builds to whatever the particular customer wants.  Not saying the GSI airbrushs aren’t good, but saying they are the same as Iwata just because they are made in the same factory isn’t true.

• 2 weeks later...